PDA

View Full Version : Ancalagon vs Deathwing

Executor
2007-12-05, 06:38 PM
This is a thought that sprung up in my mind while thinking of LOTR Dragons vs Warcraft Dragons. In this, I will pit two great scourges of Middle-earth and Azeroth against each other.

http://images.elfwood.com/art/s/e/seamoan/the_mariner_from_the_silmarillion_2b.jpg.rZd.68003 .jpg
This is Ancalagon the Black, the mightiest dragon of Middle-earth. He was the last of Morgoth's great beasts, and was so powerful that he drove back a host of Gods and their god-like allies. When he was finally slain, he destroyed a small mountain range with his fall. Like all dragons of Middle-earth, had had enormous strength, size and intellect. We don't really get his cunning described for us in The Silmarillion, but I think it's safe to assume he's about as smart as Glaurung, the Father of Dragons. His dragonfire is also described as being hot enough to consume Great Rings, though not the One.

http://www.wowwiki.com/images/8/8b/Deathwing.jpg
And this is his opponent, Neltharion the Earth-Warder, now known as Deathwing the Destroyer. His breath, like the rest of the Black Dragonflight, is a cannon of lava, and he can live within volcanos and high temperature areas. Like Ancalagon, Deathwing is a being of enormous size, cunning and power. He also has the ability of shapeshifting on his side.

So, who wins, Ancalagon or Deathwing?

EvilElitest
2007-12-05, 06:42 PM
stop, quickly change the title, to the greatest middle earth dragon vs. Deathwing

Smaug is an adverage dragon, Deathwing is a god

use LOTRS greatest dragon and it is a more fair fight (what was his name, Acaclard the black or something like that
from,
EE

Executor
2007-12-05, 06:53 PM
There, changed. I just though Smaug was more well known.

EvilElitest
2007-12-05, 06:57 PM
There, changed. I just though Smaug was more well known.

yeah but ancalagon is more powerful

Sweet, thanks

does death wing get the dragon/demon soul. Because if so, then Ancalagon is screwed
If not, then this is a bit more fair
oh, and when are you coming back to the LK vs. Sauron thread, you created it, you should see the results
from,
EE

factotum
2007-12-06, 03:40 AM
Well, it seems that Ancalagon's main power is his fiery breath, which you say Deathwing is immune to...could edge it for the warped black dragon!

EvilElitest
2007-12-06, 09:53 AM
Well, it seems that Ancalagon's main power is his fiery breath, which you say Deathwing is immune to...could edge it for the warped black dragon!

Ancalagon has a massive size and strength advantage however. I haven't chosen a side yet, just wanted to point that out
from,
EE

Saithis Bladewing
2007-12-06, 09:56 AM
With the demon soul, I give it to Neltharion, without it, I think it's probably neck-and-neck. Deathwing's armour probably won't help much against the artifact-consuming flames of Ancalagon, and neither is likely to be particularly affected by the other's flames.

Both are god-imbued creatures of immense evil and power. I don't see either one pulling out on top, honestly.

warty goblin
2007-12-06, 10:41 AM
They go on the "Fire up the World Tour" together, have a series of magnificent show during which people jump up and down and dance like they are on fire- because they are. Eventually, after the "glacier incident" they split due to "creative differences" and each launches a solo carrier. Their carriers slowly spiral downwards like the wreckage of a burning zepplin. At last however the reunite for the "World Burning" tour together, which is "the hottest show on the planet (Rolling Stone)" The tour only stops when every major city has hosted it and shortly thereafter, reduced to ashes.

The two go into temporary retirement on seperate mountain tops and sleep on their massive piles of loot, although they remain in close contact. Every few hundred years, when humans have built suitably large cities, they lauch another "The fire never dies" revival tour.

Mikeavelli
2007-12-06, 11:43 AM
Dude, I took down Deathwing in Beyond the Dark Portal with a Griffon Rider hero and a handful of Archers.

Dude is Weak Sauce. Ancalgon by a mile.

Rutee
2007-12-06, 01:13 PM
With the demon soul, I give it to Neltharion, without it, I think it's probably neck-and-neck. Deathwing's armour probably won't help much against the artifact-consuming flames of Ancalagon, and neither is likely to be particularly affected by the other's flames.

Both are god-imbued creatures of immense evil and power. I don't see either one pulling out on top, honestly.

Hm, well, I hate to post something that basically comes down to "I agree", but going off what little Wikipedia has for it, it does seem like they're about the same in outright power, with Demon Soul swinging things to Deathwing.

EvilElitest
2007-12-06, 02:07 PM
I don't think Death wing gets the demon soul, it kinda is an instant win
from,
EE

Poison_Fish
2007-12-06, 03:53 PM
I don't think Death wing gets the demon soul, it kinda is an instant win
from,
EE

Hey guys, are they fighting at their full power? Is it over 9000?

(See: My points about Deus Ex Machina in the other warcraft thread)

EvilElitest
2007-12-06, 04:45 PM
Hey guys, are they fighting at their full power? Is it over 9000?

