PDA

View Full Version : Solstice OOC

taleweaver555
2023-05-12, 11:12 AM
Recruitment Thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?656194-Player-driven-solo-game) ✸ OOC Thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?656390-Solstice-OOC) ✸ IC Thread

Welcome, WindStruck. Let's continue here.

✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸

tell me about your character

Solstice is a Fae, a Sidhe. But she is a very young one. If you have heard tales of fairies kidnapping or bargaining for children, she was one such child. Traded away as an infant from two foolish parents, who were powerful wizards themselves, she was raised by her Sidhe mother. Taken at such an impossibly early age, her mind and body were molded into the perfect daughter. Solstice effectively became completely Fae, though she was never given The Choice; the spark of a soul still remains.

Life at first was blissful and idyllic, and Solstice learned much of magic, Faerie politics, and the Nevernever. But nothing is free, and as she came of age, she came to the realization - and accepts - that she actually owes a great deal to her mother. And if she ever expects to be considered an independent adult, her debt must be paid in full.

what kind of person they are

Honest to a fault. Loyal to her friends and loved ones. Though she is utterly naive about the "real" world, and timid. She is somewhat small, lacks strength, and is not very graceful either. More mentally-oriented, not physical. She appears to be merely thirteen or fourteen. Her actual age is 26.

what their motivations / specific goals are

Solstice would like to continue with her studies and one day have her own little demesne in Faerie. But none of this is free, and all of it has costs. In addition, there is the ginormous debt to her mother that she must pay, though that is fairly hard when living under her. She must go on quests and perform numerous errands to get where she wants to be.

what kind of setting you see them in

The world of Faerie is the Fae's home domain, closest to the "real" Earth. It's a splendidly beautiful and wondrous place, ruled over by two Fae courts and with a host of other supernatural denizens. Moreover, it is effectively infinite. However, the "further" away from Earth you get, the stranger things become, until at some point one may reach an infinite expanse of walls, beyond which, are things no mind is meant to see or comprehend.

Euclidian geometry invariably fails at long distances, and sometimes even at short distances. It may be possible to stumble upon strange and fantastical places that curve in on themselves and also lead to places one should never go.

And then, there is our modern day Earth, which may be traversed to and fro by using The Ways, or perhaps slicing directly through The Veil and creating your own portal from Earth to the Nevernever. Modern day Earth is about as dull or as interesting as expected, with its own disasters and geopolitical turmoil one might predict, however, we throw in the hidden allure of fantasy: monsters like werewolves, vampires, sasquatches, etcs. And there are cabals of wizards, warlocks, and those blessed with the gift of the Divine.

(Again, if you are familiar with the Dresden Files books, it helps)

what the story will be about, in a sentence

It's another sultry day at home, until Solstice is tasked with an errand to make for the Summer Court, where she must deliver an important missive...

tell me about mechanics: system, supernatural abilities you want, items you start with, (level? class? race?)

The system would either be FATE or freeform I guess. It's been a long time since I have even tried to play FATE, so I feel I have to relearn it all over again. Actually, I would prefer freeform, but we could always fall back onto a game system and dice rolling should the result of an action be contested, a coin toss, or otherwise made more interesting with randomness.

Items are not much:
- A wand with feathers, and some thin, ornate bangles - spell casting foci
- A small satchel for holding things
- Gossamer silk robes, which provide no warmth and a modicum of modesty - enhances beauty

Supernatural Abilities: Rituals, evocations, and glamours. The Sight. Extra toughness with a supernatural body. Vulnerable to iron.
Common rotes I believe I have used before are:
Soul Arrow - deals mind damage
Searing Ray - deals fire damage - could even melt metals
Blissful Touch - causes pleasure to course through the target
Force Shield - deflects projectiles, blocks attacks

Basic Physics and Cosmology

So, the region Solstice lives in is Faerie. I've already spoken about it broadly in my first post. As a recap, it's still all technically an infinite expanse in the spirit world, though the areas "closest" to Earth are called Faerie. By "closest" I mean they are similar to Earth in many ways, and some places could be a 1 for 1 mirror.

I believe that pretty much everything in the Nevernever is made of ectoplasm. Being on its home plane, however, it acts a lot like normal matter on Earth. You'll find that so many things here wind up mimicking objects and phenomena in real life. But the further one tries to look into the physics and chemistry of the world, the more the science breaks down. However, the craft of 'alchemy' is a craft that is respected. It is the closest thing to science, and can still produce some legendary effects, like transmuting lead into gold.. though of course, this only works on matter native to the Nevernever.. and gold isn't nearly as valuable.

