PDA

View Full Version : PF spell Command

Glarnog
2023-05-06, 10:20 AM
How would you rule the spell vs a PC mounted on a giant gecko riding up the side of a building. Roughly 30' up?

The command give was 'dismount'. Adding more peril, that side of the building was over water. Luckily the save was made.

I assume this and other spells like it will pop up from time to time moving forward. Maybe a dummy cord tied between the PC and the mount would help?

Thanks

sreservoir
2023-05-06, 11:00 AM
As written, Command lets you select from its options, not open-ended permission to give the target a one-word command. There are some choice one-word commands you could give were that not the case!

Gnaeus
2023-05-06, 11:04 AM
As written, Command lets you select from its options, not open-ended permission to give the target a one-word command. There are some choice one-word commands you could give were that not the case!

Thats true, but in this case, Fall is a listed command that would seem to have the same effect.

Kurald Galain
2023-05-06, 12:19 PM
How would you rule the spell vs a PC mounted on a giant gecko riding up the side of a building. Roughly 30' up?
I would rule that the PC falls in the water and the gecko stays up there, yes. Characters that spend a lot of time climbing or flying would do well to have a way to use Feather Fall.

Maybe a dummy cord tied between the PC and the mount would help?
Probably not; there is a reason why real-world knights do not tie themselves to their mount with a dummy cord. I mean, contingencies are good; but tying one thing to another thing is often not the best choice for one :smallamused:

Rynjin
2023-05-06, 01:22 PM
Yeah, going to "signal boost" the point made earlier that "Dismount" is not a valid command for Command. It didn't matter much in this case since "Fall" is an explicit command that can be chosen, but try to keep that in mind going forward. Making offhand buffs to spells like that is a dicey prospect.

Glarnog
2023-05-06, 05:35 PM
What if the fall command had been given to the gecko? Who has like spider climb? Would he "fall" vs the surface he's sticking too?

Could a dispell affect the geckos spider climb?

And thank you all so much!

Kurald Galain
2023-05-06, 05:42 PM
What if the fall command had been given to the gecko?
The spell is language-dependent, so that wouldn't work. But as a general concept, yes, targeting the mount is often a good idea.

Could a dispell affect the geckos spider climb?
No, because gecko's climbing ability is not magical.

Glarnog
2023-05-06, 05:52 PM
So that's a good point. I'll have to ask the DM. The mount has an Intelligence of 6. He may understand a language. Most likely either common or Gnomish.

Would a military saddle keep the rider from falling due to the spell Command "fall"?

I have so many interesting, unique to me, questions:)