PDA

View Full Version : the immune(template)

vegetalss4
2007-12-05, 03:02 PM
the immune are induviduals that are form some reasons walking dead magic zone's. No one knows why this mutation happens, but it is recorded that the number of Immunes, while still that small that it can be (for the most) ignored, increased dramticly for newborns in dead magic zones. how many there are of these people is not know as the only way of detecting one is for a spell to not work, and even that happens sometime without its targets being an imune for that reason.

Creating an Immune
"Immune" is an inherited template that can be added to any living corporeal creature expet elementals and outsiders(NOTE: the template CAN be added to an native outsider),referred hereafter as the base creature
Size and Type: as base creature
Hit Dice: as base creature
Armor Class: as base creature
Attack: as base creature
Special Attacks:as base creature
Special qualities:as base creature, plus Dead to magic
Dead to magic (Ex) an Immune is immune to any spell, spell-like abilty,
supernatural ability and the extra damege from magic weapons. the immune is also unable to himself cast any spell, spell-like ability, or supernatural ability. the imune is also unable to use any magic items that is not use activated. if part of an magic item is use activated and other parts are nor, the imune can only use the Use activated part of the item. (i am considering to allow an imune to also use command activated item)
Cr: i need some help here
LA: here too

so what do you think? what should the LA be? any comments?

Baron Corm
2007-12-05, 04:32 PM
Hmm... everything else the same but an extremely localized AMF. Meleers with magic weapons and items will own them, as will spells that don't allow spell resistance, and all supernatural abilities. I'd say LA -infinity.

Edit: Oh, their magic weapons wouldn't work. Oh well, they can still use magic items to grant them flight, ability bonuses, etc. At best, you're equal to them. Still a disadvantage template.

mikeejimbo
2007-12-05, 04:50 PM
I think it really depends on the kind of creature it's applied to. If it were, say, a dragon, while it wouldn't be able to cast spells, it also doesn't really need to. I mean, unless I'm missing something here.

Certainly a PC would probably be gimped due to lack of magical items, but they could still benefit from magical weapons, since their effects are on the target, right? Or am I misreading/misinterpreting it?

And if you're immune to all spells, does a spell that doesn't allow for spell resistance really matter? Again, I might be misinterpreting it.

I think it should have a positive LA/CR, at least because some powerful stuff could be made with it and existing materials.

brian c
2007-12-05, 05:06 PM
And if you're immune to all spells, does a spell that doesn't allow for spell resistance really matter? Again, I might be misinterpreting it.

I think it should have a positive LA/CR, at least because some powerful stuff could be made with it and existing materials.

That's the big difference: is it magic immunity like golems, immune only to things that allow SR (so effectively, it's infinite SR), or is it the same as epic magic immunity, immune to all spells whether there is SR or not?

If it's only vs spells with SR, I would say CR +2 and LA +1, maybe. If it's vs all magic, CR +3 or more.

Baron Corm
2007-12-05, 05:44 PM
I wasn't even thinking of applying it to monsters. For creating a new monster, I would just have it be part of the concept and see how it meshes with the rest of its abilities, and set the CR accordingly. If you absolutely had to apply it to existing monsters... well, a troll would be enhanced significantly, while a pixie would be sad. Just ad-hoc it.

mikeejimbo
2007-12-05, 07:33 PM
Not all templates are supposed to be applied to PCs. And I think that plenty are supposed to be for monsters only, like pseudonatural and paragon. Woe be to the DM who decides to run a campaign in which the PCs are allowed to take templates such as these!

Nebo_
2007-12-06, 01:07 AM
Immune has two Ms. That was bugging me.

Mewtarthio
2007-12-06, 01:12 AM
Immune has two Ms. That was bugging me.

It's pronounced "eye-MYU-nay." :smalltongue:

Rigon
2007-12-06, 02:17 AM
It's pronounced "eye-MYU-nay." :smalltongue:

i thought it's pronounced "em-myu-n"
yet again, my english fails me (i did a take10 for the skill check).

Mewtarthio
2007-12-06, 02:26 AM
i thought it's pronounced "em-myu-n"
yet again, my english fails me (i did a take10 for the skill check).

:smallconfused: Hm... I'm not sure whether you're joking or not, but I'd hate to have people laugh at you. My post was in response to the claim that the OP had misspelled "immune"; I was joking that the OP was really posting a non-English fantasy term "Imune" with an entirely different spelling and pronounciation.

