PDA

View Full Version : Is Leafweave Nightscale Armor an actual thing?

incog64
2023-05-05, 03:12 PM
Does this actually exist, I have seen references to them existing separately but not combined. If this does exist, can some point the official or is this some kind of homebrew?

Thanks

Drakevarg
2023-05-05, 03:22 PM
Leafweave is an armor material, like mithril. Assuming Nightscale armor isn't also that (I have no idea what it is), or otherwise would make it incompatible with being made from leafweave (you couldn't make a leafweave sharkskin vest, for instance, because if it's sharkskin it's not made of alchemically-treated leaves), there's no reason you couldn't combine them.

incog64
2023-05-05, 03:27 PM
Leafweave is an armor material, like mithril. Assuming Nightscale armor isn't also that (I have no idea what it is), or otherwise would make it incompatible with being made from leafweave (you couldn't make a leafweave sharkskin vest, for instance, because if it's sharkskin it's not made of alchemically-treated leaves), there's no reason you couldn't combine them.

Nightscale: Made from dark snakeskin steeped in mysterious
alchemical mixtures, nightscale armor is much like leather
armor, except that it is much more supple and formfitting.
Many sorcerers and wizards favor this exotic armor.

From page 66 of Underdark

Leafweave versions of padded, leather, studded leather,
and hide armor exist; leafweave studded leather typically
incorporates darkwood studs to make it druid-friendly.

Page 168 RAces of the Wild

Drakevarg
2023-05-05, 03:43 PM
Okay, so Nightscale = snakeskin.

In that case I'd say it's unlikely that you could have both, any more than you could have mithril adamantine fullplate. Maybe you could convince a DM to let you have a mix of both, but on a surface-level reading they seem pretty obviously incompatible.

incog64
2023-05-05, 03:57 PM
Okay, so Nightscale = snakeskin.

In that case I'd say it's unlikely that you could have both, any more than you could have mithril adamantine fullplate. Maybe you could convince a DM to let you have a mix of both, but on a surface-level reading they seem pretty obviously incompatible.

Sadly, I am leaning that way too but I have seen reference to them being combined.

ShurikVch
2023-05-05, 04:23 PM
It sounds like the "Dragonhide Rhino Hide (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#rhinoHide)" problem (common sense says dragons aren't rhinos, but RAW don't forbids it)

tyckspoon
2023-05-05, 09:40 PM
It sounds like the "Dragonhide Rhino Hide (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#rhinoHide)" problem (common sense says dragons aren't rhinos, but RAW don't forbids it)

What, half-dragon rhinocerii don't exist in your world?

Thurbane
2023-05-05, 10:52 PM
In reply to the OP: logic would dictate that you can't make an armor specifically called out as snake-skin from a different material, however, a lot of TO gamers would call that "fluff text" and say RAW does not specifically call out not being able to combine them.

I feel like a Blue would be the likely dragon parent. :smallbiggrin:

https://i.imgur.com/f52S6zj.jpg

...now I'm wondering if Blue Dragon horn is a supposed aphrodisiac in D&D worlds?

Darg
2023-05-05, 11:39 PM
however, a lot of TO gamers would call that "fluff text" and say RAW does not specifically call out not being able to combine them.

Hence, DMs exist to either bring down the banhammer or just not give any ___ today.

tyckspoon
2023-05-06, 12:40 AM
In reply to the OP: logic would dictate that you can't make an armor specifically called out as snake-skin from a different material, however, a lot of TO gamers would call that "fluff text" and say RAW does not specifically call out not being able to combine them.

.. I think RAW does actually forbid it? Leafweave:

.. Leafweave versions of padded, leather, studded leather, and hide armor exist..

That is an exhaustive statement. There is no vague statement for 'or similar armors', no permissions or wiggle room here to apply Leafweave to anything else. So if you want Leafweave Nightscale, then Nightscale must be 'padded, leather, studded leather, or hide (armor).' And it isn't any of those - it's Nightscale, its already its own distinct armor type that does not have permission to be modified by leafweave.

.. I assume the intent of combining these two things is to get a 0% Arcane Spell Failure armor without having to invest extra class levels/feats/magic item enhancement +s. The craft templates from DMG2 will do the job - a Feycraft Nightscale suit gets there for cheaper than the Leafweave mod and without any potential rules issues (it's also like.. actually thematic, because I can easily imagine fey wanting suits of armor made of nifty night-black snakescale leather, and it even suits the feycraft quirks of being abnormally body-hugging and having natural patterns or decorations in it!)

Tzardok
2023-05-06, 02:26 AM
...now I'm wondering if Blue Dragon horn is a supposed aphrodisiac in D&D worlds?

You will be shocked by its effectiveness! :smallbiggrin:

wilphe
2023-05-06, 05:37 AM
So this is result of Brass Dragon PSYOPS?

Thurbane
2023-05-06, 06:29 AM
You will be shocked by its effectiveness! :smallbiggrin:

I laughed pretty hard at that! :smallsmile:

I read it out to my wife in the next room, and she almost choked on her drink. :smallbiggrin:

ShurikVch
2023-05-06, 07:04 AM
OK!
Then how about the Tentacle Rhino Hide?
(Tentacle Hide armor is from the Underdark)

Thurbane
2023-05-06, 07:06 AM
OK!
Then how about the Tentacle Rhino Hide?
(Tentacle Hide armor is from the Underdark)

Are farspawn rhinos a thing? Half-illithid rhino?

incog64
2023-05-07, 09:15 AM
.. I think RAW does actually forbid it? Leafweave:

That is an exhaustive statement. There is no vague statement for 'or similar armors', no permissions or wiggle room here to apply Leafweave to anything else. So if you want Leafweave Nightscale, then Nightscale must be 'padded, leather, studded leather, or hide (armor).' And it isn't any of those - it's Nightscale, its already its own distinct armor type that does not have permission to be modified by leafweave.

