PDA

View Full Version : Perform Check for Intimidate (3.5)

SirNibbles
2023-04-29, 05:38 PM
I remember seeing an ability, whether a feat or class ability, that allows you to use a perform check to intimidate. I cannot remember where I saw it, only that it was some first party source- could've been Dragon or Dungeon magazine.

Google-Fu has failed me.

Anyone know what it could be?

pabelfly
2023-04-29, 05:59 PM
It's not a Bard's Inspire Awe from Dragon Magic, is it?

Saintheart
2023-04-29, 08:05 PM
Whatever it is, please name your intended character Cacofonix.

SirNibbles
2023-04-30, 10:03 AM
The ability you are thinking of might be the "Frightening Tune" feat, which was published in Dragon Magazine #318. This feat allows a character to use their Perform skill (sing) to demoralize their opponents in combat.

I have gone cover to cover and found no such feat in Dragon Magazine #318, nor has any google search revealed any information about such a feat existing.

It's not a Bard's Inspire Awe from Dragon Magic, is it?

No, it was definitely something that allowed you to make a Perform check in place of an Intimidate check, not just cause fear via a Perform check.

Whatever it is, please name your intended character Cacofonix.

The intent was to use Perform (weapon drill) to demoralize, so there wouldn't be much sound to it.

ShurikVch
2023-04-30, 11:10 AM
Found two examples:

Haunting Melody feat (Heroes of Horror) - when you performing, enemies in 30' must make Will save or be shaken
Note: while the feat's name says "Melody", description says "When you sing or use some other Perform skill" - no restriction for which this "other" could be (may even be "Tea ceremony" :smallamused:)

Supremely Confident feat (Dragon #335) - can use Perform (act) in place of Intimidate to demoralize in combat; on a critical hit, demoralize as a free action

SirNibbles
2023-04-30, 11:56 AM
Supremely Confident feat (Dragon #335) - can use Perform (act) in place of Intimidate to demoralize in combat; on a critical hit, demoralize as a free action

Pretty sure it was this, thanks.

AnonJr
2023-05-01, 05:44 PM
The intent was to use Perform (weapon drill) to demoralize, so there wouldn't be much sound to it.

Sounds like the Gladiator from Dark Sun...

Saintheart
2023-05-01, 10:04 PM

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3b/5b/75/3b5b756fba0b7b083d3b42a047cae045.gif