Nebo_
2007-12-06, 02:43 AM
Dead to magic (Ex) an Imune is imune to any spell, spell-like abilty,

Whether or not the name is interntional, this one is wrong. I've never heard of an "eye-MYU-nay" before. What is it?

Mewtarthio
2007-12-06, 02:47 AM
Whether or not the name is interntional, this one is wrong. I've never heard of an "eye-MYU-nay" before. What is it?

Very important Wizardly matters. I'd tell you, but then you'd go mad as your puny first-level Commoner mind snapped trying to comprehend it. :smallbiggrin:

Rigon
2007-12-06, 03:17 AM
:smallconfused: Hm... I'm not sure whether you're joking or not, but I'd hate to have people laugh at you. My post was in response to the claim that the OP had misspelled "immune"; I was joking that the OP was really posting a non-English fantasy term "Imune" with an entirely different spelling and pronounciation.

i wasn't joking. my english fails me often as learned english through computer rpgs and windows' error messages.
what language is "Imune" and what does it mean?

as for the template:
what if we declare this kind immunity as "NPC/monster only feat"?
it wouldn't need a template really. it would be a feat granted either by creation of the monster or by a bargain made with a demon/devil.

also i would split this feat up to magic schools. just to avoid uberelite monsters.

template:
our dwarf, a funny one.
dug a cave, yes one.
mining for ore each day.
i tell which, if i may.
his mind so clumsy,
his pick so rusty,
looking for tem,
one to melt then,
forging it in the late night,
for his friend Tem-Plate Knight.

Arakune
2007-12-06, 06:30 AM
Creating an Imune
"Imune" is an inherited template that can be added to any living corporeal creature except elementals and outsiders(NOTE: the template CAN be added to an native outsider),referred hereafter as the base creature
Size and Type: as base creature
Hit Dice: as base creature
Armor Class: as base creature
Attack: as base creature
Special Attacks:as base creature
Special qualities:as base creature, plus Dead to magic
Dead to magic (Ex) The Imune are immune to magic. All spells that allow a Spell Resistance check automatically fail as if the caster failed the check to overcome Spell Resistance. Spells that doesn't allow a Spell Resistance check are treated as if the spell 'missed' the target: it looks like are successful when in fact are not. This ability can't be suppressed and will work even against beneficial spells (such as Cure Light Wounds).
Void of Magic (Ex) The Imune automatically pass all saving throws on all spells that allow a saving throw and he will not take any ill effect by passing a saving throw (such as taking half-damage for a successful saving throw). Some spells that doesn't directly interact with him or target him (such as some kinds of illusions still affect him and he need to make the saving throws normally). Spells that doesn't allow a saving throw are treated as if the spell 'missed' the target: it looks like are successful when in fact are not. This ability can't be suppressed and will work even against beneficial spells (such as Cure Light Wounds).
Magic Resistance(Ex) The Imune are immune to all damage dealt by any magic source including but not restricted to: supernatural/spell-like abilities, magic weapons (bonus damage enchantment, extra die, keen effect, etc), enchanted weapons, spells, minor and major artifacts, etc. Summoned creatures will deal damage normally but will ignore him as a valid target, natural weapons that counts as magic still damage him, as such any special material that could deal normal damage in creatures that have DR/magic but are not magical by itself.
Magic inability (Ex) The base-creature can't cast any spell, use any [Su] or [Sp] ability while he have the Imune template. Any magic item he wield loses it's static effects (such as the enchantment bonus of a magic weapon) until he release it, but the item still mantains it's Use-Activated abilities (the Imune must pass an appropriated Use Magic Device check to use). This effect includes but are not restricted to: magic potions, tomes, etc.
Cr: creature with spell casting abilities: +0, other +3
LA: +2

You must word very well the abilities, since in this game 'immunity' means 'just a little more harder to affect'. :smallmad:

Mewtarthio
2007-12-06, 09:40 AM
i wasn't joking. my english fails me often as learned english through computer rpgs and windows' error messages.
what language is "Imune" and what does it mean?

Nothing. It's a typo and a bad joke that spiralled horribly, horribly out of control. The OP misspelled "immune," and I jokingly implied that it was just a made-up word with special relevance to his campaign setting.

