PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Knight questions

Horrorfan
2023-05-06, 05:42 PM
Hey

I have a few questions regarding an Eldritch Knight.

1. Should they wear heavy armor

2. Can you use blunt weapons like a mace?

3. Should the off hand be using a shield or magic?

stoutstien
2023-05-06, 07:03 PM
Hey

Depends on stats.

Yes.

Depends on what spells you want to use and/or you invest in warcaster. *Assuming your table follows the recommendations when it comes to spell components to begin with*

Samayu
2023-05-06, 10:13 PM
Consider an EK to be a fighter who boosts their fighting ability with magic. Don't think of them as a spellcaster who can also fight. So start with making a fighter the way you want to fight, then consider how you can use spells to augment that.

I'm not familiar with any common killer builds like exist for certain other classes. I'm sure others are more aware than I am, but I'd say those builds are not as critical to performance as they can be for other classes.

In other words, build it any way you want!

Leon
2023-05-07, 12:27 AM
In other words, build it any way you want!

This should be the core of any character creation really.

CTurbo
2023-05-07, 01:20 AM
Hey

These questions are too vague really.

1. You don't HAVE to wear heavy armor, but it's a good option if you want the tankiest option with highest AC. Dex is the superior stat though and a Dex based EK Fighter in light armor may not deal quite as much damage, but can be extremely good still.

2. Sure. Fighters can use any weapon.

3. This in entirely up to you. You don't HAVE to hold anything with your off hand, but a shield provides a pretty good +2 boost to your AC.