Most everything in the Nevernever is governed by the laws of magic and manipulated by belief and will. And thus magic is widely practiced to such an extent that for many beings it is second nature. Some of these beings have lived for centuries, millennia, or longer. And so, producing powerful spell effects with one practiced motion and little expended effort may be common place.. at least among those denizens who have accumulated power. In comparison: Solstice is just a babe compared to them. Harry Dresden, a grown man, was often called a "child". Both are effectively mortal spell casters with a very limited pool of mental strength and stamina.. and the use of spell casting foci is a lot like training wheels.

Direction is also a curious concept, in that in closed spaces and small distances, we usually have euclidean geometry working properly. Essentially, what you can see and feel is usually locked into place, by that very same sense of belief and will. However, over long distances, or when breaking line of sight, directions can often become wonky. (Think of it like that Silent Hill PT game where rooms and hallways change as you loop around them or turn away, or other procedurally-generated games with 3d spaces that would otherwise overlap onto each other.) In order to travel long distances in the Nevernever, one generally thinks of a concept they are moving towards and lets intuition guide them.

Faerie Politics and Denizens

As said before, the Nevernever is effectively infinite, but the domain of Faerie is closest to Earth, and usually among the choicest spots. There are mainly two courts: the Summer Court and Winter Court. The Summer Court's ideals are more aligned with nurturing and protecting all life. The Winter Court, while often considered more cruel by mortals, focuses upon that inevitable end of all life: the culling winter that comes, and the embrace of sleep that follows.

The Faerie courts are diametrically opposed and at odds with each other, though they are not in an all-out war. There is always an ever-shifting balance between their two sides, which reflect the changing seasons of Earth. Skirmishes happen, though rarely lethal. It is as much a complex dance as it is a game.

Each Court is ruled by a Queen, and their heir is a Lady. For example, the Summer Queen is Titania, and her "daughter" or heir/princess is Summer Lady Aurora. There are also predecessors with no names, simply referred to as Mother Winter and Mother Summer. Perhaps infinitely more powerful still, they are rarely ever seen, and keep to themselves, perhaps dispensing cryptic advice when requested.

Below the Queen and Lady are nobility of the courts. Much like in a feudal system where the king divvies up land to subordinates, who then divide that up further to their subordinates, with dukes and duchesses, marquees, earls, viscounts, and barons. There is a strict hierarchy, a pecking order if you will, where the will of others is quashed for the sake of their superiors or the good of their court as a whole. To disobey one's superior is a grave offense that ends in dire consequences.. possibly even death. But thankfully, these positions are not set in stone. The main currencies are favors, knowledge, and debt. The challenge for a title is taken seriously, but honored if successful.

Between it all are the Wyldfae, who are not affiliated with any court. Typically these beings are weaker, many of whom are goblins and pixies, and they are content to be in their state just living in the moment. There are other stronger beings who are considered Wyldfae, up to and including the Erlking, who is said to be about as strong as a Summer or Winter Queen. The Erlking is the manifested spirit of hunting and primal violence.

There are hosts of other "fantasy" beings in the Nevernever, from dwarves and elves, trolls and orcs, to kelpies and hags. Generally, if you can think of it or refer to it in some ancient folklore, it probably exists there. Though an exception is vampires and werewolves, who mainly live on Earth instead, amongst the other humans.

Solstice's Home - Where does she fit into all of this?

Solstice lives with/under her mother. Her mother goes by many names and titles, though a better known alias is Ammora the Matchmaker. She is a marchioness with lands secured well within Summer territory - thus it is always warm.

The home Solstice grew up in is a modest manor with several bedrooms, an expansive library, an open-air common area with a quaint medieval kitchen.. and a creepy basement. The front of the home exits to a large swath of tropical beach and ocean. If you walk far enough along the beach, you will come upon jungles. A side exit of the home will take you to an expansive garden and some hedge mazes. It is idyllic and well-tended. Beyond its stone walls are grasslands and forests. Behind the home, it opens up into a seemingly endless expanse of prairie, and as you go further, gentle hills begin to form. Horses, cows, and other equine animals may be found here, and sometimes centaurs. Despite the complete change in scenery and climates, this is all typical Faerie directions/physics, and it isn't even given a second thought by Solstice.

Numerous brownie servants maintain this area, in and around the home. If Ammora was a noble, and Solstice was her daughter, she is therefore a child of that nobility, and the brownies are much like servants and butlers, acquiescing to her requests.

