PDA

View Full Version : Alternative methods to roll miss chances (and other assorted rolling houserules)

ciopo
2023-05-02, 06:06 PM
Greetings fellow playgrounders.

I experienced something novel today: on a new online campaign, the GM houseruled that to roll miss chance "in a single roll with the to-hit", I'd declared odd or even, and if the d20 was what I called, then it was the good outcome (so a miss, since the situation at hand was me having displacement)

I of course picked even, and after session I pointed out that such a way to incorporate one less roll is not really fair, since it basically gave me heavy fortification for free AND removed that 5% chance of always being hit. So we're back to normal percentile rolls :)

But this got me thinking, I'm curious to see what other "table rules" people experienced about how you roll things.

The most common I know about is probably the one of rolling the attack and the damage together.

As a side note, anyone got some idea how to incorporate the miss chance on a single roll whike the distribution remains fair?

Darg
2023-05-02, 06:36 PM
You really can't boil it down to one roll, but you can simply use a d10 to roll along with your d20 for most forms of miss chance. 50% is 1-5 miss and 6-10 attack roll. 20% is 1-2 miss and 3-10 attack roll.

Gruftzwerg
2023-05-02, 07:03 PM
Some people I know are used to roll multiple attacks with multiple different colored d20s.
Each color gets assigned to the order of your attack penalties (for iterative attacks).

It's sole a minimal advantage to know beforehand how many attacks you will hit this round.
As such, imho it's a fine option to speed up combat at higher levels.

Aotrs Commander
2023-05-03, 05:23 AM
Some people I know are used to roll multiple attacks with multiple different colored d20s.
Each color gets assigned to the order of your attack penalties (for iterative attacks).

It's sole a minimal advantage to know beforehand how many attacks you will hit this round.

A mate of mine came up with the even simpler methdo of just lining the dice up left to right in the order they land on the table after rolling. You very rarely get dice that are exactly in line horizontally (and then you just go top to bottom). It's simple and works.

Rolling one attack at a time is just painfully slow. We only actually do if it I explcitly tell the players to do so, because I'm pretty sure the first attack or two will kill a monster. We roll miss chance on D10 (for 20%) and for 50%, pick any dice they like and call odds or evens.

Seward
2023-05-05, 10:21 PM
Usually we use colored dice for this sort of thing. Roll one d20 for the to-hit, another for miss chance (or any other die for odd.even etc) and additional dice for the actual damage.

If you want to skip the dice for miss chances entirely, you can go the Pathfinder 1e route of incorporeals, which simply halves the damage for attacks such as magic weapons, where in 3.x you had to roll a miss chance. Do 80% of the damage for 20% miss chance, half for 50% etc.

pabelfly
2023-05-06, 03:57 AM

I do something similar when I play an Anthro Octopus build. I'll roll all my dice at once and might have colour-coded dice for my bite attack or specific weapons with different enchants.