PDA

View Full Version : Seeing without eyes in 3.5e

Nesto
2023-05-12, 08:34 PM
Hey so I wondered if there was any spell (preferably on the sor/wiz list) that would let you see if you say we’re polymorphed into a creature without eyes. I’m not talking about blindsight or tremorsense, I mean straight up eyesight.

My first thought was to check Vision of the Omnicient Eye from Dragon Magic since it says you can see just fine even if you are blinded or dazzled but I’m not sure if not having eyes counts as having the blinded condition… Wait would someone whose eyes have been removed count as having the blinded condition permanently? But would VotOE work and are there other solutions that might work better?

Doctor Despair
2023-05-12, 08:35 PM
Chain of Eyes on your familiar or party member.

Nesto
2023-05-12, 08:44 PM
Chain of Eyes on your familiar or party member.

Forgot about that spell, good point.

Vaern
2023-05-12, 09:47 PM
Arcane Eye creates a magic sensor that allows you to see through it as if you were actually at its location, but you'll have to cast it before you polymorph into a blind creature (creates a sensor at a point in range that you can see, so the spell would probably fizzle if you cast while blind).

Clairvoyance creates a sensor that you can see through. This option does not require line of sight, only that the locale be known, so you can cast it while in your blind form. It doesn't move, so you can't use it to see just like normal; but, you could cast it into the air directly above you for a bird's eye view of the battlefield. This option also doesn't say that it requires concentration to see through the sensor, so you may be able to use it without eating up the majority of your action economy in the process.

True Seeing says that it "confers on the subject the ability to see all things as they actually are." It never says that it confers no benefit to a creature that is unable to see, so presumably a blind creature could still gain all of the listed benefits.
True seeing allows you to see in normal and magical darkness, see invisible creatures and objects, see the true form of polymorphed or transmuted creatures and objects, and see through all illusions, so presumably you'd be able to see all of these things normally.
The spell does not, however, grant you the ability to see in conditions where normal vision is not hindered, such as the ability to see in broad daylight, the ability to see creatures or objects that are not hidden or disguised by illusions, or the ability to see creatures or objects whose forms have not been altered by transmutation.

Chronos
2023-05-13, 06:57 AM
Note also that there are some creatures without eyes that still manage to somehow see normally, such as skeletons.

Anthrowhale
2023-05-13, 09:33 AM
That art Thou is not a wizard spell but plausibly allows you to see if anyone within 30' can see.

ShurikVch
2023-05-13, 10:08 AM
Forest Eyes?

Prying Eyes?

Wall of Eyes?

Synesthete (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/synesthete.htm)?