PDA

View Full Version : Fun builds adding forced movement to a SG-focussed cleric

Hiro Quester
2023-04-22, 05:52 PM
I think I'm about to play a cleric because our cleric died, and I have a new character that I'm not totally loving. Unsure of domain yet (advice about particular domains that synergies well would be welcome)

I'm probably going to use Spirit Guardians a lot. To use it well it helps to also have a source of forced movement, so I can get enemies to also take damage by entering the SG on my turn as well as beginning their own turn there.

I can see a few different options, some of which might bring more fun features than others.

Telekinetic feat (bonus action telekinetic shove). This can go on just about any build (+1 Wisdom, too), and can be an excellent use of bonus action. Strength save to resist.
Druid cantrip thorn whip (range 30 ft, move an enemy 10 ft (no save to movement if you hit).
Crusher feat. Hit with bludgeoning damage, you move a creature not more than 1 size larger than you 5 ft (no save if you hit). (Also +1 Con). Useful with club, warhammer etc, as well as shillelagh and magic stone. also with natural bludgeoning weapons, I guess.
Swarmkeeper Ranger's swarm can move an enemy 15 ft in a direction you choose after a hit. good distance, but Strength save to resist.

Ways of getting these on a cleric build:

Telekinetic Feat for +1Wis.
Magic Initiate feat (druid) for Thorn Whip, Shillelagh and a useful spell like Absorb Elements).
Nature cleric. Pick up thorn whip and shillelagh (as well as a few other useful druid spells on your list. Plant growth to make it really hard for enemies to leave SG). Makes cleric a bit less MAD. Could wear medium armor and shield and a have a semi-decent dex, little need for Strength, use Wis for attack and damage.
2 levels of druid (Circle of Stars for buffing your Con saves while using SG). No delay to progressing spell slots (for upcasting Spirit Guardians). Many useful 1st level Druid spells, as well as Shillelagh and Thorn Whip cantrips. Or double up on preparing standard cleric spells like Cure Wounds).
3 levels of fighter (Echo Knight) with Crusher feat, for being able to use your echo to knock enemies into the SG. Echo also grants teleport ability for excellent mobility to place your SG field in the best place. Starting fighter also grants Con Saves. Action Surge. (Excellent with Grave cleric to surge with Inflict Wounds if you don't have a paladin or a rogue dealing big damage in one hit. Even better after a hold person takes effect).
3 levels of Swarmkeeper Ranger. Druidic Warrior fighting style forShillelagh and Magic Stone (or thorn whip). Hard to see a good fit thematically with most Cleric Domains except nature. But it's perhaps redundant on a nature cleric. Swarmkeeper and Nature cleric fit reasonably well, and enable magic stone, thorn whip and Shillelagh for Wis to all attacks.

Cleric domains that might be good here:

I have a backstory all ready for a grave cleric. Path to the Grave seems like fun. (Circle of stars druid seems like it could work with just about any cleric subclass. But it seems somehow to fit thematically with grave cleric. Seeing life and death a little dispassionately, from the cold distance of the stars.)
Nature cleric could be okay. Can get thornwhiupe with no dips or extra feats needed. A few of the spells ad some flavor and utility. But the channel divinity is meh. The above backstory could easily be adapted to a nature cleric. It's not grabbing me, though.
Peace cleric could be good for encouraging teamwork (a bless-like effect concentration free, as well as SG at the same time!). Our party could use that. It looks fun to play. Possibility of roleplay as "peacekeeper warrior" rater than pacifist (if you kill the bad guys you bring peace to the area, and also bring peace to their should; they will be less tormented in the afterlife if that are stopped before doing more awful things.). Circle of Stars druid could work well here too.
Twilight cleric is awesome, but out. But the cleric in our party who died was twilight cleric. I'd like to bring a new flavor.

I'm unsure of races or backgrounds that might be good here. My default is probably Custom Lineage, to get an extra feat. Minotaur looks good with Echo knight (no need for crusher feat). But that push uses your bonus action, and it's not clear that your Echo could use it, because the target has to be within 5 ft of you.

Another race option for good mobility, including placing SG where it's needed is Tabaxi for double-speed. Also works week with peace cleric for the ability to heal everyone you pass in one move.

Race suggestions welcome.

DM is also relatively friendly to home-brew (e.g. Cleric Domains) and custom backgrounds. Some of the gods in our home-brewed world have yet-to-be-created domains (like Defense, Balance, Judgment, Luck, Loss, Travel, Protection).

I'm leaning towards Echo Knight 3/Grave Cleric X, or Circle of Stars Druid 2/Peace Cleric. Nature cleric is okay, but not grabbing me. Swarmkeeper 3 is dubious, given that it costs three Cleric levels and still gats a strength save to resist. I have never seen a swarmkeeper in action, though.

Our campaign is likely to go all the way to level 20, if that matters. Though level 20 is often only for the fine boss fight (one or two sessions). I'm fine giving up the level 20 ability, that applies only for a couple of sessions, for something that makes the character more fun to play for their whole career.

I'd like to hear suggestions of options I have not considered, or stories about builds like that you have found fun to play.

MrStabby
2023-04-22, 06:24 PM
I am a bit of a fan of the nature cleric, for a lot of the reasons you have covered here. Great spells, great bonus cantrips, awesome level 6 ability... sucky channel divinity. On the other hand, if you get your DM drunk and presuade them to use the Tasha's rules/alternative class features you can turn some of your excess CD into spells. I have played it - both fun and strong.

