PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Séance + Spell Prep for Supernaturalist Druid?

Palanan
2023-04-29, 07:40 PM
I’m working up a druid with the supernaturalist (https://www.aonprd.com/ArchetypeDisplay.aspx?FixedName=Druid%20Supernatur alist) archetype, and I’m trying to understand the interaction between the séance class feature and the druid’s own spellcasting.

The main feature of the supernaturalist is that it can channel animal spirits the way a medium channels human spirits, and like a medium the supernaturalist needs to hold a séance to do so. It’s not specified in the archetype description that it takes an hour, but it seems like a reasonable assumption given that this is the case for the medium.

But as a spontaneous caster, the medium doesn’t need to spend any additional time on spell prep, whereas the supernaturalist druid still has ordinary druid casting to manage. Given this, does the supernaturalist druid need to spend an hour for druid spell prep, and then another hour for the séance? That seems a little cumbersome, and I’m not sure if I’m overlooking something or if this is the result of an awkward portmanteau.

Kurald Galain
2023-04-30, 02:26 AM
Given this, does the supernaturalist druid need to spend an hour for druid spell prep, and then another hour for the séance?

The two seem similar enough that it's reasonable to rule that they overlap. That said, by a strict reading of RAW, they don't.