PDA

View Full Version : Geralt Witcher class

Stormtrooper666
2023-05-06, 01:12 AM
Hey

What class would Geralt from the Witcher be(besides blood hunter)? Netflix or video game version. I'm partially familiar with the game and I'm familiar with the Netflix version

Hytheter
2023-05-06, 01:48 AM
Blood Hunter? Assuming your DM allows Mercer homebrew.

Shadean207
2023-05-06, 02:53 AM
Realistically, probably Ranger with some Alchemist Artificer mixed in, pun intended.

Geralt is a Human, obv. a Variant.
I'd go for either Outlander or Soldier background, both can work well.
Then go for a melee Ranger. Either Hunter or Monster Slayer could work.
Take three levels of Artificer for the Alchemist subclass (all the potions are relatively close to some of Geralt's own).
Put the rest in Ranger, although you could maybe go for 1-3 levels of Fighter.

That partly depends on the level of your game.
Enjoy your Build-A-Geralt ;)

Yuki Akuma
2023-05-06, 02:58 AM
He's absolutely a Ranger of some description. I'd personally say "Witcher" is a human subrace, rather than a class.

JellyPooga
2023-05-06, 06:37 AM
Some Warlock dip on your Ranger chassis might not be optimal, but some Invocations would handily replicate some of the supernatural aspects of the Witcher "race" (e.g. Devil's Sight for seeing in the dark, etc.) as well as expanding your spell list to include some of the more arcane magic displayed by the character (force, fire, lightning).

LibraryOgre
2023-05-06, 07:06 AM
Human. Likely a fighter, possibly a ranger, with the Witcher Background (https://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/2020/07/witcher-background.html).

Skrum
2023-05-06, 07:45 AM
5 comments in and no one said Eldritch Knight? Little surprised. Fighter (EK) 7 Ranger (Hunter, or maybe Gloomstalker) 3 sounds about right

I'd put him somewhere in the level 10 range. Powerful enough to solo notable monsters, but not epic.

Seekergeek
2023-05-06, 12:10 PM
I played a Witcher-esq monster hunter using the custom lineage race and bounty hunter background on top of the vengeance paladin and a gentle refluffing of spells and a component pouch as potions. Felt good.

Chronos
2023-05-07, 06:57 AM
Someone in my group played a "witcher" as a hexblade. It meant changing the hexblade fluff, but given that hexblade doesn't even have any fluff, that's no problem.

stoutstien
2023-05-07, 07:10 AM
Someone in my group played a "witcher" as a hexblade. It meant changing the hexblade fluff, but given that hexblade doesn't even have any fluff, that's no problem.

Shot fired...but yea..

It was impressive they pulled off such a bland mess for such a powerful and popular theme.

Oramac
2023-05-08, 10:35 AM
All the other options mentioned are great.

Since the OP mentioned the games, I'll throw out my Slayer Class (https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-Lopa6JVxoDvBhYpqiJ8) that I based heavily on the Witcher 1 game.

Trask
2023-05-08, 12:34 PM
Yeah I feel this is a fighter with a custom race, custom feats, and a custom background. I don't feel something like a Hexblade or Ranger works so well conceptually because Witcher magic is very basic, its most comparable to only having cantrips, or maybe being a 1/3 caster. Also witchers are supposed to be swordsmen without compare, stronger, faster, and more skilled than almost anyone else. Who else fits such criterion better than the Fighter?

The Rune Carver UA redesigned into being Witcher's potions or maybe even just some expanded rules for using an Herbalism kit could suffice, along with a race/background that makes you solely able to consume special potions.

Strictly BtB tho I'd probably go with Battlemaster Fighter w/ Blind Fighting + Proficiency in Herbalist Kit. The ability to study your enemy fits Witchers VERY well. Then grab like, Magic Initiate for Friends + Blade Ward and Thunderwave, and maybe another feat for Ember of the Fire Giant (if you can use UA) which would make for a GREAT igni.

Joe the Rat
2023-05-09, 08:50 AM

Shot fired...but yea..

It was impressive they pulled off such a bland mess for such a powerful and popular theme.
Repelling Blast for the force incantaiton, shield... yeah, that covers a lot of ground. Mmm. A Warlock splash on a Martial core might be a little better.

The one complication is the "Performance Enhancing Elixirs". I see Alchemist popping up a lot, but book (and Netflix) Geralt wasn't much of a 'brewer. Given the reliance on the Witcher's mutated physiology, it's closer to describe them as self-only enchantments that utilize material components. If you have a passion for redifining spellcasting flavors, you could overlay artifice-style casting (using specific alchemical components, in this case, but having a dedicated casting device is another angle) on to these aspects, while leaving the sorcery-lite elements (shield and force shove, pretty much) as , er, sorcery-lite.

Unoriginal
2023-05-09, 10:48 AM
The one complication is the "Performance Enhancing Elixirs". I see Alchemist popping up a lot, but book (and Netflix) Geralt wasn't much of a 'brewer.

Uh, didn't know that.

Game!Geralt is noted to be a reputed alchemist, outside of his Witcher career, IIRC. At least in the 3rd game.