Solstice spent a large amount of her time here. Often she was made to study, or practice her magical abilities, and sometimes even given a lesson in fields like alchemy or astrology. Sometimes, she had been taken on trips outside her home with her mother, to various places. She has definitely visited the Summer Court several times, and been to Earth at least once.

Solstice has also become friends with some pixies, much to her mother's disappointment. While it seemed they were best of friends when she was younger, now she has outgrown them somewhat. She still values them as friends, but their childish antics may often get her into trouble.

In recent times, these days Solstice finds herself lazing about her home, with what feels like endless amounts of reading to do. If the mind is like a muscle that grows stronger with use, hers is quite powerful.. and yet, she feels exhausted and burnt out. She is falling behind, taking walks and doing other things to distract herself, and napping far more often.

Solstice's goals and missions: basically, she's still living under her mother as a dependent (for lack of better words), but she is of age where she is responsible for her actions and repaying anything given to her. So she is in a lot of debt with her mother, and pretty much always needs to do things to work that off.

However: Solstice being in Ammora's debt is considered quite advantageous. She effectively always has an underling under her thumb. And, if Solstice keeps accepting aid and tutelage... she will only continue to grow stronger, and yet, be subservient. Absolutely delicious.

Unseelie Accords (https://dresdenfiles.fandom.com/wiki/Unseelie_Accords)

Laws of Hospitality (https://dresdenfiles.fandom.com/wiki/Laws_of_hospitality)

There's also something called Winter Law (https://dresdenfiles.fandom.com/wiki/Winter_Law), which I don't know all the details of.. what I do know relates to the practice of taking/handling prisoners, and it specifically refers to Queen Mab's court. I could only imagine there is a Summer Law too.

These are very useful links with some info dumps on what sort of traditions the Fae follow and how they operate. And more hyperlinks within should anything else catch your fancy.

One thing about Fae is that they must never tell lies. It's.. just about, psychologically and physically impossible for them to do so, but they may of course twist words, or speak with an intent or meaning that may not be immediately obvious.

As for Solstice, who grew up with this culture and environment, she feels much the same way, but because of her human origins (and relative youth), she may sometimes contemplate the idea of lying, but find it extremely shameful and abhorrent.

Another topic I forgot to mention is technology level. Yep, in Faerie, it's all pretty much your bog standard medieval fantasy. There is not much in the ways of technology, due to the fact that magic is relied upon far more instead. Why worry about farming techniques, irrigation, and harvesters, if you can just conjure up a feast? Technology also tends to break down, even if it was brought over. The best sort of things you could hope for may be like other stuff you have read or seen from the Harry Potter series.

As for allies...

There could be a number of servants or other denizens who owe Ammora some favors.

And perhaps there are some "friends". Perhaps a better word may be peers? People who are roughly at her rank in the Summer Court, whom she has amiable relations with. Technically, all in the Summer Court should be allies, as they are united against the Winter Court and gotta keep those those rascally Wyldfae in check, but there may be some rivals and competition as well.

Enemies:

Basically anyone in the Winter Court. It could be that Ammora is responsible for overseeing the defense of certain areas in Faerie, or perhaps managing the offenses too, in their endless struggles. Perhaps she has a Winter counterpart, a noble in the Winter Court who has pretty much the same job and mirrors her positions? I remember the conflict described as an intricate and intense game of chess, which always went back and forth.

Competition and "friendly" rivalries. Those Fae who are on the same side as Ammora, but who would undermine her or seek to replace her, taking her power and prestige for themselves.

Another Wyldfae who has antagonized her one way or another, and evaded reprisal? Could be a clever and likeable sort still.. or perhaps a complete monster.

And then we could always take elements from the real world as well. Has she crossed paths (or swords) with a snarky, belligerent wizard that doesn't know his place? I always thought it would be interesting for someone like Solstice to meet Harry Dresden or a person like him.

There could always be mortal interlopers as well. And Vampires, I know they have their own courts too, and I am sure they have relations with the Faerie Courts. There are always interesting dynamics here, working as an emissary between these groups and exploring them.

Now I do know you said the game will take place in Faerie, but I do think you may want to consider having reasons to take a jaunt over to the real world. There are, of course, reasons to do so, be it for intelligence, peoples, or other resources.

the Winter and Summer courts are at odds with each other and have skirmishes, however, on the higher levels, they have their own political intrigue. Sometimes for a particularly important event, an emissary from one court or another is invited. The laws of hospitality obviously apply, and in such events, it's usually an opportunity to show off or trade subtle verbal barbs.