@ryuan:

That seems a bit much, doesn't it? What about magic that affects targets indirectly? Should the Immune really be invulnerable to, say, an earthquake spell?

Arakune
2007-12-06, 09:47 AM
That seems a bit much, doesn't it? What about magic that affects targets indirectly? Should the Immune really be invulnerable to, say, an earthquake spell?

If the target of the spell are the Imune, then yes, the spell fails (by my logic), but if the target are the earth under his feet, then the effects of spells apply. He are only immune to magic damage dealt directly, like a fireball, but unless the spell control the earth and give it a magical property and the earth itself start to targeting him, he are not immune to the side effects of some spells. For example, if an illusion creates an image that does nothing, the Imune still need to make a will save to disbelief, since the magic doesn't target him or directly interact with him. In the earthquake spell, he takes damage from the earth shaking really hard, so he are not immune to this effect.

Edit: And you need to remember that, although he are immune to magic weapons, that's just the magical properties of the weapon (enchantment damage bonus, extra hit dice and effects like flaming, the keen effect are nullified and only the weapon normal crit range applies, etc) but not the base weapon damage.

Mewtarthio
2007-12-06, 10:00 AM
As written, your revised template protects them from anything that has roots in a spell, including instantaneous conjurations (eg pushing a wall of stone on them). Spells that don't allow SR do so precisely because they affect their targets indirectly. Just give them a golem's Magic Immunity (effectively SR infinity) and add an extra SQ that gives them protection from divinations, and you're set.

Arakune
2007-12-06, 10:12 AM
As written, your revised template protects them from anything that has roots in a spell, including instantaneous conjurations (eg pushing a wall of stone on them). Spells that don't allow SR do so precisely because they affect their targets indirectly. Just give them a golem's Magic Immunity (effectively SR infinity) and add an extra SQ that gives them protection from divinations, and you're set.

This (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/clone.htm)
This (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/forcecage.htm)
And this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shoutGreater.htm)

Are some examples, and I bet there is some nasty spell in some book that allow someone to do something were SR doesn't apply. Maybe I need to word more carefully, but I want something that is immune to magic be really immune to magic. No, not even then. :smallwink:

But again, this is the OP choice.

vegetalss4
2007-12-06, 10:49 AM
i edited imune to immune. english is not my first luanguge
and Ryan you made my day that is almost perfect.
but one thing , a swords enchantment bonus is use activated
the spells that do not target him are unclear.

Dead to magic (Ex) The Imune are immune to magic. All spells that allow a Spell Resistance check automatically fail as if the caster failed the check to overcome Spell Resistance. Spells that doesn't allow a Spell Resistance check are treated as if the spell 'missed' the target: it looks like are successful when in fact are not. This ability can't be suppressed and will work even against beneficial spells (such as Cure Light Wounds).
The Imune automatically pass all saving throws on all spells that allow a saving throw and he will not take any ill effect by passing a saving throw (such as taking half-damage for a successful saving throw). Some spells that doesn't directly interact with him or target him still do not affect him in any way. Spells that doesn't allow a saving throw are treated as if the spell 'missed' the target: it looks like are successful when in fact are not. This ability can't be suppressed and will work even against beneficial spells (such as Cure Light Wounds).
The Imune are immune to all damage dealt by any magic source including but not restricted to: supernatural/spell-like abilities, magic weapons (bonus damage enchantment, extra die, keen effect, etc), enchanted weapons, spells, minor and major artifacts, etc. Summoned creatures will deal damage normally but will ignore him as a valid target, natural weapons that counts as magic still damage him, as such any special material that could deal normal damage in creatures that have DR/magic but are not magical by itself.
The base-creature can't cast any spell, use any [Su] or [Sp] ability while he have the Imune template. Any magic item he wield loses it's static effects (such as the enchantment bonus of a magic weapon) until he release it, but the item still mantains it's Use-Activated abilities . This effect includes but are not restricted to: magic potions, tomes, etc.
this ability still work after his dead (so that spells that would affet his corpse fails to affet his corpse)
how about this as the ability?
edit Mewtarthio i did not see your post i to want them to be really immune to magic

RTGoodman
2007-12-06, 12:27 PM
As a monster/NPC template, I don't think this is a problem, but it's basically suicide for a PC since he'd never be able to heal any damage besides the little that comes from resting.