PDA

View Full Version : Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Razade
2023-05-12, 03:05 AM
Got my copy early. Haven't had a lot of time to get into it but the opening was pretty and I'm liking the Sky Islands from what I've seen. Pretty visually striking. Hope you're all enjoying, I'll be back once I've actually spent some time in the game.

Fiery Diamond
2023-05-13, 01:02 AM
I just finished the Great Sky Island. Took me like nine hours, partially because I went the wrong way at first by accident after speaking to the Zonai man whose name I shall not say because spoilers. Also partially because it's an open world Zelda game like BotW, and I was exploring, dangit. Definitely captures the Great Plateau energy - that sense of exploration combined with persistent mild frustration interspersed with moments of triumph and discovery, which is how I remember the Great Plateau being on my first playthrough of BotW. I was miffed that you don't get the paraglider while you're still on that Island, though. Means I have a reason to return there once I get the paraglider.

You head to the great land of Hyrule after completing the Great Sky Island, and I have to admit that I was surprised by what I found. I don't know why I expected the surface world to be basically the same with new features and landmarks plonked down on it, but it's certainly not that. The starting area is different enough that you have to squint really hard to make out the similarities... though I suppose that's helped along by the fact that it's in one of the places that I didn't spend a lot of time in BotW.

Also, I have to wonder how Purah aged herself back up to adulthood. I'm not very far past landing in Hyrule yet, but I'm getting the impression that Link was out of commission after the opening scenes for a good while - though not exactly how long that time frame actually is. Also, I'm wondering how long it's been in universe between BotW and TotK. Given how Link and Zelda don't look significantly older, I'm guessing it couldn't have been more than a few years.

Korok seed hunting is as annoying as ever. Hopefully when I find our maraca-shaking korok friend the cost of expanding inventory won't scale too quickly. I'm a shameless cheater, though - when I finish exploring an area, I look online to see where the korok seeds I missed are. I don't think anyone has a guide for places other than the Great Sky Island korok locations yet, though. I actually managed to find more than half of them (assuming the guide I found is comprehensive) on my own, which surprised me. I'm not a very detail-oriented person, so I tend to overlook stuff even when I'm actively searching for it.

All things considered, I'm very much looking forward to continuing to play. But it's 2 AM where I am, I didn't get enough sleep last night, and I have to work tomorrow, so I need to go to bed. I will be back to post my thoughts in the future.

ben-zayb
2023-05-13, 05:40 AM
Feels bad that I didn't get the Collector's Ed, but at least our local stores sell the game much cheaper (converts to ~50USD compared to Nintendo's 70USD). I feel like I'm doing something wrong in the starting area, but we'll see...

Quizatzhaderac
2023-05-13, 04:23 PM
Just got the paraglider and I'm about to head out into the wider world.

Still deciding how I feel about the the new abilities. The ultrahand seems like it would be a whole game by itself. I keep wanting to call it the "godhand", which I don't think is too big of an exaggeration.

My biggest annoyance so far is that the maps are 2D and they sent my looking for a dot of the map that corresponded to five different vertical layers, two of which I hadn't been to yet.

Pants remain an aspiration. I'm sure I'll eventually get enough money.

Yuki Akuma
2023-05-13, 04:36 PM
My biggest annoyance so far is that the maps are 2D and they sent my looking for a dot of the map that corresponded to five different vertical layers, two of which I hadn't been to yet.

If you hover your cursor over the dot, it'll tell you what floor it's on! :smallsmile:

Quizatzhaderac
2023-05-16, 12:46 PM
Advanced further, have progressed from boxers to man-skirt to actual pants. Fancy pants are one of my future goals..

Focusing mainly on expanding my map. The (surface) map is the same in a big picture sense but some of the paths and most of the dangers have been moved around, and the people are all doing different stuff.

Construction is definitely a skill one needs to develop in this game.

So far I've reached the Rito village, Karakoto village, and the Goron village. Just arrived at the dungeon near the Gorons when I finished playing.

The yiga are back and more subtle than before.

I'm also trying to see if I can place the ancient events in a consistent timeline with the other games. Particularly if it is before or after skyward sword. And relately is the villan is Gannon, Demise, or someone new. The tears visions seem to be placing the ancient events as an alternate version of ocarina of time; the Kingdom is new and Gannon is still a just a man.

If the villain is demise, that would put is before skyward sword and everyone moving into the sky. Except in skyward sword, everyone is pretty clearly Hilian, not Zoni.

If you hover your cursor over the dot, it'll tell you what floor it's on! :smallsmile:
That's only in the dungeons. I was referring to the last shrine in the starting area.