PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Barbarian Subclass: Path of the Shadowkeeper (peach)

SyntheticHuman
2023-05-01, 06:48 PM
This is an idea I've been workshopping for a little bit. I wanted to make a Shadowfell themed Barbarian subclass that allowed them to imbue a shadow with rage an fight with it. Here's what I've got so far, I'm looking for any feedback anyone wants to give!

Barbarian: Path of the Shadowkeeper
Barbarians who walk the Path of the Shadowkeeper learn to channel their rage into the malicious magic of the Shadowfell, infusing their own shadow with a piece of themselves and allowing it to fight alongside them in battle. Choosing to walk this path means getting to know the dark parts of your soul better than many would wish.

Darkwalker
Starting when you choose this path at 3rd level, you gain proficiency with Stealth, if you do not have it already.

Rage of the Shadows
Starting when you choose this path at 3rd level, you learn to imbue your rage with the magic of the Shadowfell. While raging, you have darkvision out to 120ft, can see through magical darkness, and gain resistance to necrotic damage. In addition, you imbue your shadow with a piece of your malice, allowing it to fight by your side.

When you begin a rage, your shadow materializes into an intangible being the same size as you in an unoccupied space 5 feet from you. While in dim light or darkness, the shadow is invisible. The shadow shares your AC and your bonuses to saving throws. Any time the shadow would take damage, instead, you take psychic damage equal to the damage it would have taken.

The shadow acts immediately after you on your turn. On each of its turns, the shadow may move up to your speed and make one attack, using your strength score and your proficiency bonus for the attack. On a hit, the attack deals 1d8 + your strength modifier necrotic damage. If the shadow does not attack on its turn, it fades back into the ground, becoming immune to all damage until the start of your next turn when it rematerializes. The shadow cannot make opportunity attacks, but opportunity attacks can be made against the shadow.

When you end your rage, the shadow fades into the ground and rushes back over to you, acting as your shadow once more until you next begin a rage.

Darkness' Friend
At 6th level, you become well acquainted with the darkness and learn to live in it even better than you do in the light. While in dim light or darkness, you have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) and Dexterity(Stealth) checks while in dim light or darkness. In addition, you gain a +5 bonus to initiative and a +5 bonus to your walking speed while in dim light or darkness.

One with the Shadows
At 10th level, you learn to channel your malice to become one with the shadows. While raging, you may use a bonus action to instantly teleport to the current position of your shadow. When you do, the shadow instantly teleports to your location. In addition, your rage cannot end unless you choose to end it as long as you are in total darkness, even if you exceed the 1 minute time limit.

Spite of the Shadows
At 14th level, you learn to use your rage to empower your shadow further. When the shadow attacks on your turn, it can attack twice, instead of once. In addition, the shadow can now move up to double your speed on every one of its turns.

Light's Bane
At 14th level, you learn to use your rage to extinguish light around you. As a bonus action, you may expend one of your uses of your rage feature to cast darkness as a second level spell without components. This casting does not require concentration and instead lasts 10 minutes or until you dismiss it as a bonus action.

Version 1.1.0
After giving it a bit of time, I've revisited this with fresh eyes and made a couple edits. I'm pretty happy with how it looks now, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

JNAProductions
2023-05-09, 12:12 AM
Rage Of The Shadows
Why 300'? That's REALLY far.
It's comparable to Frenzy, in terms of damage. Slightly less, and of an arguably worse type, but no Exhaustion or anything.

Darkness' Friend
Seems a little fiddly to track, but not OP or anything.

Spite Of The Shadows
This seems too much.
While Raging, you're doing either 4d8+4*Strength+6 if it all hits, with a shield; or 4d6+2d8+4*Strength+6.
Compare to a Fighter, dealing 3d8+3*Stat with comparable AC or range; or 6d6+3*Strength if they're going damage heavy.

Light's Bane
Combined with how your Rage lets you see through magical darkness, this feels a touch too good.

One With Shadows
Invisibility is pretty useful. This feels a bit overly good.

Overall
It's a bit overtuned. Not MASSIVELY so, but... Yeah, needs nerfs.
The potential extra damage is not really an issue-it only affects AoE damage, and forces you to take AT MOST an extra half again the damage. 1.25X if you have psychic resistance.

Also, it feels a bit overly combat focused. I know, Barbarian and all, but consider adding more utility and less raw combat power.

SyntheticHuman
2023-05-09, 12:35 PM
Rage Of The Shadows
Why 300'? That's REALLY far.
It's comparable to Frenzy, in terms of damage. Slightly less, and of an arguably worse type, but no Exhaustion or anything.

I've decreased the darkvision, that was a tad excessive. I'm glad the damage isn't too much.

Spite Of The Shadows
This seems too much.
While Raging, you're doing either 4d8+4*Strength+6 if it all hits, with a shield; or 4d6+2d8+4*Strength+6.
Compare to a Fighter, dealing 3d8+3*Stat with comparable AC or range; or 6d6+3*Strength if they're going damage heavy.

Light's Bane
Combined with how your Rage lets you see through magical darkness, this feels a touch too good.

I do like the way these abilities function, so I moved them to 14th level to mitigate the broken.

One With Shadows
Invisibility is pretty useful. This feels a bit overly good.

I removed the invisibility, and moved this ability to 10th level. I also added a way for rage abilities to be used out of combat.

Overall
It's a bit overtuned. Not MASSIVELY so, but... Yeah, needs nerfs.
The potential extra damage is not really an issue-it only affects AoE damage, and forces you to take AT MOST an extra half again the damage. 1.25X if you have psychic resistance.

Also, it feels a bit overly combat focused. I know, Barbarian and all, but consider adding more utility and less raw combat power.
I've tried to add a bit more utility and nerf it a tad. I'll work on the overturning. Thank you so much for the feedback!

Twelvetrees
2023-05-16, 08:07 PM
I quite like this!

Rage of the Shadows
Does the shadow have statistics? What happens when a creature attacks it? What AC do they have to hit? How about when it is forced to make a saving throw?

I think you could have it act more like the illusory dragon spell and be immune to damage and saving throw effects, instead of having it pop in and out of the ground.

SyntheticHuman
2023-05-17, 07:05 PM
I quite like this!

Does the shadow have statistics? What happens when a creature attacks it? What AC do they have to hit? How about when it is forced to make a saving throw?

I think you could have it act more like the illusory dragon spell and be immune to damage and saving throw effects, instead of having it pop in and out of the ground.
I just now realized I forgot to establish the AC of the shadow, thank you for bringing that to my attention.
I allow the shadow to be hurt because I think it helps to balance out the extra damage it can deal by giving a secondary target that can be used to damage the character. I'll review that bit. Thank you for your feedback!