(See: My points about Deus Ex Machina in the other warcraft thread)

I've seen them, but
1. The one ring isn't a deus ex machina, it is just super powered
2. But the LK still is a challenge even with the Ring, while Ancalagon is not
3. What 9000?
from
EE

Rutee
2007-12-06, 04:58 PM
Honestly? Demon Soul is only Instant Win because we're talking about two entities that are even in power, and Demon Soul is an artifact with enough power to affect said entities. Logically speaking..

Neltharion = X
Ancalagon = X

X = X, seems to be the general opinion.

If Demon Soul has a noticeable effect (Even a 1), then it's
X + 1 > X.

Simple logic. The Demon Soul, in setting, is not an instant win tool as a whole (While it paralyzed the Dragonflights and allowed him to one shot the /entire Blue Dragonflight/... Malygos lived, to say the least. And the Dragons /are/ the ones who gave it its powers), though it is a very powerful artifact that is used to augment a few different people.

Illiterate Scribe
2007-12-06, 05:14 PM
I've seen them, but
1. The one ring isn't a deus ex machina, it is just super powered
2. But the LK still is a challenge even with the Ring, while Ancalagon is not
3. What 9000?
from
EE

'EvilElitest, what does the scouter say about Ancalagon's power level?'

'It's over nine thousaaaaaaaaaand!' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBtpyeLxVkI)

Over 9000!

EvilElitest
2007-12-06, 05:57 PM
Over 9000!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
from,
EE

Executor
2007-12-06, 06:16 PM
yeah but ancalagon is more powerful

Sweet, thanks

does death wing get the dragon/demon soul. Because if so, then Ancalagon is screwed
If not, then this is a bit more fair
oh, and when are you coming back to the LK vs. Sauron thread, you created it, you should see the results
from,
EE

I don't think the Demon Soul is entirely fair, as it is basically an Insta-Win button. So, no Demon Soul.

And i've been keeping tabs on the LK vs Sauron thread, just haven't been posting much. I prefer to observe the debate usually.

Bago!!!
2007-12-06, 06:25 PM
I know nothing about Ancalagon, but Deathwing is awesome. But what is Beyond the Dark Portal?

I would put my bets on Deathwing only because I know enoguh about him. But death wing is just plain awesome. Are we talking with his custom made dragons? Doubt it, but just wondering.

Lets see..... Deathwing has awesome fire and I would think his scales could hold its own against Ancalagon. But his breath would probally be useless against this guy, so it would come down to a claw fight, but this guy held his own against the gods, so it would be pretty even there. But doesn't deathwing have magic on his side too? I mean he did raise the mountains in Azeroth.

Rutee
2007-12-06, 06:35 PM
I don't think the Demon Soul is entirely fair, as it is basically an Insta-Win button. So, no Demon Soul.

It is in fact, no more an insta-win button then The One Ring; Literally. He has been defeated while wielding it.

However, it's true that it's not strictly fair; After all, it's an advantage. But it is an earned advantage.

Winterwind
2007-12-07, 01:12 AM
I know nothing about Ancalagon, but Deathwing is awesome. But what is Beyond the Dark Portal?Expansion to WarCraft II. A pretty good one, too. It deals with Khadgar's expedition to Draenor and his fight against Ner'zhul (before the latter tore Draenor apart and became the Lich King).

In it, one of the missions of the Human campaign includes the objective to defeat Deathwing. He is far more powerful than any other hero or unit in the game, but still quite defeatable. Well, obviously.

As for the thread's question, I have no idea.

2007-12-07, 11:19 AM
I think Deathwing would win.

He's literally the corpereal manifestation/guardian of the element of earth.

Ancalagon is tough, but Deathwing has platemail armor bolted to his hide.

Plus, Deathwing sounds cooler than Ancalagon.

skyclad
2007-12-07, 12:15 PM

Are you kidding? The only dragon name cooler than Ancalagon is Glaurung :D

warty goblin
2007-12-07, 01:26 PM

Having armor bolted to your hide really starts to suck when its melted off...

In a straight out physical fight I'd have to go with Ancalagon, he's simply to big to lose. Magically? I'm less sure.

Bago!!!
2007-12-07, 03:29 PM
I don't know about that. How big was he? The only description I found in Wikipedia was pretty vague.

Ancalagon was said to have been so large that he blotted the Sun out, even from afar. He was the largest of any dragon to appear in Middle-earth, even larger than Smaug. His length was unknown, though longer than Glaurung or any other ground dwelling dragons.

The picture is pretty large, but I am not sure if thats how he really looks.

Deathwing is no puppy dog, but I don't know how big he is. He might be about this size.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Image:Alexstrasza.PNG

This would be Alexstrasza, the Aspect of the Red Dragon flight. I am thinking that Deathwing is about that size. And lets not forget, Deathwing is a very, very, VERY smart dragon. He, like the rest of his flight, canny.