PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Giant Dwarf, the Rock Superstar (a War Chanter build)

Gruftzwerg
2023-05-06, 03:43 AM
So you wanna be a Rock Superstar... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4VpE-0zitU)

This build is primary optimized for fluff and secondary for power.
If you wanna build up tension and unleash the wild energies in your allies, this is the right build. Shock your enemies in fear and charge all over em in a wall of death. Be a rough rockstar, or a vandal, an anarchist, a hooligan or whoever else tries to break the status quo and pretends to be rough. Slip into your Alter Ego to live your wildest dreams xD

Background:
Our lil star was born into a large human (mixed) metropolis. There where barely any other elves in town. And to make the situation even worse (for his parents), he did befriend with some dwarf children in town. Every day he was coming back with bruisers over his body from playing with the dwarfs. Their rough culture was spreading to much onto his behavior and thus his parents decided to put him into a monk monastery near the town to discipline him. They thought that this would be the best solution for him to release all the daily energy he has in a disciplined manner.
For some time the idea seems to work. But the older he gets, the more problematic he becomes. And as soon as he is old enough to drink wine at ceremonies, it's over. He gets totally wasted on multiple occasions and shows some (minor) disrespectful behavior and gets thrown out of the order. (still L-N)
He tries to stick to the teaching of his former master to further improve himself (while making a living somehow), since he doesn't know anything else to do with himself at the moment.

Alignment: L - N; later C - N

Race: Star Elf
Religon: Kord

STR: 16 (+ 5 from lvlUp + 5 from Wish + 6 Item = 32max)
DEX: 14
CON: 12 (14-2)
INT: 10
WIS: 10
CHA: 16 (14+2) (can also we pushed with Wish and Item, but not as important as STR)

LVL
Class
BAB
For
Ref
Wil
Skills

* = cross class
Feats
Class Features

1st
Monk

Knight Hospitaller
(Dragon #358)

Raging Monk
(Dragon #310)
+0
+2
+2
+2
Bluff: 2*
Knowledge (arcana): 4
Perform (singing): 4
Tumble: 4
Otherworldly

Weapon Focus:
Unarmed Strikes
(bonus)
Unarmed Strike 1d6

Rage 1/day

Monk Bonus Feat

2nd
Monk
+1
+3
+3
+3
Bluff: 2.5*
Knowledge (arcana): 5
Perform: 5
Tumble: 5
Combat Expertise
(bonus)
Evasion

Monk Bonus Feat

3rd
Fighter
+2
+5
+3
+3
Bluff: 3*
Intimidate: 1
Deceitful

Dodge (bonus)
Fighter Bonus Feat

4th
Bard
+2
+5
+5
+5
Bluff: 7 (+4)
Perform: 7 (+2)

Bardic Knowledge

Bardic Music:
Countersong
Healing Hymn
Inspire Courage +1

5th
Bard
+3
+5
+6
+6
Bluff: 8
Perform: 8
Spellcraft: 4 (+4)

6th
Mountebank
(Complete Scoundrel)

+3
+5
+8
+6
Tumble: 9 (+4)
Great Fortitude
Tongue of the Devil

7th
Mountebank
+4
+5
+9
+6
Intimidate: 4 (+3)
Tumble: 10

Sneak Attack

8th
Mountebank
+5
+6
+9
+7
Intimidate: 7 (+3)
Tumble: 11

Alter Ego

9th
Drunken Master
+5
+8
+11
+7
Intimidate: 10 (+3)
Tumble: 12
Power Attack
Drink like a Demon

Improvised Weapons

10th
Drunken Master
+6
+9
+12
+7
Intimidate: 13 (+3)
Tumble: 13

Stagger

11th
War Chanter
+7
+11
+12
+7
Perform: 12 (+4)

War Chanter Music

Inspire Toughness

12th
War Chanter
+8
+12
+12
+7
Intimidate: 14
Perform: 15 (+3)
Cleave

13th
War Chanter
+9
+12
+13
+8
Balance: 1
Intimidate: 16 (+2)
Perform: 16

Inspire Recklessness

14th
War Chanter
+10
+13
+13
+8
Intimidate: 17
Perform: 17
Tumble: 14* (+2)

15th
War Chanter
+11
+13
+13
+8
Intimidate: 18
Perform: 18
Tumble: 15* (+2)
Greater Cleave
Combine Song

16th
War Chanter
+12
+14
+14
+9
Intimidate: 19
Perform: 19
Tumble: 16* (+2)