Depending on whats on the table, you might want to think about other ways of getting spirit guardians as well. Some do jump up:

1) Strixhaven lorehold background
2) Ravnica Orzhov background
3) Bard Magical Secrets

There are also spells to move enemies closer - lightning lure (which you can get on an arcana cleric if you like, or with a feat), or command - it takes a spell slot but also eats their action and is a great general spell to have.

I would also flag other tricks form other classes - scout for example can move after an enmy turn to allow you to be next to a different enemy at the start of their turn (also, rogue can be good for grappling which can also be a nice addiion - though the stress on stats between dex, str and wis is quite painful).

Hiro Quester
2023-04-22, 08:05 PM
I am a bit of a fan of the nature cleric, for a lot of the reasons you have covered here. Great spells, great bonus cantrips, awesome level 6 ability... sucky channel divinity. On the other hand, if you get your DM drunk and presuade them to use the Tasha's rules/alternative class features you can turn some of your excess CD into spells. I have played it - both fun and strong.

That's good to know. I had not considered the ability to convert CD into spells. Our DM is okay with these alternative class features. That makes the Charm Animals and Plants ability a little less of a waste.

The scout ability is a nice devious way to bring more creatures into the effect of SG, especially if the enemies' turns are staggered between ours. Having an enemy end its turn after trying to attack me, and then moving away to include a few more enemies in the field who are about to begin their turns is interesting.

That and a few other low-level rogue abilities might go particularly well on a trickery cleric. I like that domain's spells. but its major Channel Divinity ability requires concentration, which interferes with using SG. But I'll probably have my bonus actions rather spoken for much of the time (telekinetic shove, spiritual weapon), so the cunning actions might not get used on the build I'm conceiving of.

Psyren
2023-04-23, 10:43 AM
Swarmkeeper/Nature Cleric would be my vote because you can refluff the Guardians as another, far more damaging aspect of your swarm that you repeatedly pull enemies into. You could also reverse the fluff, having both your swarm and your SG be disembodied souls or revenants.

Goblin is a nice racial option here due to Nimble Escape getting you free/infinitely-repeatable Disengages with your bonus actions, letting you reposition and kite to your heart's content. Goblins also fit either concept thematically, being a race that would more feasibly live in squalor/befriend a bunch of insects, or utilize tribal/shamanistic magic.

animorte
2023-04-23, 11:46 AM
Swarmkeeper/Nature Cleric would be my vote because you can refluff the Guardians as another, far more damaging aspect of your swarm that you repeatedly pull enemies into. You could also reverse the fluff, having both your swarm and your SG be disembodied souls or revenants.

Goblin is a nice racial option here due to Nimble Escape getting you free/infinitely-repeatable Disengages with your bonus actions, letting you reposition and kite to your heart's content. Goblins also fit either concept thematically, being a race that would more feasibly live in squalor/befriend a bunch of insects, or utilize tribal/shamanistic magic.

Thanks, Psyren. Now I have to play a Goblin Swarmkeeper Cleric.

Hiro Quester
2023-04-23, 01:23 PM
I'm watching a web-series right now (Dimension 20's "A Court of Fey and Flowers") with Brennan Lee Mulligan playing a bugbear, Captain Hob of the Goblin court, and was thinking of how the goblin culture is portrayed there, a mess of squalor and depravity, and just this morning (before I read this) thinking this would be a fun flavor to bring to a campaign. This is potentially comedy gold.

In that series Hob always has his pockets stuffed with salt goblins. They would make a fantastic swarm. thanks for that piece of inspiration!

EDIT: I'm thinking about this more and more, and getting increasingly tickled by the idea of playing a goblin ranger/ nature cleric, who is gentle, artistic, and charmed by plants and animals and flowers, etc. and trying earnestly to be taken seriously. But meanwhile he is always surrounded by a swarm of tiny goblins the size of salt shakers who are sworn to his service. They are vile, disgusting, lascivious, fornicate wildly and at very inappropriate times, rolling around in rot and feces and garbage whenever we find such things, and hurling almost-inaudible insults and out-downs at him and everyone else, eating away at his self-esteem and his attempts at self improvement.

I was really struggling to find a fun way to imagine a nature cleric who wasn't just a tree-hugging tribal shaman or something like that. This just moved to the top of my list.

sethdmichaels
2023-04-23, 09:50 PM
Swarmkeeper/Nature Cleric would be my vote because you can refluff the Guardians as another, far more damaging aspect of your swarm that you repeatedly pull enemies into.

this rules and now i want to do a character like this. maybe with bees.

Samayu
2023-04-24, 10:45 PM
My favorite action to take while I have spirit guardians up is to Dodge. I usually have a bunch of guys beating on my trying to take the spell down, so I rely on my comrades to get enemies into the radius. Which actually puts even more of them in range of beating on me.

The best combo was when my Conquest Paladin could fear them in place, where they were in the radius, but not adjacent to the cleric.

Hiro Quester
2023-04-27, 11:27 AM
The best combo was when my Conquest Paladin could fear them in place, where they were in the radius, but not adjacent to the cleric.

That's a good combo. And we have a conquest Paladin in our party.

Master O'Laughs
2023-04-27, 11:41 AM
I got to say, this made me want to play a Spirit Guardian focused cleric in an upcoming campaign.

I am thinking of trying to be thematic and just going with a Firbolg Nature Cleric and maybe taking telekinetic at level 4 as a manifestation of his fey nature.