PDA

View Full Version : Voldemort vs. Xykon

Eerie
2007-12-05, 04:22 PM
Seems like a fair match. Death Eaters possess an instant killing spells and many other goodies. However, they can`t kill Xykon, who essentially has a horcrux, and Xykon army is much bugger. Also, there is resurrection in OotS world, so Avada Kedavra is less of an issue...

What do you think?

Rare Pink Leech
2007-12-05, 04:59 PM
I'm going to give this one to Xykon. In the Harry Potter universe, offensive spells seem mostly limited to avada kedavra, at least in terms of directly harming or killing your opponent. Xkyon, on the other hand, has many, many offensive spells at his disposal, and being undead, avada kedavra in all likelihood wouldn't do anything to him. Neither would the spell that causes pain.

The battle would go down something like this: Voldemort sends an avada kedavra Xykon's way. It bounces harmlessly off Xykon, who laughs. Xkyon then casts disintegrate, and voila. The battle's over.

Don't forget, Xykon is an epic-level D&D caster. Epic level magic users are god-like in their power. While he's one of the most powerful wizards in the Harry Potter universe, Voldemort hasn't shown himself to be god-like through his spells. He may have found a way to evade death through the horcruxes, but Xykon is dead.

EvilElitest
2007-12-05, 06:54 PM
Hey, i mentioned this as an idea a while ago. Seems like a good idea, interesting match. I'll vote Xykon, but it is certianly interesting
from,
EE

Ditto
2007-12-05, 08:19 PM
Huge armies aren't the end of the world for Death Eaters. There are plenty of offensive things for HP wizards to do besides AK and the like, of which Fiendfyre let loose is the most fun.

Dimensional lock puts a not inconsiderable damper on HP's favorite fighting style, the Nightcrawler-dash of rapid apparition. D&D's toolkit it more limited by specifics and accessibility (caster level) than HP's, but it's obviously plenty broad. Its well-developed spells have rather clear interactions with many HP analogues.

Team Doom's few casters are rather limited by their spell slot limit, as is Xykon (eventually... not that it would probably come to that). They're also perfectly mortal and subject to AK.

That said, Xykon is a D&D character. He has access to Time Stop, Contingency, and hey - readied actions! The definition of this wonderful mechanic gives Xykon time for an immediate Disintigrate and a quickened Meteor Storm to the face a round or two after he's first attacked. Sucks to be Voldemort.

Kriel
2007-12-05, 09:38 PM
One other thing in Xykon's favor: his phylactery. Until that's destroyed, Xykon will not stay down even if Voldemort destroys his body.

Kjata
2007-12-05, 09:42 PM
One other thing in Xykon's favor: his phylactery. Until that's destroyed, Xykon will not stay down even if Voldemort destroys his body.

Yeah?
Voldy's got 7. And as we know, it takes a angsty teen hero to figure them out and destroy them. And that angsty teen, Larry Gardener, was killed by thog.

Lol jk. Xykon would totally own.

warty goblin
2007-12-05, 09:51 PM

True, also Xykon regenerates much much faster than Voldemort, in that a kill on Xykon might not be the end of the fight, it would on Voldemort, since it takes him a pretty long time to get all of his stuff back together.

RandomFellow
2007-12-05, 09:54 PM
Team Voldemort
- Everyone can effectively teleport and one-hit (no save) living characters.

Team Xykon
- Xykon can one-hit a small army (no save), say the size of all of Team Voldemort.

Without any Voldemort's friends left...how is he coming back? Exactly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seriously tho....a D&D epic-level lich caster is unkillable by the standards of what little I know about Harry Potter. (e.g. I don't think HP wizards can reach a demiplane. Xykon can just hide his lich on a private demiplane. Xykon wins by never losing. Eventually, either Team Voldemort dies of old age or Xykon wins by killing all of them.)

Green Bean
2007-12-05, 09:59 PM
Voldemort is a wizard. Xykon is a lich. Why kill Voldemort when you can paralyse him for all eternity?

Ditto
2007-12-05, 10:05 PM
One good killing is generally considered enough. Xykon's army is less than loyal, and if another BBEG said, "Look what I did!" I doubt they would continue a pitched fight.

Thankfully, AK is known to blast bits out of non-living matter now and again when it hits. Xykon may not have an auto-death to AK, but he's still very squishy. He's just a really buff skeleton, after all. HP magic has lots of ways to smash things. Wave a wand, "Splodos!", etc.