17th
War Chanter
+13
+14
+14
+9
Intimidate: 20
Perform: 20
Tumble: 17* (+2)

Inspire Awe

18th
War Chanter
+14
+15
+14
+9
Intimidate: 21
Perform: 21
Tumble: 18* (+2)
Haunting Melody
Singing Shout

19th
War Chanter
+15
+15
+15
+10
Intimidate: 22
Perform: 22
Tumble: 19* (+2)

20th
War Chanter
+16
+16
+15
+10
Intimidate: 23
Perform: 23
Tumble: 20* (+2)

Inspire Legion

1-5
Soon we are at the end of the thing we could train from the memories of our former teacher (2nd lvl monk). Thus we focus on more general improvement in combat. We earn a living as an adventurer that likes to spend his money in taverns for alcohol and good music. He also enjoys singing himself. His rough voice splits the audience. Some enjoy his rough voice while other dislike it. He once again befriends with some dwarves to form a rock band (bard).
But somehow he thinks that his rough voice doesn't fit his fragile elfish appearance. Even if he is buffed for elfish standards, he looks still fragile compared to the other dwarves in the band. Thus he looks for ways to gain an alter ego magically.

Our alignment shifts slowly away from being lawful (N).

Not much to say here. We start out basically as simple monk/bard splash and prepare for later stuff.
Healing Hymn helps to push our lil CLW heals and improves the night rest (counts as 24h full rest).

6-10
Our lil wannabe star has finally established an Alter Ego: Giant Dwarf (Dwarf Ancestor)
This is much more fitting and impressive as band singer.
With the band's success we get more and more drunk and establish a hard alcohol addiction. (C-N)
In one of our tavern brawls we meet a Drunken Master and get impressed by his fighting style. This reminds our lil star of the times back when he was a monk. He somehow likes the old man and tries to learn from him for some time. (Drunken Master)

Finally we get to pick our Alter Ego.
Dwarf Ancestor is a nice (large) combat form with a beefy Natural Armor (+13).
To qualify for that we need to cheese out 2 arcane caster levels at the level up to get up to 5HD forms.
The best cheapest solution would be a scroll/wand of Create Magic Tattoo and a Vanguard of Kord (350g, +1 clvl to luck domain or transmutation spells). If you are looking for alternative options to raise your caster level, have a look here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?654710-Raising-Caster-Level).

Stagger gets rid of the straight line limitation of charge. Thus we can charge every turn despite the position to our enemy (we can even run back and forth).
Stagger is best used in a Circlepit ;)

Also note that Improvised Weapons allows to get the 2h STR bonus to damage (which regular Unarmed Strikes can't).
Drink-Like-A-Demon turns you into the undisputed king of every drinking contest. If you have preparation time, you can drink (as a move action) some booze to get a stacking +2 bonus to STR or CON.

11-15
Finally we become a War Chanter. Let the mosh-pit begin!

Inspire Recklessness basically turns all allies into Shock Troopers. Combined with Stagger and Great Cleave we can now mosh our enemies with ease.
Call for a Moshpit and let everyone get wild! ^^

Combine Song lets our lil star combine 2 songs/chants at the same time. Will come very handy later.

15-20
We finally become perfect in animating the audience. Create a wall of death (Inspire Legion) to smash your enemies.

Inspire Awe is a good chant to control bigger packs of enemies. It is a fear effect that is based on your level in comprehension to the enemies level. Even enemies up to 5 levels higher become shaken. And with Haunting Melody even those enemies (5 levels higher) can become frightened. Add Intimidate on top and you can even make enemies 5 levels higher panicked.

Singing Shout seems to be at will, since it ain't a chant (no perform roll, no mention of consuming a daily charge of bardic music). However, it provides a nice +4 enhancement bonus to STR for all allies.

Inspire Legion is the best chant to combine with Inspire Recklessness. It gives either the best BAB of any ally or your character level as BAB to all allies. This increases the dmg to a consistent base for everyone.
Here our rockstar cheers everyone up for a Wall of Death! ^^

Recommended Magic Items

Sandals of the Tiger's Leap
Double damage when making Unarmed Strikes while charging.

Necklace of Natural Attacks +5 +Valorous
Another Crit multiplier for unarmed strikes while charging

Wands
As bard we can use many interesting spells that can fit into wands. Get a good collection. But keep in mind that we won't really use em in combat. Thus pick long time buffs or stuff that is useful outside of combat.

