PDA

View Full Version : Feather fall flight, can I get an F

Shinoskay
2023-04-23, 10:06 PM
So, using 3.5 rules, can anyone suggest a clever way to combo feather fall with anything to produce a sort of quasi flight?

Like, maybe if one could some how benign transpo, or just telelport, the the feather falled thing up 70+ feet, it would fall 60... rinse and repeat and you slowly gain altitude.

Anything else? like maybe some kind of bull rush spell or something?

I'm trying to engineer a flying ship (at least a room sized, but doesnt have to be any larger then that) for a low magic game. using wind for propulsion is fine, feather fall + combo'ed thing doesnt have to do anything else besides give lift but the more movement the better.

Ideally, it will be able to carry things, and people, for trade and crewing... the larger, and more, the better, but even meeting the bare minimum of a room (which would be assumed to be enough for 1 person at least) is exceptional.

Rebel7284
2023-04-24, 11:32 AM
If you have an ability to cast a low level spell over and over again, why not Fly, Swift?

I seem to remember some other low level effects that gave you flight for a round but you must end on solid surface or fall, but can't find it now.

Telonius
2023-04-24, 11:39 AM
Gust of Wind, maybe?

Small creatures are knocked prone by the force of the wind, or if flying are blown back 1d6×10 feet.

Medium creatures are unable to move forward against the force of the wind, or if flying are blown back 1d6×5 feet.

Eladrinblade
2023-04-24, 03:41 PM
Gust of Wind can be permanencied. If you can cast it on your ship and aim it at some sails, that would give you thrust.

Darg
2023-04-25, 12:04 PM
Warlock + Flee the Scene
Telekinesis using the bull rush option and getting 60+ on the roll.

Telonius
2023-04-25, 12:43 PM
Decanter of Endless Water would probably provide some additional thrust. (Somebody better at physics than I am could probably kill some catgirls and find out how much).

Eurus
2023-04-25, 03:39 PM
Hmm... what kind of caster level do you have access to? Feather fall needs a pretty high CL to get big objects, and at that point levitate might be better for several reasons. Either way, I think your main issue is going to be duration.

PrismCat21
2023-04-25, 05:50 PM
Updraft is a fun spell that seems to suit your purpose.
1st lvl spell, Swift Action cast.
You rise 10 ft./CL, and glide gently back down. At any point you can move 5 ft. laterally.

ericgrau
2023-04-26, 08:44 PM
Updraft is a fun spell that seems to suit your purpose.
1st lvl spell, Swift Action cast.
You rise 10 ft./CL, and glide gently back down. At any point you can move 5 ft. laterally.

Strangely enough it doesn't give a descent speed so one would assume that you return to the ground immediately regardless of caster level. But then at high CL that's too fast and probably not true at those levels. So you end up stuck with a rather poorly defined "gently". 10 ft/round is roughly 1 mph. So it's not necessarily feather fall speed, but it probably can't be too much faster.

But much more infuriating is that it's a divine spell. Hopes of incorporating in a wind mage were blown away.

Shinoskay
2023-05-02, 03:01 AM
Hmm... what kind of caster level do you have access to? Feather fall needs a pretty high CL to get big objects, and at that point levitate might be better for several reasons. Either way, I think your main issue is going to be duration.

campaign setting has max spell level of 3, it has magic circle-like formulas that allow up to level 6 spells, my caster level is 4. The lower level the spell the better though because I dont get an easy spell fuel until I gain about 3 or so more levels.

Gorthawar
2023-05-02, 11:14 AM
An urban druid lvl 10 / Contemplative 1(travel domain) can have a huge animated object (boat) as a companion and share the fly spell with it. The boat could carry 1600 pounds when flying without any further strength increases. Air walk would potentially be better as it can officially make use of high winds as well but is a level 4 spell.

Shinoskay
2023-05-02, 11:04 PM
An urban druid lvl 10 / Contemplative 1(travel domain) can have a huge animated object (boat) as a companion and share the fly spell with it. The boat could carry 1600 pounds when flying without any further strength increases. Air walk would potentially be better as it can officially make use of high winds as well but is a level 4 spell.

Class features arent really an option, especially not high level class features.

bekeleven
2023-05-04, 08:33 PM
Warlock + Flee the SceneUnfortunately not:
A creature or object brought into being or transported to your location by a conjuration spell cannot appear inside another creature or object, nor can it appear floating in an empty space. It must arrive in an open location on a surface capable of supporting it.

Edit: I just realized that my reading of this rule has potential to start a huge semantic argument. Yes, I think that a person teleporting is being brought to their own location. For the sake of argument, you can ignore this post if you don't. I won't defend it.