PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Pseudodragon character help

liquidformat
2023-04-29, 03:21 PM
So trying to figure out what would be the best build for a Pseudodragon, will be playing at ECL 10 and using the Invetability +1 LA so have 7 levels to play with right now. Pretty high optimization level for the game so most things that aren't outright abusive are on the table.

I was thinking Either a swordsage stealth SA build, SotAO Mystic Ranger going with touch attacks and venomfire, or maybe duskblade but figured I would get the community's thoughts and see if there was anything really cool I am overlooking.

Khedrac
2023-04-29, 03:58 PM
Dragonfire Adept raining death from above?

Inevitability
2023-04-29, 04:28 PM
Swordsage might be fun! You get to focus on your best stats (dex/con/wis), can fly about the battlefield and standard action attack with your tail, and add sleep-inducing poison to every maneuver that hits. Plus, it gives all the stealthy skills you want as a Tiny dragon. 4 levels get you 3rd-level maneuvers and Insightful Strike, so maybe PrC out afterwards. Shadow Sun Ninja is a pretty fun option to PrC into later, and you were probably going to be an Unarmed Swordsage anyway so the prereq feat is free.

For feats, obviously grab Mindsight.

liquidformat
2023-04-29, 04:42 PM
Dragonfire Adept raining death from above?

That could work, not sure why but never been much of a fan of DFA.

For feats, obviously grab Mindsight.

Is there actually a point to getting Mindsight, Pseudodragon already has blindsense 60'?

Inevitability
2023-04-30, 12:49 AM
Is there actually a point to getting Mindsight, Pseudodragon already has blindsense 60'?

Mindsight offers useful information about type and intelligence, works through walls, and isn't foiled by darkstalker or other means of blocking oneself from blindsense: it's perhaps not a top priority, but it's definitely useful to have still.

Khedrac
2023-04-30, 02:22 AM

Remember blindsense only gives you the square opponenets are in, you still have a 50% miss chance if you cannot see them (at least you know which square to attack).
If you are going for a melee character (e.g. all the sworsage builds) you will severely lack reach, so some way to get to large creatures without being splattered by an AoO is useful...

Inevitability
2023-04-30, 02:50 AM
Remember blindsense only gives you the square opponenets are in, you still have a 50% miss chance if you cannot see them (at least you know which square to attack).

The same goes for mindsight:

"A creature that has this feat can detect and pinpoint beings that are not mindless (anything with an Intelligence score of 1 or higher) within range of its telepathy. This works much like blindsense--the creature knows what square each thinking being is in, but it does not see the being, and the being still has total concealment unless the creature can see it by some other means."

If you are going for a melee character (e.g. all the sworsage builds) you will severely lack reach, so some way to get to large creatures without being splattered by an AoO is useful...

Pseudodragons have 5 ft. reach with their tail, that's something. As for the AoOs, invest in tumble I guess? Or head into totemist for 2 levels and get that move action teleportation from the blink shirt.

Khedrac
2023-04-30, 06:31 AM
The same goes for mindsight:

"A creature that has this feat can detect and pinpoint beings that are not mindless (anything with an Intelligence score of 1 or higher) within range of its telepathy. This works much like blindsense--the creature knows what square each thinking being is in, but it does not see the being, and the being still has total concealment unless the creature can see it by some other means."

I wondered, and then yes I would agree there are better things to spend a feat on than mindsight as it is much less of an improvement.

I too was thinking about tumble.

liquidformat
2023-04-30, 06:13 PM
I wondered, and then yes I would agree there are better things to spend a feat on than mindsight as it is much less of an improvement.

Mindsight is strictly worse than standard blindsense since mindsight can't see mindless creatures.

Inevitability
2023-05-01, 03:15 AM
Mindsight is strictly worse than standard blindsense since mindsight can't see mindless creatures.

Once more, if you don't see a use for looking through walls I don't know what to tell you. Getting to know the location and approximate threat level of all enemies in a room before you kick down the door is huge, from a tactical/prep standpoint!

Kaleph
2023-05-02, 12:07 AM
Since the pseudodragon has 2 racial HD, the ardent/practiced manifester trick would have its use.

Random consideration: I remember that, on the WotC website, one of the rules-of-the-game articles suggested to deal with tiny creatures wielding reqch weapon as simply having 1.5' reach, just like a medium creature with a regular weapon. Maybe it's a useful information.