PDA

View Full Version : Can a Ranger have a faerie dragon as an Urban Companion?

incog64
2023-05-07, 02:02 PM
So if I have the Urban Companion ACF, 8 Levels of ranger which is equivalent to 4 levels of druid, natural bond (+3 druid levels) and improved familiar can I get a faerie dragon as a companion? Thoughts?

Urban Companion
Replaces: If you select this class feature, you do not gain an animal companion.

Benefit: The character gains the companionship of a smaller but far more intelligent creature than she
otherwise would have. This is identical to the sorcerer's ability to summon a familiar (PH 52), including all
benefits granted and gained by the familiar, except as noted below. Her functional level for determining the
abilities of the companion is equal to her druid level or one-half her ranger level.

Faerie Dragons as Familiars
Although difficult to control, a faerie dragon can make for a powerful familiar. Spellcasters wishing to take a faerie dragon as a familiar must take the Improved Familiar feat and have an alignment within one step of chaotic good. The character must have an arcane spellcaster level of at least 7th before taking a faerie dragon as a familiar.

Anthrowhale
2023-05-07, 05:58 PM
I don't think Natural Bond works with Urban Companion. Urban Companion says:

Her functional level for determining the abilities of the companion is equal to her druid level or one-half her ranger level. That's the actual druid or ranger level, not the effective druid level for the animal companion.

Also, there's an argument that Natural Bond does not do anything since it's prerequisite (Animal Companion) is not met.

incog64
2023-05-07, 06:17 PM
I see your point if it was a spell but this is an Ability. So I think the question is does Natural Bind increase your level for summoning creatures. If it does not, is there something beside beast master to increase my level relevant to summoning a companion?

Gorthawar
2023-05-08, 03:16 AM
The character must have an arcane spellcaster level of at least 7th before taking a faerie dragon as a familiar.

Even if natural bond works to improve your effective level for familiar boni like intelligence it doesn't give you an arcane spellcaster level of 7. However, you can always ask your DM to allow it anyway as it's not exactly overpowered.

Thurbane
2023-05-08, 05:26 AM
What's the source for having a Faerie Dragon as an Improved familiar? I've never heard that before, and it doesn't make it onto this list: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?553103

They seem quite powerful compared to most other Improved Familiars.

Or is this a Pathfinder thing?

incog64
2023-05-08, 07:53 AM
What's the source for having a Faerie Dragon as an Improved familiar? I've never heard that before, and it doesn't make it onto this list: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?553103

They seem quite powerful compared to most other Improved Familiars.

Or is this a Pathfinder thing?

Yeah I learned that it is pathfinder. I thought it was 3.5. You can have dragons as a familiar per the Draconomicon.

Thurbane
2023-05-08, 05:51 PM
Yeah I learned that it is pathfinder. I thought it was 3.5. You can have dragons as a familiar per the Draconomicon.

Ahh, makes sense. I think the 3.5 version of the Faerie Dragon is significantly more powerful than the PF version.