PDA

View Full Version : DM Help New owner of beholders' lair

HoboKnight
2023-04-28, 03:35 AM
Hey guys,
I am shaping a death tyrant lair. The story is that old beholder was killed and a new one took over most of old one’s minions and powers and I’m wondering how would our new overlord shape things.
- lair is a hollowed out rectangular solid, 40 ft wide and 90 ft high. There are several balconies and niches in it for beholder to store his loot
- at the bottom there is a dungeon level where groups of his minions reside (Sword Wraith Commanders, Deathlock Masterminds, Bodaks, Wraiths, Ogre zombies and some Beholder Zombies under Death Tyrants control)
- Under the bottom there is another dungeon level, containing a larger number of demons in statis. Stasis is maintained by death tyrants’ presence
- Bottom of rectangular solid is a place, where drow slave hunters often pass and old master allowed them to rest there with their catch in exchange for magical items
- Now ABOVE the rectangular solid, there is a large amount of rubble. Several dungeon floors have collapsed and no one has dug his way through – so far. Even above this there are several structurally sound dungeon levels and above them is a small human settlement. Old ruler did not bother the settlement because he made good money with trade route, but new one may have other plans
- Also new ruler is a bit worried about settlement and possible adventurers that might barge into his lair
My question is, how would death tyrant further improve his lair? Main problem is, he can float up to the ceiling, but his minions can not. If someone intrudes from up above, it may be highly deadly for him. Ladders may not cut it, but death tyrant has disintegration ray and enough time.
What other options would you explore as such an undead creature? :)
I also made a small side view (https://ibb.co/cLM9vC1) of the dungeon.

Thank you :)

Silly Name
2023-04-28, 05:45 AM
I would probably want to isolate the ceiling of the lair from the dungeon above. Could the Death Tyrant enlist the aid of the drow in reinforcing the ceiling with stuff like adamantine? In addition, maybe a Drow Wizard could inscribe Symbols on the walls of the lair, so that adventurers unaware of the password will get zapped by powerful and deadly magic.

I would also use the disintegration ray to build tunnels connecting the balconies, providing escape routes and hideouts. Have the minions build a spiraling staircase from bottom to top, so that they can run up it and provide aid if necessary. Especially have the Beholder Zombies stalk out the lair instead of staying down in the lower level, so that they may provide aid against intruders.