PDA

View Full Version : Best Sid Meiers game...

Mr. Mud
2007-12-05, 04:07 PM
Anyone else here play games like Pitates or any of the civilization (1-4) games? If so, which is the best?

LordVader
2007-12-05, 04:46 PM
Alpha Centauri.

If your response to that is "What's Alpha Centauri?" I won't be suprised.:smallbiggrin:

Mr. Mud
2007-12-05, 05:09 PM
Nah, I've played Alaph Centuri a few times... good game overall, though I am not the best at it... Let's just say I'm terrible, and not go into details :smallbiggrin:

A Rainy Knight
2007-12-05, 05:12 PM
I love the many different courses of actions that Pirates presents to you, and I also like to take over the world in Civ IV. Civ IV is definitely better than Civ III, but I've never played I or II.

Mr. Mud
2007-12-05, 05:16 PM
Meh. ALL... yes ALL the Civ. games are great but 3 and 4 are best... possibly tied. And yea, Pirates was good because for the sea battles alone and the rest was superfluous, but in my book, it had nothing on Civ.(s) :smallredface:

Gaelbert
2007-12-05, 05:53 PM
Civ 2 is amazing. Civ 4 is pretty good too, but I haven't been able to get into it as much as I did for Civ 2.

Timarvay
2007-12-05, 06:25 PM
Tough choice for me between Civ IV and Pirates. I'm leaning towards Pirates for the sea battles and sneaking. I'm good at sneaking. I make everyone mad.

Winterwind
2007-12-05, 07:02 PM
While I haven't played all of them, from the ones I know, Alpha Centauri easily takes the cake.

Cryopyre
2007-12-05, 09:33 PM
Wasn't MoO a Sid Meier game? Now I'm doubting, I'm gonna go look it up

If it is, that one

Winterwind
2007-12-05, 09:56 PM
Wikipedia claims otherwise (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Orion).

Else, I would have chosen it myself (or the sequel, anyway).

Dhavaer
2007-12-06, 05:36 AM
MY favourite is Civ 2: Test of Time, but I'd like to try Alpha Centauri.

Ethdred
2007-12-07, 08:24 AM
Wot no Gettysburg?

(No I haven't played it either)

Pirates is good, and obviously Civ is one of the greatest games of all time, but Alpha Centauri has to take the prize

Hermit
2007-12-07, 09:04 AM
I'd say Pirates! Purely because I remember owning Pirates! Gold all those years ago and losing a lot of my life to it. The remake is one of those games that never gets uninstalled from my HDD, absolutely love it. Huge Civ fan too. I think I have to rank Civ4 as my fave.

Bunny of Faith
2007-12-07, 09:29 AM
My vote's going to Pirates! Only because I've not played any of the Civilisations enough.

Oeep Snaec
2007-12-07, 08:52 PM
Gettysburg is an AMAZING game. It easily competes with the CIVs. He also has Antietam out, and I hope to get both for Christmas.

Hecore
2007-12-08, 12:32 AM
SimGolf, just to be the only person on this thread to say it.

Hermit
2007-12-08, 04:55 AM
As a side point someone really needs to introduce Sid to the DS. Civilization DS would be awesome, and Pirates! was practically screaming for a DS remake. Stylus based swordplay would be ace.

Dragor
2007-12-08, 04:03 PM
Gettysburg! was a great game, simply adored it. I've buggered my disc up so badly however that I can't play it anymore. :smallfrown:

I love all of Sid Meier's games equally, but none have stood the test of time for me as much as Civ 4 has. I simply cannot put it down.

Alpha Centauri is brilliant too, but Civ 4 just edges above it, for some reason. Probably because Hotseat never gets old for me. :smalltongue:

Flying Elephant
2007-12-08, 04:58 PM
As a side point someone really needs to introduce Sid to the DS. Civilization DS would be awesome, and Pirates! was practically screaming for a DS remake. Stylus based swordplay would be ace.

Civilization Revolution is coming out in spring for 360, Wii, PS3, and DS.

S.ilver
2007-12-08, 09:09 PM
Alpha Centauri. Something about the atmosphere of that game just makes it timeless (still have it installed).

Although Civ4 MIGHT edge it out with the amount of content that it has right now.

Mr. Mud
2007-12-08, 09:10 PM
Amen to that S.ilv

Ronsian
2007-12-08, 09:11 PM
Sid Meiers game eh? Antietam was a good one, better then Gettysburg. I remember the ol' Pirates, and the new one was good too. I was too young to play Civ 1 or 2 a whole lot, and 3 and 4 are good. Alpha Centauri was good, I should play it some more. No Colonization fans here? It's abandon ware, I highly recommend you check it out. Can't wait for a sequel to come out, and Civilization Revolutions should be... interesting? to say the least.

Sneak
2007-12-08, 11:59 PM
I played Civ 2 and 3 a little bit, as well as the remake of Pirates! for PSP. I'm personally not that much of a Civ fan, (GASP!) but they are pretty fun. I think I like Pirates! better. Maybe just cuz I like pirates. :P The thing that bothers me about it though is that it's more of a string of fun mini-games than an actual game. It's still very fun and an amusing diversion, but I don't think it has that much lasting entertainment value, unlike the Civ games.

Driderman
2007-12-09, 06:38 AM
I played the old Pirates game from 1990 so thoroughly that when the new one was released, I had no use of the added map function, I already knew where everything was!
Colonization was a great game too, still play it from time to time, and Civilization was a whole new world. Educational too, I can't have been much more than 10-12 years old when I got that game, taught me a lot about history.
The best game of them all though, is Alpha Centauri, no doubt about it.

Mr. Mud
2007-12-09, 10:11 AM
I played Civ 2 and 3 a little bit, as well as the remake of Pirates! for PSP. I'm personally not that much of a Civ fan, (GASP!) but they are pretty fun. I think I like Pirates! better. Maybe just cuz I like pirates. :P The thing that bothers me about it though is that it's more of a string of fun mini-games than an actual game. It's still very fun and an amusing diversion, but I don't think it has that much lasting entertainment value, unlike the Civ games.

Blasphemy! :smallbiggrin: Pirates on the PSP... was that any good? I played the remake on the computer. :smallconfused:

Grey, Darling
2007-12-09, 10:30 AM
Definitively SMAC

Nibleswick
2007-12-10, 11:07 AM
There all quite good, I mean I have four different SM games on my computer right now, and I play them rather evenly(Colonization, Civ, SMAC, and Pirates). Really, how can you make me choose between them.