There are also some endeavors they do collaborate on such as.. you remember those walls I described earlier that's pretty much the boundary of this universe? They both defend them together, typically with Winter Fae as soldiers and Summer Fae as healers.

WindStruck
2023-05-12, 11:42 AM
Thanks for choosing me! I'm excited for this!

I think I should also write a small blurb on Ammora, Solstice's mother. Or "mother"? I feel both would be offended if it was in quotes though. :smallbiggrin:

So, Ammora is more known for her ability to bring lovers together. For instance, one person has a crush on someone else, helps arrange things such that they fall in love, or could be something more like a love potion. Also related, helping two lovers come together and escape circumstances that keep them apart, helping find one's "soul mate"... I think you get the gist of it?

Again, this is only the primary way she has acquired power and resources. It's also how she got Solstice. She is still perfectly able to weave spells and bargains dealing with other subjects. But it's just her specialty.

Open for more discussion or changes if necessary!

Ah, one RPing tip: Seeing as the Fae never lie, they are also very deliberate with wording. For instance, one wouldn't say something like, "I'm so hungry I could eat a horse," unless.. well.. I think you get the idea.

And on the subject of iron! Not that I would expect for the subject to come up seeing as this game is centered in the Nevernever, but it is extremely dangerous and harmful to Fae and their world. If you were to carelessly leave a cast iron pan there, for instance, that would be equivalent to dumping nuclear waste in someone's home, backyard, park, etc. Probably even more so, as it would degrade and destroy its surroundings.

..not to the point of being like grey goo or a black hole. That would be completely unworkable. Let's just say, for instance.. if set on the ground, it chars and burns, becoming completely inert. Once the iron is removed, it's still like that. Nothing can grow on it, it can't be manipulated via magic.. and eventually just crumbles to dust (which completely dissipates over time).

taleweaver555
2023-05-14, 04:38 PM
Having some rough days, but Tuesday's gonna be easier.

WindStruck
2023-05-15, 03:22 PM
Ok, hopefully we can get this off the ground. :smallsmile:

taleweaver555
2023-05-16, 03:36 PM
Seeing as the Fae never lie, they are also very deliberate with wording. For instance, one wouldn't say something like, "I'm so hungry I could eat a horse," unless.. well.. I think you get the idea.
That's going to be very challenging but very intriguing as well :)

I know about iron, and it's generally not present, but a good plot hook because of the drama inherent in it. I have ideas involving it :smallbiggrin:

So, the creepy basement ... how much does Soltice know about it, how much experience does she have with it?

I absolutely need an identical twins goblin siblings wearing copper-wire glasses and tuxedo. One is an expert on poetry, the other is on gastronomy. Each has a thick, leather-bound worn book, each opens it in the middle every time, and it always shows whatever they were looking for, but they never open the books before at least half an hour of heated debate.

And an incredibly ugly fencing master who hates the Maverron family for the curse he has, although the Maverron family members always respond with You have no idea, darling. to all accusations.

Is Solctice good with swords?

WindStruck
2023-05-16, 04:47 PM
So, the creepy basement ... how much does Soltice know about it, how much experience does she have with it?
She has been down there a few times with her mother. There's a set of stairs that go down in a squarish U shape, and the environment quickly gets darker and more dreary. Below that landing it opens into another room, which branches off into yet a few more rooms. This area has just a few small high windows, and it's usually rainy or overcast outside. Almost seems to be the basement of a castle or something.

Down here, rooms adjacent to the stairs up are like storage rooms. Usually a bit dusty, as the brownies don't come down beyond this point, where you might find some mysterious odds and ends, forbidden tomes, rare reagents.. and an actual summoning circle, like a copper ring I think.

There are two more doors on the far ends of that room which Solstice has not been in, and has been warned not to open. They are heavily warded. Unknown to Solstice, these doors open off into even creepier and dangerous infinite liminal spaces. They can wind up taking routes nearly anywhere. But just about anything could be lurking too.

The door on the right would appear to take you to something like an infinite hotel hallway. The door on the left something similar, but it's a massive quadruple helix stairwell with doors all along its sides at regular intervals and a massive chasm going upward and downward in the middle.

I absolutely need an identical twins goblin siblings wearing copper-wire glasses and tuxedo. One is an expert on poetry, the other is on gastronomy. Each has a thick, leather-bound worn book, each opens it in the middle every time, and it always shows whatever they were looking for, but they never open the books before at least half an hour of heated debate.
Hah. And who are they? Given the dress they almost seem like servants and/or tutors. Either way, sound like fun and interesting characters.

