PDA

View Full Version : Fairy Undead Warlock1-3/Conquest X

Tiptup357
2023-05-01, 04:44 PM
I’m looking to play an undead warlock 1-3/conquest X, but I’d also like to play the race as a fairy. (I like Edgy with an asterisk, and it seems like a fun concept).

How would you build this character out, given some of the limitations of the fairy, assuming an inflexible DM?

When and how many levels would take on Warlock? 1 gives EB and Form of Dread, 2 levels of warlock would give me grasp of Hadar, so being a flyer I might be able to pull enemies up and drop them while they’re feared, and 3 would be reaching pact boon, which might be unnecessary at all.

What do you all think?

Silly Name
2023-05-02, 04:30 AM
Since you are a fairy, you probably want to invest into Dexterity for your melee stat and use a rapier. Dexadins are good anyways, so no issues theres.

If you want, you could take three levels into Warlock to nab Pact of the Blade and Improved Pact Weapon, so that you always have a +1 weapon on hand. Otherwise, I would reccomend only two Warlock levels, so that you can get Agonizing Blast and have a good ranged option and most likely Eldritch Mind from Tasha's. The rest of the levels should be Conquest Paladin.

Taking Eldritch Mind obviates the need for War Caster or Resilient (Con), and eventually the added benefits of Aura of Protection makes it so you never have to worry about failing Concentration rolls. Take Dueling as your Fighting Style, and if you want and have the ASIs to spare, Defensive Duelist could be a fun use of your Reaction.

da newt
2023-05-02, 07:56 AM
Light armor only (if you want to fly) and a 13 ST req to multiclass create some limits.

Once you get into Pali what do you plan for your go to combat? Maybe whip for dex based attacks/damage at range that you can smite with?

EB is always a viable option, but ranged cantrip pali's don't have a bunch of synergy. Grasp o Hadar is only 1 / round so that limits things a bit, but an extra d6 of fall damage is never bad and dropping folks prone is always nice - you'll want to save that for the last EB of the round or you'll be giving yourself DISADV.

RogueJK
2023-05-02, 11:33 AM
Fairy Undead Warlock 2 -> Conquest Paladin 7
STR 13
DEX 15+1
CON 13+1
INT 8
WIS 9
CHA 14+1
ASIs: 10 WIS/16 CHA at Paladin 4, then plan for 18 DEX and 18 CHA at your next two ASIs.
Dueling fighting style
Invocations: Eldritch Mind, Devil's Sight

Wear light armor, and use either a rapier or a whip and a shield, with Eldritch Blast (Character Levels 5-6 and 10+) or a shortbow (Levels 1-4 and 7-9) as your ranged option. If you decide to forego the whip's Reach and use a rapier, consider grabbing Booming Blade to help you bridge the gap from Character Level 5 through 7 when your Extra Attack finally comes online at Warlock 2/Paladin 5.

Once you hit Warlock 2/Paladin 7 and get your Aura of Conquest up and running, decide if you want to head towards Warlock 2/Paladin 18 or Paladin 7/Warlock 13 from there. (I'd lean towards P7/W13.) Going more Warlock gets your next ASIs and the Fear AoE spell online 1 level later, but lets you grab additional invocations and a Pact - I'd suggest something other than Blade - plus higher level Warlock spells and Undead abilities like Grave Touched, along with higher level short rest recharging smite slots. Going more Paladin gets ASIs and Fear online a level sooner, and gains eventual access to higher level Paladin spells and abilities like Improved Divine Smite.

The big downsides of this combo are that Extra Attack is delayed by two levels, and you're fairly MAD so will be behind in stats compared to other PCs (though not debilitatingly so). But it's thematically appropriate combo, and has some cool flavor.

Tiptup357
2023-05-05, 09:00 AM
Light armor only (if you want to fly) and a 13 ST req to multiclass create some limits.

Once you get into Pali what do you plan for your go to combat? Maybe whip for dex based attacks/damage at range that you can smite with?

EB is always a viable option, but ranged cantrip pali's don't have a bunch of synergy. Grasp o Hadar is only 1 / round so that limits things a bit, but an extra d6 of fall damage is never bad and dropping folks prone is always nice - you'll want to save that for the last EB of the round or you'll be giving yourself DISADV.

First off, thanks so much for weighing in everyone

The DM is allowing flight with medium armor, and is debating heavy with a flight speed penalty (their logic is it’s going to be smaller armor as well, and with the extent of fantasy of just a patron alone, why draw the line at “this is too heavy to fly” - I’m not gonna argue)

As far as weapon I was hoping to go Great Spear, but anything 10ft would be cut to 5, for size scaling