PDA

View Full Version : Divine Swashbuckler!

CTurbo
2023-05-01, 02:04 AM
So I helped my wife roll up a character and I thought I'd share what we came up with.

Protector Aasimar Divine Soul Sorcerer 1, Swashbuckler 4

Acolyte background. Follower of Tymora, Goddess of Luck

8 Str, 18 Dex, 16 Con, 10 Int, 13 Wis, 18 Cha

Lucky feat

Expertise in Acrobatics and Stealth

Light
Booming Blade
Green Flame Blade
Mage Hand
Hand of Radiance

Cure Wounds
Bless
Silvery Barbs

This character was extremely effective and seemed like a lot of fun. We had a large combat where Green Flame Blade was utilized nearly every turn. I like the double down of the Divine aspect. The current goal is to take at the very least 3 more levels of Rogue to get to Rogue 7 for Uncanny Dodge, Evasion, and 4d6 Sneak Attack damage and then reassess. 2 more levels of Sorcerer at that point would net 3x the spell slots as well as the ability to Quicken the Blade cantrips and Twin Booming Blade. This character isn't really dying for any specific feats or ASI boosts. Sure maxing Dex would be nice.

Not really any questions here just wanted to share what I thought was a pretty cool character. Feel free to throw in some advice or anything I may be missing.

Sorcerer seems to be a pretty decent dip for a Swashbuckler as I've done so in the past as a Tabaxi with 1 level of Draconic Sorc for better AC and Booming Blade spammage and it was a great character.

Note: Not sure what the current ruling is on Twinning Booming Blade, but the DM has already said it was fine so no need in arguing about it.

Silly Name
2023-05-01, 03:41 AM
Note: Not sure what the current ruling is on Twinning Booming Blade, but the DM has already said it was fine so no need in arguing about it.

RAW, it couldn't be Twinned since it has a range of Self and you can't Twin spells with a range of Self. It's definitely a big powerboost for the build.

That said, the build is probably fun and effective anyways, and it seems like it should work pretty well. I'd be tempted to play it myself someday.

CTurbo
2023-05-02, 10:22 PM
RAW, it couldn't be Twinned since it has a range of Self and you can't Twin spells with a range of Self. It's definitely a big powerboost for the build.

That said, the build is probably fun and effective anyways, and it seems like it should work pretty well. I'd be tempted to play it myself someday.

Yeah I was pretty sure it was a no-go since the errata, but my groups hate those changes and choose to ignore it. It would be character level 10 at the earliest before it would be an option for this character and even then it would be a very limited resource. I almost left that part out because I was afraid that would get all the focus, and I guess I was right lol

Mastikator
2023-05-03, 10:09 AM
Throw in 1 level of fighter. Pick up a shield so your wife can actually swash her buckler, and pick up duelist fighting style which jives well with the theme and the mechanic.

CTurbo
2023-05-03, 12:02 PM
Throw in 1 level of fighter. Pick up a shield so your wife can actually swash her buckler, and pick up duelist fighting style which jives well with the theme and the mechanic.
Not a bad idea, but with just a single attack, she'd probably prefer Defense over Dueling. We'll have to see how she's feeling about things after the next few levels. We're almost to level 6, but it will probably take us a year or so to get to level 8 which we know she'll be staying Rogue til then. We've been on level 5 for months.

Really 3 levels of Fighter for Battlemaster is never a bad idea for a Swashbuckler. Brace and Riposte offer off-turn Sneak Attack damage and several other maneuvers like Disarming Strike, Parry, and Trip Attack really scream talented duelist to me. I'll definitely present this option to her in the future and see how she feels about it.

Theodoxus
2023-05-04, 02:42 AM

I love swashbuckler, it's easily my favorite rogue archetype. But the name sucks, exactly for this reason. All the abilities synergize so much better for TWF; between wanting more attacks to stick sneak attack, and being able to freely disengage when you attack, it allows for skipping around the battlefield... but, I always want to go sword and board because yeah, swashing your buckler... grr.