And an incredibly ugly fencing master who hates the Maverron family for the curse he has, although the Maverron family members always respond with You have no idea, darling. to all accusations.

Is Solctice good with swords?
Uh, so who is the Maverron family? Yes, I have no idea, darling?! Tried looking that up.. is it related to the Black Court? Is this fencing master a friend or foe?

And no, Solstice isn't any good with swords. At least, not for the time being. I suppose more martial pursuits of study may come eventually. Got to be prepared for warring, after all! :smalltongue: Though I'm reluctant to be getting heavily into that (martial studies) for the time being.

= = =

Oh, there's one other thing I should probably mention. Something about True Names. Everyone has those. And perhaps as you might have guessed, Solstice is just a moniker she commonly goes by. Let me know if you ever need to know her True Name...

taleweaver555
2023-05-19, 02:52 PM
The goblin twins can be tutors, but I have the feeling they are more like trusted allies than servants, although I also have the feeling that Nothing's free. is just as much true for the Fae as for humans. Probably more true.

The fencing master is on lease for Ammora from a connected family. So, he's more of a trophy than a tutor, but functions as one for the family.

The Maverron family has weird ties to the Winter Court, but officially part of the Summer Court.

And I made all three up on the spot, they just popped out of my mind.

WindStruck
2023-05-19, 08:20 PM
Oh, I see. Well it all sounds interesting. Will we be starting soon or do you need something else?

taleweaver555
2023-05-20, 01:34 AM
Actually, I've fallen back into traditional mode of GM tries to define mostly everything inadvertantly, but that's what I want to get away from.

To throw the ball back at you, do you need anything else to tell me how to start the story?

WindStruck
2023-05-20, 02:24 AM
I don't think I need anything else.

We should have a decent idea of what Solstice is like, and what her life is like. If you do have any more questions let me know. Since this is more player driven, I guess I have to tell you what I want though...

Solstice is given an important task to do, either by her mother directly or via any of her servants. It should be fairly important (maybe or maybe not urgent) and could have to do with any faction, or entity.. I just want it to be a surprise, and perhaps it turns out to be not so simple. I'd just like it to be somewhere between Fetch Quest (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FetchQuest) and Saving the World (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SavingTheWorld).

As a reward, Solstice gets... nothing. Just a sliver of her debt is paid off to her mother, and perhaps, she will get a genuinely warm smile or a hug again. In private. Don't embarrass her in front of her friends! :smalltongue:

She's in an awkward position in those "teenage years" (which might last centuries for a Fae like her, I don't know) where you feel trapped and stressed. It's gone from fun and relaxation and learning to stress and working and more learning. From coddling to coercion. Now her mother can often seem cold as she exercises some "tough love" to show her the ropes of being Fae.. Solstice would like to feel some love and appreciation again, though she may not deserve it.

Ah, about debt complexities: let's say Solstice is asked to do something for Bob the Boreal. Even if she gets whatever that is done, it's not like Bob owes her a favor. The situation would be more like Bob will owe Solstice's mother a favor now, or perhaps her mother used to owe something to Bob, and now this debt is tidied away. Whatever happens (unless I'm being an entrepreneur and want to start my own little side hustle), Solstice is the intermediary.

WindStruck
2023-05-20, 03:46 AM
Oh, it did occur to me. I'm currently lacking a character sheet. Will we need that, or do you want to just go more freeform?

I also didn't do any in depth description. Probably not necessary, but it'll let the imagination visualize her better.

Description:

Solstice appears to be thirteen or fourteen. Some may be generous and call her a young woman, others may simply think her a child. Her body is slender and looks delicate. She has fair skin and flawless features, a perfect and otherworldly beauty which would be captivating to mortals, but rather commonplace among Sidhe. Her hair is long and red/orange, like the color of carrots, with a slight curl to it. Her hair typically drapes unimpeded down to her hips, unstyled and unrestrained. Her eyes are emerald green with cat-like pupils.

The robes Solstice wears are of gossamer silk and quite comfortable, often times feeling like wearing nothing at all. There is delicate embroidery all around them, of leaves and flowers, grass and vines and thorns. It enfolds around her entire body from about mid-calf, to just before her wrists with somewhat billowing sleeves, and below her neck in a V shape. She wears no shoes. Typically this is what she wears all the time unless there is a special occasion/need for something else. Simple, beautiful, elegant, yet symbolic of having nothing to her name.

Note:

That is just her standard appearance. Glamours could be used to change her appearance into just about anything. Though with story and events taking place in the Nevernever, there is probably little use for them. She won't fool any Fae, and they won't be impressed.