PDA

View Full Version : Optimization The scoundrell rogue tank build concept

Flik9999
2023-05-06, 01:23 PM
Hello so people always complain about how rogues suck in 5e. There not the massive damage dealers in 5e that they are in 4e and videogames. They actually seam to resemble the 2e thief a bit more being kinda bad at combat (although sneak attack is a hell of a lot easier to get than backstab was.)

I know its possible to build a single class rogue damage dealer using arcane trickster and booming blade but there not exactly topping the damage, sometimes they even do less damage than Tanks. My idea however was to build a tank rogue. My idea is 15 levels of rogue and 5 levels of Bear totem barbarian.

Soi my idea is, the classic rogue good at social skills, steals things. This rogue fights with no armor and wields a rapier and shield.

I was thinking 1st level barbarian human varient take Sentinal as feat.
Level 1
Stats: S: 13 D:16 C:16 I: 8
HP:14
AC: 18
The 2nd level would then go into rogue to grab expertise and get the character concept going, archetypes would be Bear barbarian and swashbuckler. After that im not sure which route to go up to level 6.
If I went the next 4 levels as rogue I would get sneak attack up to +3D6 which would give me the ability to hold threat better and also gets me the ability to reduce a hit to 1/4 damage. I feel like my damage would also be the same or maybe even higher than if I went and grabbed 2nd attack from the barb, bearing in mind I wont be getting bonus damage from rage and my weapon die is only a d8. But I feel like 7-10 would feel like not much is progressing because my damage is not increasing at all.
Stats at level 6 going this route
S: 13 D:18 C:16 I: 8
HP:54
AC: 19
Rages per day: 2
Main turn attacks: Rapier 1D8+4 +3D6 avg 19
Sentinal attack: 1D8+4+3D6 avg 19
If I went the next 4 levels of Barbarian I would have a single level at 5 when im weak but hey im a tank my job isnt to do damage. But my stickiness wouldnt be that great, however the progression between 7 and 10 would feel like I am progressing cos my sneak attack die is going up. I would have more HP but be missing the ability to take big hits down to 1/4 damage.
Stats at level 6 going this route. Both builds could also put the shield away and draw a 2nd weapon or get hold of one of those elven double blades to strike twice.
S: 13 D:18 C:16 I: 8
HP:64
AC: 19
Rages per day: 3
Main turn attacks: Rapierx2 2D8+8 +1D6 avg 19.5
Sentinal attack: 1D8+4+1D6 avg 12

Any advice on which path would be better in the runup to level 10? And what would be a nice way to improve it. I will be limited to phb + storms coast guide.

Unoriginal
2023-05-06, 03:34 PM
Hello so people always complain about how rogues suck in 5e.

Do you have date to corroborate this statement?

I've never seen anything indicating that complains about Rogues are or ever were prevalent in the nearly 10 years of 5e's existence.

JNAProductions
2023-05-06, 03:55 PM
I have a spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ynrHYlKx7zljiOIodfHB75zocspz-fPcAyfFnkPVzOY/edit?usp=sharing) that compares a two shortsword TWF Rogue vs. a Glaive/Halberd PAM and GWM Fighter.

They're pretty comparable.

CTurbo
2023-05-06, 05:49 PM
Hello so people always complain about how rogues suck in 5e.

I was about to be quick to say that I've never heard a single complaint about the 5e Rogue, but I guess that's not exactly true. What is true though is that I've never heard a single complaint about the 5e Rogue from a player that knows and understands what the 5e Rogue is all about and knows how to play with one. The only complaints I've heard were from people that didn't know how to play one. I think maybe some peoples' expectations are off. The 5e Rogue is not really meant to be "just" a damage dealer. It's one of the most well rounded classes in the game and easily the most well rounded martial character IMO.

I think the 5e Rogue does an adequate amount of damage especially when you consider everything else they bring to the table.

I think a Rogue/Battle Master build would out damage a Rogue/Barbarian build though.

Gignere
2023-05-06, 08:15 PM
Arcane Trickster and Phantom Rogues are one of the highest DPR builds in the game. Not sure why you say everyone say rogue damage suck.

stoutstien
2023-05-07, 05:31 AM
Arcane Trickster and Phantom Rogues are one of the highest DPR builds in the game. Not sure why you say everyone say rogue damage suck.

Soulknife is up there as well thanks to action friendly accuracy boost, advantage generation, and stuns. Low level is also solid with practical free CBE.