PDA

View Full Version : Locating a body

Shinoskay
2023-05-08, 04:41 PM
I died, then got revived, and now im trying to recover my stuff. The previous body wasnt used for the revival so im trying to find ways to use it to help this.

Locate object has a range of 400+40 per level and that doesnt seem like enough. I have a starting point about 1 to 4 hours off going 60-120 feet a round speed in a storm (got struck by lightning, it was either risk the lightning or die by a delayed 1/r con poison.... rock and a hard place, eh).

I have a few unique items, and it was in a forest so I imagine there arent a lot of items in the forest anyways but my unique items are certainly going to help.

I dont think scrying is practical, I cant reliably cast that spell. if there is a spell that lets you find the NEAREST of a thing, this could help me... but locate object/creature isnt enough.

Biggus
2023-05-08, 05:38 PM
What class and level are you?

Thurbane
2023-05-08, 05:55 PM
Commune (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/commune.htm) could probably do it, but you may need to triangulate using yes/no answers, and compass directions and/or landmarks.

Various more powerful divinations spells could probably do it too.

ciopo
2023-05-08, 06:08 PM
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/create-treasure-map

Barstro
2023-05-08, 06:27 PM
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/create-treasure-map

You need a body for that spell. If he can find the body, then he no longer needs the spell.

Shinoskay
2023-05-09, 02:03 AM
What class and level are you?

its complicated, so just go with 'sword of the arcane order build'

You need a body for that spell. If he can find the body, then he no longer needs the spell.
yes, but then again it took a few days just to revive let alone getting back to the area of the body. so, if I have to chase after looters who some how found my body in the middle of an almost swamp like forest then that spell will actually help me relocate my stuff.

*edit: it only gives you 24 hours since death, Its been days already so actually that option is off the table

Commune (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/commune.htm) could probably do it, but you may need to triangulate using yes/no answers, and compass directions and/or landmarks.

Various more powerful divinations spells could probably do it too.

Im evil, so not too keen about communing.

Inevitability
2023-05-09, 05:36 AM
Im evil, so not too keen about communing.

D&D has evil gods, doesn't it? You can just contact those.

Using Lesser Planar Binding to grab an Imp from somewhere should probably work to give you access. It'll also put an intermediary between the caster and the spell, if you care about that.

Biggus
2023-05-09, 07:28 AM
its complicated, so just go with 'sword of the arcane order build'

OK, let me put it another way: what spell lists and spell levels do you have access to? I don't want to waste time suggesting spells you can't cast.

Shinoskay
2023-05-09, 08:25 AM
OK, let me put it another way: what spell lists and spell levels do you have access to? I don't want to waste time suggesting spells you can't cast.

thats why I said sword of the arcane order build, I can do more then just what that accomplishes but for simplicity sake we can discuss within the bounds of what that can do. I can probably accomplish up to level 3 spells at this time.

noce
2023-05-09, 08:37 AM
You can't cast it personally without UMD, but it's still worth mentioning: Legend Lore explicitly says "it often provides enough information to help you find the person, place, or thing".
Still, you can pay a wizard or a cleric of a god of Knowledge to cast it for you, it's less than 1000gp either way.

Telonius
2023-05-09, 09:21 AM
Arcane Sight. If you have a general idea of where you were when you died, and you really only care about the magic items, it can at least help you zero in on any magic auras.

If the body's already been looted, take a mundane solution. Spread the word around that you're looking for a [unique item], and are willing to pay triple market price for it. Arrange a meeting, take the item, kill the looter if necessary.

If you want to take a slightly less evil solution, do the same, but have a friend meet the seller. Have him mention that ghosts will sometimes haunt people who take important items, if they've been cut down before their time; but that the hauntings stop if the items are returned. Disguise, Ghost Sound, a few other illusion spells, and hope there are no meddling kids.

ciopo
2023-05-09, 09:46 AM
your main issue you think locate object would have is the area you need to cover, right? What if you actually do simply phantom steed, then locate object and zoom around? supposedly the phantom steed would be a better speed than what you had while wandering the storm.

or maybe even a wind walk if you can source it somehow, then zoom around the area with locate object on, 600ft/round is quite beefy