Xykon/D&D wizards can one-shot entire armies? I'd like to hear what the battle plan is for one-shotting mundane armies first, then step up to a few dozen rather capable magic users scattered all around you.

Rutee
2007-12-05, 10:23 PM
If Xykon has the benefit of Redcloak keeping his mind at least partially focussed on non-Gate things, then probably Xykon. But honestly, Xykon's character is such that I have difficulty believing he can properly apply himself to anything that isn't in pursuit of one of those Gates.. I don't think he could beat Voldy without Redcloak keeping him focussed, unless Voldy suddenly became integral to a Gate. Which he's not...

So hm. I guess the OP intends for a full match of all resources though, so.. Xykon. There's just too many available counters for HP stuff within DnD, if one prepares it.

Hey, maybe a surprise rush and rely on the fact that Xykon and Redcloak basically couldn't have known what their enemy could do? Teleport straight to them, final battle right there? I know it sounds like a crappy strategy, but if preparation will be the thing that locks the battle down, it seems to me it's in Voldy's interests to rush straight for the top and hope for the best. They /do/ have offensive, damaging magic, Avada Kadavra aside, after all. But, hm... Xykon does usually have the Thing Under The Umbrella near him, doesn't he? But then, if he's nto taking them seriously, he won't let it unveil itself.. blah! This is rough, and I don't think I know enough of OotS to properly rate it ;.;

RandomFellow
2007-12-06, 01:02 AM
Xykon/Epic D&D wizards can one-shot entire armies? I'd like to hear what the battle plan is for one-shotting mundane armies first, then step up to a few dozen rather capable magic users scattered all around you.

If not caught flat-footed. (Only assumption is a large spell list and Xykon isn't being ambushed in the first minute after prep'n spells.)

Step 1 - Contigency+Limited Wish at the start of the day - Favor of the Matryr on self
Step 2 - Celerity (if you lose init, otherwise save for later)
Step 3 - Time Stop
Step 4 - Dump delayed spells until last round of Time Stop.
Step 5 - Celerity
Step 6 - Repeat steps 3 through 5 until out of slots then Teleport to safe place and hunker down until you have your spells per day back.

Are you honestly telling me that Voldemort's Death Eaters would survive such a volume of spells? Especially when they can't even fight back while Xykon can go hide in an inaccessible place (e.g. Plane of Shadow)?

Xykon doesn't need an army. A high level spell caster is an army when dealing with people who can't access the caster's safe have.

For dealing with mundane army is basically the same...rinse and repeat until all dead. Xykon doesn't have anything he is forced to defend and is ageless therefore has no difficulties running away as often as necessary.

If you don't like my RAW interpretation...remove the Celerity part and have time stop, teleport, attack, teleport home. Works just as well, except slower due to higher spell slot usage to round ratio.

Maerok
2007-12-06, 01:08 AM
Eh, AK is essentially slay living with the visuals of disintegrate in DnD.

kpenguin
2007-12-06, 01:18 AM
Unfortunately, Xykon is a blaster, not a well-optimized batman.

I still say he wins, though.

Arioch
2007-12-06, 01:16 PM
Why does no one ever remember that the HP wizards have protego? I think Voldemort's (if he bothered to use it) could probably protect him from most magic.
And, since undead are non-living beings, the Reductor curse (the one Ginny's good at, other than the Bat-Bogey) would probably disintegrate one. And it can be used as many times as they like, with no limit on spells per day, or tiredness...

Ditto
2007-12-06, 01:52 PM
Xykon is level 20. Maybe 21 at this point. How many times can he cast Time Stop? Plus Delayed Blast thisandthats? It is a HUGE advantage, to be sure, but you can't use it to walk around all day and delayed-blast things to smithereens at your leisure. As far as killing Voldemort or any other particular Death Eater, that can be locked up pretty well. I wouldn't say he can nab all of them just-like-that. They're not really standing together... or anywhere near Xykon, necessarily. He's not moving around a supersonic speed, and Time Stop is only 30 seconds, tops.

Protego works as a pretty solid barrier, but it's a shield and not a bubble. Full points for ray deflection, not so much for cloudkill. (HP wizards can pull a ball o' stuff to surround them if necessary, but it's suboptimal for combat mobility.) The teleportation is more beneficial in this case, anyway.

purplearcanist
2007-12-06, 02:42 PM
Xykon wins by casting shatter on Voldemart's wand.