.. I assume the intent of combining these two things is to get a 0% Arcane Spell Failure armor without having to invest extra class levels/feats/magic item enhancement +s. The craft templates from DMG2 will do the job - a Feycraft Nightscale suit gets there for cheaper than the Leafweave mod and without any potential rules issues (it's also like.. actually thematic, because I can easily imagine fey wanting suits of armor made of nifty night-black snakescale leather, and it even suits the feycraft quirks of being abnormally body-hugging and having natural patterns or decorations in it!)

Thanks for the context.

Actually, I am a high dex 20 (18 +2) TWF build that is currently at Level 1 and I am trying to figure the most cost effective armor set. I have the fercoity skill which gives me +4 dex and have access to other dex buffs. SO my dex bonuses are pretty high and will only get higher. Ultimately I will be a dervish so I need to minimize my armor penalty while maximizig my dex bonuses. I was using the Budget Armor builder and that is where I noticed that over the long term and at least until very high levels, Eleven Leafewave Armor makes the most sense. I think Elven Leafweave is 3.0 and leafewave is 3.5.

tyckspoon
2023-05-07, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the context.

Actually, I am a high dex 20 (18 +2) TWF build that is currently at Level 1 and I am trying to figure the most cost effective armor set. I have the fercoity skill which gives me +4 dex and have access to other dex buffs. SO my dex bonuses are pretty high and will only get higher. Ultimately I will be a dervish so I need to minimize my armor penalty while maximizig my dex bonuses. I was using the Budget Armor builder and that is where I noticed that over the long term and at least until very high levels, Eleven Leafewave Armor makes the most sense. I think Elven Leafweave is 3.0 and leafewave is 3.5.

Gnomish Twistcloth (Races of Stone) may eventually be worth looking at - it's relatively inexpensive (relevant when you're looking at level 1-3ish wealth values) and has no max dex limit at all. It is Exotic armor, but that's irrelevant because A: it has no armor check penalty to suffer for wearing without proficiency anyways, and B: exotic armor proficiency just lets you unlock its special bonus and isn't required to wear the base armor. It's more or less armored clothing.

ShurikVch
2023-05-07, 11:01 AM
To maximize AC without ACP or impacting your Max Dex Mod - how about to use a Shield?
Mithral Light Shield with Spikes and Razors: +1 AC, 1d4 piercing or slashing damage (light weapon), 1075 gp
Mithral Heavy Shield with Spikes and Razors: +2 AC, 1d6 piercing or slashing damage (one-handed weapon), 1080 gp

incog64
2023-05-07, 12:48 PM
To maximize AC without ACP or impacting your Max Dex Mod - how about to use a Shield?
Mithral Light Shield with Spikes and Razors: +1 AC, 1d4 piercing or slashing damage (light weapon), 1075 gp
Mithral Heavy Shield with Spikes and Razors: +2 AC, 1d6 piercing or slashing damage (one-handed weapon), 1080 gp

I am dual wielding so no shield.

incog64
2023-05-07, 12:53 PM
Gnomish Twistcloth (Races of Stone) may eventually be worth looking at - it's relatively inexpensive (relevant when you're looking at level 1-3ish wealth values) and has no max dex limit at all. It is Exotic armor, but that's irrelevant because A: it has no armor check penalty to suffer for wearing without proficiency anyways, and B: exotic armor proficiency just lets you unlock its special bonus and isn't required to wear the base armor. It's more or less armored clothing.

According to the budget AC caclulator, the most cost effective armor for a while is nightscale armor and just get it enchanced. At much later levels bracers of armor is the way to go.

ShurikVch
2023-05-07, 01:12 PM
I am dual wielding so no shield.
Shield is a weapon in its own right (and Spiked Shield - even more so)
Thus, unless you're relying on weapon-specific bonuses (like Weapon Focus, etc) - what's the problem with dual wielding weapon and shield? (Unless you're using one of "double weapons")

Also, may be not for early game, but the most effective non-magical ACP 0 armor is the Power Armor (Return to the Temple of the Frog (https://web.archive.org/web/20070816190110/http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/Return_Temple_Frog.zip)): AC 10, ACP 0, Max Dex +8 (and ASF 0%); costs 9000 gp; power runs out in 1d4 months (4 month - if 100% charged)

Drakevarg
2023-05-07, 01:15 PM
Shield is a weapon in its own right (and Spiked Shield - even more so)
Thus, unless you're relying on weapon-specific bonuses (like Weapon Focus, etc) - what's the problem with dual wielding weapon and shield? (Unless you're using one of "double weapons")

If the fantasy that is trying to be expressed through the character is "mage wielding two axes," (or two swords or sword and axe or whatever) a shield is... not that, no matter how much "well technically" you try to apply to it.

Darg
2023-05-07, 01:19 PM
If the fantasy that is trying to be expressed through the character is "mage wielding two axes," (or two swords or sword and axe or whatever) a shield is... not that, no matter how much "well technically" you try to apply to it.

Buckler is an option. It's only a -1 to the hand attached to the arm using it.