PDA

View Full Version : (Insert noun) of holding.

TundraGlutton
2023-05-16, 09:08 PM
Just random thought and curiosity to know if it would work raw or should I just run with it.

Anyway, I was told my character would most likely hide stuff in his beard and this got me thinking.

Is it possible to have a beard of holding?
Is it possible to enchant the very strands themselves? Or would it be a chin of holding with a scruffy cover?

Then I looked up bag of holding itself, that lead me to "secret chest" spell. Which states that a chest is the target. Using the words as used in the description of the spell is it possible to "craft" a chisled chest of a person and cast the spell on this Adonis like character?
If yes, is the world(s) of D&D full of magical girls and boys with hammerspace?

And does any of this make sense in the realm of D&D?

Please tell me so I can present this info to my GM and potentially obtain it for my character if plausible.

Fero
2023-05-16, 10:29 PM
I think you could probably argue for some sort of magic tattoo or something localized to your body. I will note that the Lurk power Dimensional Pocket already creates a hammer space like effect, as does the spell Hoard Gullet.

SangoProduction
2023-05-16, 11:38 PM
Just random thought and curiosity to know if it would work raw or should I just run with it.

Anyway, I was told my character would most likely hide stuff in his beard and this got me thinking.

Is it possible to have a beard of holding?
Is it possible to enchant the very strands themselves? Or would it be a chin of holding with a scruffy cover?

Then I looked up bag of holding itself, that lead me to "secret chest" spell. Which states that a chest is the target. Using the words as used in the description of the spell is it possible to "craft" a chisled chest of a person and cast the spell on this Adonis like character?
If yes, is the world(s) of D&D full of magical girls and boys with hammerspace?

And does any of this make sense in the realm of D&D?

Please tell me so I can present this info to my GM and potentially obtain it for my character if plausible.

Yeah, you'll be surprised with the ideas people came up with. I've actually seen a lot of relatively neat hammer space ideas in anime. (And a billion more generic "inventory" systems.)
And I would say that "chests of holding" was already a thing irl, if I didn't think someone would start yelling at me. Wait. Ah well.
In D&D specifically... yes. Unless the particular setting has something going fuwey with extradimensional stuff. I've actually run a few of those, where the players are heroes to save the collapsing planes.

AnonJr
2023-05-17, 08:17 AM
Dragon 352 had a Warforged component called a "Camouflaged Compartment" that added an extradimensional space to a warforged's chest, or torso, or upper leg. Might be something to model on, or add to a warforged graft.

Crake
2023-05-17, 08:57 AM
If it's a part of you, then it's a special ability. This could be a refluffed nomad psion's personal hole for example.

If you want to make it an enchantment, then it wouldn't be the beard itself, but something that goes on/in the beard, like some kinds of ornaments, ties etc.

Crichton
2023-05-17, 10:12 AM
Dragon #313 (page 56) has the Dimensional Pocket, which is essentially a Type 3 Bag of Holding in the form of a pocket, that you can stick to your skin or clothing via a command word and then becomes an invisible pocket to access the extradimensional space. 9000gp

Bohandas
2023-05-17, 10:24 AM
If it's a part of you, then it's a special ability. This could be a refluffed nomad psion's personal hole for example.

That's probably not the best way of phrasing that :p

Gruftzwerg
2023-05-17, 10:46 AM
I second Hoard Gullet. Just ask your DM to refluff it to your beard instead of your stomach (while keeping the same size limitations).

If custom magic items are on the table, it shouldn't cost that much since the base is a 1st lvl spell.

Vaern
2023-05-17, 06:48 PM
I second Hoard Gullet. Just ask your DM to refluff it to your beard instead of your stomach (while keeping the same size limitations).

If custom magic items are on the table, it shouldn't cost that much since the base is a 1st lvl spell.

Hoard Gullet comes with this slightly inconvenient limitation:

You can't remove individual items from your hoard gullet, but as a full-round action, you can expel its entire contents into your square.

Bearing in mind that an item doesn't need to precisely emulate the spell that's being used to create it, you could always just strike that limitation from the item's description.

Anyway, at CL 1 that'd cost 2k (spell level 1 x CL 1 x 2000, 1 hour/level = no multiplier for duration) for 100 lb or 10 cu ft. It'd be the same cost as a handy haversack for just a little bit less storage space, though I'd assume it'd be weightless and grafted to your chin.
At higher caster levels, though, the cost greatly outweighs the increased capacity and makes it much less efficient than other storage items. Past CL 1 or 2, you might as well go for the Dimensional Pocket that Crichton mentioned and stick that in your beard.

TundraGlutton
2023-05-17, 07:35 PM
Thanks everyone. All of that was super helpful.

Now to see what my GM is willing to allow.
But the thought of a character casting secret chest on their pecs still makes me chuckle.

Jay R
2023-05-18, 01:17 PM
But the thought of a character casting secret chest on their pecs still makes me chuckle.

Well, that is the character's chest, after all.

AnonJr
2023-05-20, 09:18 AM

If you want to make it an enchantment, then it wouldn't be the beard itself, but something that goes on/in the beard, like some kinds of ornaments, ties etc.

I was thinking less of on the person itself, and more on the armour, a greave, or some other bit of equipment for a living character.