PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Domain spell question

Malapterus
2023-04-30, 07:53 PM
I have had this question for decades and have never been able to find the answer. Obviously, I've never bothered to try asking on a forum, but even the regular players I have asked have given vague answers. Here we go:

I am a Cleric
I prepare a certain number of spells per day from the Cleric list.
I have two domains, which contain spells that may not be on the Cleric list.
I prepare one of my two domain spells at each level.

CAN I use my regular Cleric spell slots to prepare the spells from my domains?

I have the Air and Animal domains because I worship the Bat God.
At level 10, I can prepare 3 Cleric spells and 1 Domain spell.
My domains grant me Gaseous Form & Dominate Animal, neither of which are on the Cleric list.
Can I use any of my 3 Cleric spell slots to prepare Gaseous Form or Dominate Animal?

Fero
2023-04-30, 07:59 PM
You can only use your domain slot to cast the otherwise non cleric domain spell (see last sentance of domain class ability). That said, I think there is an alternate class feature (CC?) that lets you trade spontaneous healing for the ability to spontaneously cast the spells from one of your domains, presumably bypassing this restriction.

Darg
2023-04-30, 09:24 PM
Domain Spontaneity from CDiv is the feat you are looking for. Expend a turning attempt to convert any prepared spell into a domain spell that could be cast from that slot. The one that doesn't require expending resources is an epic feat. Spontaneous Domains feat from CC allows you to leave your domain slots unprepared to spontaneously cast any appropriate domain spell in those slots.

There is an ACF in PHBII called Spontaneous Domain Casting. You give up the ability to spontaneously cast cure/inflict spells (but can prepare them in the domain slot) to gain the ability to spontaneously cast domain spells just like you would cure/inflict spells.

Vaern
2023-04-30, 09:45 PM
A cleric's access to domains is akin to a multiclass character having spellcasting from two different classes. You have a second list of spells known separate from your normal cleric spells known, consisting of two spells known at each level as granted by your domains; and, a second allotment of spells per day in addition to you normal spells per day, as represented by the +1 on your spell progression table.

Just as a bard/sorcerer may only cast bard spells from his bard slots and sorcerer spells from his sorcerer slots, a cleric may only cast cleric spells from his cleric slots and domain spells from his domain slots. Though some overlap exists, as may also be the case with the bard/sorcerer, he may not cast non-cleric spells from his cleric slots, nor may he cast non-domain spells from his domain slots.

loky1109
2023-05-01, 01:26 AM
At level 10, I can prepare 3 Cleric spells and 1 Domain spell.
My domains grant me Gaseous Form & Dominate Animal, neither of which are on the Cleric list.
Can I use any of my 3 Cleric spell slots to prepare Gaseous Form or Dominate Animal?

No, but you can prepare 3rd level domain spell in 4th (5th, 6th, etc.) domain slot.

Malapterus
2023-05-01, 07:31 PM
finally, the knowledge that has eluded me