PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Pf Gnome mounted Paladin build for Rise of the Rune Lords

Glarnog
2023-04-30, 02:12 PM
Just turned 7th after the last session. I still need to level up. I have not played Rise of the Rune Lord before. I haven't played a small mounted paladin. I find the multitudes of options for PF intimidating.

Str 16, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 10, Chr 16 Shining Knight

Feats: Fey Foundling, Mounted Combat, Ride By Attack, and at 7 Spirited Charge.

Traits: Armored Rider, Finding Haleen

My mount is basically a Giant Gecko

tl/dr: I could use help on my build going forward about 10 levels. From class, to feats, to items, spells, etc. I would like to deal more damage. Move movement for the mount and make charges more likely. I'm not sure if power attack and a fighter dip are worth it. I'm worried about mount progression.

tmi:
My group is a mix of players who know the system well and those who don't. There are a couple of power gamers. One is pressuring me. Saying I don't tank (though they are the tank and as such have had first pick of items) and I don't do enough damage. Even having a medium mount the chances of charging, even on the walls or ceiling are limited. He wants me to take a level of fighter to pick up Power Attack at 7th along with Spirited Charge. Dm says the campaign probably maxes out around 17th level.

I feel I'm a bit of a midfielder. The mount and gnome are decently armored, decently tough, decently self sufficient with heals, and deal ok damage. Mostly from a +1 lance used two handed. We are pretty good at being on walls or the ceiling to double stack our front line and even get a few AoOs. The mount and gnome are rarely hurt, either from a/c luck, or being on the walls or ceiling or from Ride By. I think that makes us efficient and effect gap stoppers.

I'm not that familiar with all the classes and or archetypes. I like my guy and enjoy how I've been playing. I wouldn't mind adding movement to my mount as well. Not sure how to do it. Especially as he counts as a clawed quadruped.

thank you for any help

Kurald Galain
2023-04-30, 03:39 PM
I don't do enough damage.
You're a Paladin. Smite Evil should easily get you high amounts of damage whenever you use it. See if you can buy a Silver Smite Bracelet, although it's a bit expensive for your current level.

He wants me to take a level of fighter
Then he may be a power gamer, but he's not very good at it. Don't dip fighter on a paladin, the delay of class features isn't worth it. And you don't particularly need power attack on a charging AND smiting paladin, so that can wait until level 9.

The mount and gnome are decently armored, decently tough, decently self sufficient with heals, and deal ok damage.
Then what's the problem? One other player is complaining about you, but about what? My advice is to ignore him.

A good way to deal more damage is to find or buy a weapon that's either Holy (+2d6 against anything evil) or Evil Outsider Bane (+2d6 against demons, devils, and the like). Alternatively, a Bane Baldric will add +2d6 damage for a couple rounds per day. Deliquescent Gloves are another decent damage boost.

If you want to make your character more tanky, consider the feats Combat Reflexes + Bodyguard (retraining if necessary).

ngilop
2023-04-30, 05:18 PM
I concur with Kurald Galain, you are doing good so far. Spirited Charge, Mounted Combat, Ride-By Attack, Power Attack and Furious Focus. These feats are the CORE of any mounted builld

SLap holy on your lance, but don't forget to also have a sword, pick, mace or whatever as a backup.

If you wanna get fancy pick up Escape Route and Bodyguard for your and your horse.

From everything you said so far, you seem to be pretty solid. The guy complaining is just complaining to complain. Tell him to shut his trap and let you be a paladin.

You are already somewhat innately tanky due to being a paladin, But, you are going to be a big damage dealer via mounted charges with a lance.

Palanan
2023-04-30, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Glarnog
There are a couple of power gamers. One is pressuring me.

…He wants me to take a level of fighter….

This guy should have zero say in how you build and play your character. As others have said, don’t let him control you. He's not trying to help you play what you want to play, he's demanding you play what he wants to you play, and that's not his call.

And he’s not an especially good powergamer if he’s pushing you to take a level of fighter, of all things. That’s very 2005 of him.

vasilidor
2023-05-01, 09:07 AM
I concur with the other people who have spoken thus far. waiting until level 9 for power attack is going to be fine, Your fellow player is wrong.
That said, I don't know what to recommend past level 9. Maybe improved critical for your primary weapon? Skill focus for ride can improve the benefit of mounted combat and avoiding hits on your mount.

Kurald Galain
2023-05-01, 10:26 AM
I don't know what to recommend past level 9.

Since you've got the charisma Eldritch Heritage is pretty decent. For instance, consider ghoul, shapechanger, or bedrock bloodline.

Glarnog
2023-05-01, 12:07 PM
Thank you all so much. I feel much better. And learned about some feats, items, and all I wasn't aware of.

I think roughly I'll stay straight Paladin. Has a lot of fun abilities, I feel the versatility is nice. We can have a big party. Usually only 5 show, but I think there are 8 players. So I don't feel the need to be OP.

For feats I'm thinking:
7th spirited charge
Then not sure the order but likely Power Attack, Furious Power Attack, and Wheeling Charge.

If I get that magic saddle for shared teamwork feats I'll probably pick up those instead.

I talked to the DM and if I had had Paladin's Sacrifice last week it would have saved the other player.

I'm feeling pretty good.

P.s.
The other player is now saying to multiclass Divine Hunter. Lol

spectralphoenix
2023-05-01, 03:03 PM
Saddle Surge (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/saddle-surge) can also provide a goodly amount of bonus damage now that you're packing 2nd level spells. Since it's a flat bonus, it gets multiplied by lance/Spirited Charge.

AnimeTheCat
2023-05-01, 03:07 PM
If you personally feel like you're not dealing enough damage, don't take fe foundling and accelerate your combat feats.

Yes, fey foundling is an extra 2 hp healed on yourself with lay on hands, but is your concern about not being able to heal yourself enough or about not dealing enough damage.

There aren't right or wrong answers here, it's your character, do with them what you want.

Glarnog
2023-05-06, 10:11 AM
I hear you. And good point. Fey Foundling fits great with the back story. And the extra healing definitely helped my guy survive the first few levels.

Gnaeus
2023-05-06, 10:53 AM
And unless your DM is massively up-powering it, RotRL doesn't require a ton of min-max. We did it with a 4 man party of me and 3 very low op players. There are a COUPLE of tough encounters, (and even those would mostly play to paladin strength), but it isn't like Iron Gods where I would expect a low op party to suffer.

Glarnog
2023-05-06, 06:45 PM
Very good to know. :)

I can just sit rping and zero combat. But one player only wants combat. And another only likes rp when it's centered on them. Guess who keeps splitting off by themselves? Then has input on what the rest of the group is doing? Guess who commands others not to split off. 🙄

Besides the 2 players , who behaviors have been ramping up recently, I'm really enjoying it. Loved Sandpoint. Recently in Magnamar.

Good times with a good character 😀