PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 4 boons by four gods + 1

HoboKnight
2023-05-01, 01:46 PM
My party had heavily invested in defending a town from hags and devils. They have invested a ton, fought barely-handlable encounters, and have spend like 20 sessions of endurance and frustration to end hunger and misery for about 2500 souls. They really pulled their weight.
Four of PCs are paladins: Paladin of Helm, Paladin of Tempus, Paladin of Liira, Paladin of Kelemvor. And their friend, mercenary-like fighter who does not give 2 s***s about gods. This achievement is a great thing and I'd like for each Paladin to get a boon from their god and each god also giving a small extra boon for their fighter friend.

Now, I'd like for these gifts/rewards/boons to all be consumables, nothing permanent. But each of these gods care about different things and this should reflect their rewards. Do you guys perhaps have any good ideas on what could I give to my party?

Amnestic
2023-05-01, 04:44 PM
Charms seem basically tailor-made for this sorta thing. For the most part they give you a free cast of a spell, once, then it fades, though there are some that do other stuff (like Charm of the Maimed, that lets you regrow a lost organ or appendage).

Easiest way to do it would be to grab a domain spell or two from their respective domains (Light/Twilight, War, Life, Death/Grave), at the relevant level, and give them a free cast of it or three.

Then for the fighter they'd get a cast of a lower level domain spell (maybe 1st level) from each of the gods.

You could do free uses of their Channel Divinity too, though those might be a bit more limited in application.

J-H
2023-05-01, 07:58 PM
They spent 20 sessions for a couple of one-time boons? I'd go for something permanent as that's a long time.
Maybe look at some down-powered versions of Epic Boons, or some "no attunement required" items.

"Helm sees all... know this, and be judged" - helmet that gives vision boosts like Darkvision, see invisibility, and limited True Sight as an example of what I'd consider a good reward. Useful and powerful but also situational.

holywhippet
2023-05-01, 11:05 PM
They aren't exactly consumable, but have you considered giving the PCs a free feat each? It's a lot easier to let the players cherry pick what they want.

Silly Name
2023-05-02, 04:05 AM
Do you have access to Mythic Odysseys of Theros? The Piety system of that book greatly expands on the DMG, and some of the Piety Traits could easily work for other gods:

- Helm could grant the Heliod's Devotee's trait, renamed to Helm's Devotee, which lets you cast Bless a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier per long rest.
- Tempus could grant Iroas' Devotee trait, which lets the character cast Compelled Duel a number of times equal to their Charisma modifier per long rest, or perhaps the Boon of Combat Prowess from the DMG, which lets the character turn a miss with a melee weapon into a hit instead once per short rest.
- Liira could grant the Boon of Dimensional Travel (cast Misty Step once per short rest), or maybe the Boon of Speed (+30 feet of base movement, and can use a bonus action to Dash or Disengage once per short rest).
- Kelemvor could grant the use of the Orzhov Charm, from Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica.

As for the Fighter, the four gods could pool their power and grant him the power of a Boros Charm (again, Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica), or alternatively the effects of Mogis' Devotee trait (cast Wrathful Smite off your Constitution stat, a number of times per long rest equal to your Constitution modifier).

If you don't want the boons to be permanent, you could give each boon a limited number of charges (I'd suggest between 3 and 5), and have the effects vanish once all the charges are used. If instead you'd like the boons that have a limited number of uses per short or long rest, I would also suggest modifiying the Ravnica charms (if you end up using them) so that they also can recharge.