Armor
Since we don't have any WIS mod for monk AC, we can use a mithral full plate armor if we wanna go full Heavy Metal. Up to you choice if you want more AC (and reduced speed) or normal movementspeed with a light armor.

Healer's Standard
This gives the bearer and all unarmed allies a Sanctuary spell effect with a DC 16 Will save to pass. Perfect for abuse with Unarmed Strikes. Can also be used as Improvised Weapon if you don't have anything else at hand.

END

I hope you all enjoyed this silly build. If you wanna initiate some trouble (https://www.mtv.de/musikvideos/syhjj2/trouble) with your allies, this is the build.

As always, Updates may follow. I appreciate any kind of feedback.

Anthrowhale
2023-05-06, 06:26 AM
Alter Ego says:

This ability works like the alter self spell, except that you can assume only the appearance of your alternate identity.
I would expect the appearance to not grant a natural armor bonus.

It also says:

Your caster level for this ability is equal to your mountebank class level. i.e. 3
Alter Self says:

The maximum HD of an assumed form is equal to your caster level so you are limited to 3HD or less alter egos.
But Dwarf Ancestor says:

Hit Dice: 5
so Dwarf Ancestor is not a valid choice for Alter Ego.

Gruftzwerg
2023-05-06, 08:42 AM
Alter Ego says:

I would expect the appearance to not grant a natural armor bonus.

It also says:
i.e. 3
Alter Self says:
so you are limited to 3HD or less alter egos.
But Dwarf Ancestor says:

so Dwarf Ancestor is not a valid choice for Alter Ego.

Natural Armor Bonus:

Sorry but I disagree here:

..., except that you can assume only the appearance of your alternate identity.
This is referring to the limitation that you can sole assume your alternate identity and may not chose other forms.
It is not a limitation to the stat changes from Alter Self.

If that would be the intention, we have abilities that are based on Disguie Self with physical changes (e.g. Changelings), which would be much more fitting for that.

HD:

Good catch. Totally missed that Alter Ego still inherits the HD limitation for the forms picked...

Since the HD limitation is sole relevant when picking the target form (at lvl up; can't be changed later), we could cheese out our way. Just buy a "Ring of Arcane Might" and get a scroll/wand of "Magical Tattoo" for the missing 2 caster level.

I've taken notes for the update.

I hope that you still enjoyed the build.

@ everybody else:
I'm begging for feedback^^

Gruftzwerg
2023-05-17, 12:12 AM
I have updated the build to include the two missing caster level mentioned by Anthrowhale (thx for your keen eyes).

Sadly the interest in the build seems very low :(

I would still appreciate any feedback as said.

Let me tease the next build in line:

"A Dragonfire Mount's Ubermount and its Ubermount"

I hope I could leave you confused and raise some interest for the upcoming build ;)

Akal Saris
2023-05-17, 12:46 AM
Warchanter's a very under-rated PrC. I like what you did here to mix in some unusual starts to the build!

Gruftzwerg
2023-05-17, 11:02 AM
Warchanter's a very under-rated PrC. I like what you did here to mix in some unusual starts to the build!
Thx for the feedback =)

I agree. With the amount of ubercharger builds the forum sees, one should assume to see warchanter more often. I mean, you buff all allies to become Shock Troopers. Combine that with some kind of minionmancy build of an ally and go to town.

Regarding the build's base level choices. I had to decide to either go with a full bardic approach or to stick to a more melee defined build. I did go for the latter since I did find it more appealing. And Mountebank provides the build with a nice all day long Alter Ego form.

Drunken Master is a good filler for the remaining levels and adds to the fluff and the ubercharger aspect of the build.

I also forgot to mention that the build can always use Summon Instrument to have an improvised weapon at hand to smash (naturally rolled 1 = item breaks). I mean, you couldn't call yourself a rockstar without smashing some kind of instrument every now and then.. ^^

Chronos
2023-05-17, 04:14 PM
Which Mountebank class is this? I presume it's not the one from Dragon Magazine Compendium, whose most distinctive ability is "Go to Hell!"?

H_H_F_F
2023-05-17, 04:19 PM
Which Mountebank class is this? I presume it's not the one from Dragon Magazine Compendium, whose most distinctive ability is "Go to Hell!"?

It's from Complete Scoundrel.

Gruftzwerg
2023-05-17, 11:12 PM

Sorry, forgot about that one. I had it mind and thus wanted to mention the source of the mountebank I'm using here but forgot about that.

Thx at H_H_F_F for providing the source in my absence.

I've updated the table to show that it's from Complete Scoundrel.

I hope you enjoyed the build.