PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Ring of Free action - too much?

WhiteDrag0n
2023-05-03, 09:00 PM
So my BBEG met my players, used Hold person on them and threw them in prison. The conflict with this guy is coming up and one of my players wants something akin to a ring a free Movement to be better prepared to fight this guy.

They have made friends with the King who can give them a side quest to go get a magic item that can help them.

My question is whether a Ring of Free action is too Powerful to give to my players. They are around 3rd level at this point and is there something else that would serve the same purpose that might be a little more level appropriate?

Skrum
2023-05-03, 09:22 PM
Level 3 is a bit low to be getting rare items, for sure.

My inclination would be to tell the party "well now you know some of his tactics, plan accordingly" and wouldn't be overly keen on giving them a specific magic item to counter the boss.

But, on the other hand, running a side quest to get items to prepare for a fight, well that's also kinda cool.

To adjust this item for level, make it of limited use. Instead of a passive ability, make it 1/long rest or proficiency bonus times per long rest, as a reaction to being paralyzed or restrained, you may immediately end the condition.

Boverk
2023-05-03, 10:05 PM
Level 3 is a bit low to be getting rare items, for sure.

Since they can do quests, let them go get a divine blessing/item that is single use. Maybe not nullify the spell, but maybe advantage on the save for this fight?

J-H
2023-05-03, 10:11 PM
If they do a whole quest for it, why not? All it does is give one character immunity to some spells and effects that the character might be able to just save against anyway. Let them be heroes.

Mastikator
2023-05-04, 02:44 AM
It's too strong for that character who has it, and too weak for the group. Go on a quest to find 2 potions of freedom of movement, and maybe some other neat potions.

Dualight
2023-05-04, 05:37 AM
It's too strong for that character who has it, and too weak for the group. Go on a quest to find 2 potions of freedom of movement, and maybe some other neat potions.

This, pretty much. If a permanent effect is too much for the party's level, but they are explicitly preparing for a confrontation, limited-/ single-use versions of the desired effect is a decent compromise.
It gets the party the preparation they want, and you won't have to worry about long-term consequences of them having additional capabilities.

Mastikator
2023-05-04, 06:44 AM
An alternative to potion of freedom of movement is potion of heroism (gives bless effect, you'd think it'd give the heroism effect). A +1d4 to saving throws might help with saving against hold person and other spells. A couple of potions of heroism, one potion of speed and a potion of resistance to the boss's preferred damage type.

stoutstien
2023-05-04, 07:03 AM
What DC is that save at that they are perma paralyzed?

Sigreid
2023-05-04, 07:09 AM
I'd say it's less about it being too much as it being too specific. I'd be concerned that going forward they may think in terms of always wanting the perfect item to counter x instead of focusing on x exists, how can we work around that.

Ir0ns0ul
2023-05-04, 07:26 AM
Or maybe just customize a Ring of “Minor” Free Action that gives them just advantage against restrain and paralysis. Uncommon.

I love a particular new magic item from Fizban’s called Scaled Ornament that does exactly that against Charm and Frighten.

Uncommon version - Advantage on saving throws
Rare version - Immunity against those conditions
Very rare version - All the above and some other perks like giving advantage to allies IIRC.

Bobthewizard
2023-05-04, 07:26 AM
If they are 3rd level and one Hold Person spell took them all out, they need help against this BBEG. I wouldn't worry at all about one player having a ring of free action.

Willie the Duck
2023-05-04, 08:04 AM
So my BBEG met my players, used Hold person on them and threw them in prison. The conflict with this guy is coming up and one of my players wants something akin to a ring a free Movement to be better prepared to fight this guy.

They have made friends with the King who can give them a side quest to go get a magic item that can help them.

My question is whether a Ring of Free action is too Powerful to give to my players. They are around 3rd level at this point and is there something else that would serve the same purpose that might be a little more level appropriate?

I would second the suggestion regarding potions of heroism, or the suggestions for single-use versions of the magic item. Also confused as to how all of them failed their saves continuously long enough to end up imprisoned (and how many of them are there?/what level spells does the BBEG get?).

Regardless of all that, a ring of free action is one of those magic items that is really powerful but also isn't. It gives one character immunity to a number of effects (terrain-induced slow movement, magic-induced slow movement, paralyzation, and restrained). Some of those are common effects to be placed under, so it's annoying as a DM not to have them in your arsenal, but at the same time no encounter should hinge on one effect being viable (any more than players should solve each problem with only one solution). Other of these effects, well, they are somewhat limited in scope. Being the only character in a party who doesn't have terrain-induced movement costs is only occasionally useful (such as if they are normally slower, but their normal rate is better than everyone else's half-pace). Being immune to magic-induced speed reduction means that the Slow spell won't halve your speed, but it will still make you pick between action or bonus action and give you only one attack a turn (if you have more). Being immune to being restrained means that various traps and spells won't reduce your speed to 0, have disadvantage on attacks and Dex saves, and grant advantage to enemies attacking you; but any other effects of the spell or traps other than 'is restrained' will still affect you.

Mastikator
2023-05-04, 08:42 AM
A really really funny thing to do is to give the BBEG a ring of free action, so when they finally defeat him they can take it off him.

Lord Torath
2023-05-04, 04:18 PM
A really really funny thing to do is to give the BBEG a ring of free action, so when they finally defeat him they can take it off him.Yeah, just like all those old modules where the thing you need to defeat the BBEG is in the BBEG's hoard. "Great! We defeated the Red Dragon and now have a sword of Red Dragon Slaying! Let's go kill some dragons!" Then never encounter another red dragon again. Hillarious. :smallannoyed:
(Granted, in this case, the Ring of Free Action is still usable against threats other than the current BBEG, but it's still pretty annoying)

Personally, I'd allow one PC to get a Ring of Free Action. Yes, even at 3rd level. It's really not an overpowering magic item.

Phhase
2023-05-04, 09:47 PM
Do they have a caster? You could give them some Counterspell and or Dispel Magic Scrolls. Or a consumable "Spellward" item that doesn't require a caster. That could serve as a defense.

WhiteDrag0n
2023-05-05, 12:04 AM
If they are 3rd level and one Hold Person spell took them all out, they need help against this BBEG. I wouldn't worry at all about one player having a ring of free action.

For Clarity the BBEG fought each of them individually at first level and his minions threw them in jail. They met in jail. He is a sixth level law cleric with a love for enchantment magic. While the characters have been gaining levels he has performed horrible surgery on himself to become a monster. Fun times

Or maybe just customize a Ring of “Minor” Free Action that gives them just advantage against restrain and paralysis. Uncommon.

I love a particular new magic item from Fizban’s called Scaled Ornament that does exactly that against Charm and Frighten.

I like this idea. I feel like, given the circumstances, a side quest for an actual item would fit better than trying to track down potions.

Thank you all for your help!