PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Character from CoS to AL

Jacco
2023-05-18, 03:01 AM
Hello folks, i just finished CoS with my necromancer ( necromancy mage 9 / death cleric 1) and I'm wondering if I can start an AL adventure with this character. I have read the rules of AL and the character should respect them. For magic items, on the other hand, I don't know how I should go about it. From CoS I got staff of power and goggles of the night.
Do i need to adjust them?

PC :

Human V (point buy)
Cleric death domain 1 / Wizard Necromancy 9

str : 8
dex: 13
cos: 16
int: 18
wis: 13
cha: 8

Feats : Resilient con, War caster, +2 int

Jophiel
2023-05-18, 07:03 AM
To the best of my knowledge, Death Domain is not legal for AL. They dropped the old PHB+1 rule but the core books the player can choose from does not include the DMG.

Once upon a time, AL was much more "lawful" in that everyone was supposed to have officially registered characters, carefully track their xp progression and treasure points, have a log of what what they traded to who, etc. By the time the pandemic snuffed my local AL scene, it was much more casual. Both in the game store side where no one cared about your log sheets and on the WotC side which basically said "I dunno, level whenever you want I guess". So I don't know how much pushback you'd get for playing a domain that used to be exclusive to a free people who earned special certificates in convention play, but it might still raise eyebrows. Really depends on the local scene and how "official" they try to be.

Jacco
2023-05-18, 07:38 AM
If the issue is the cleric domain, I might try to change it (grave domain for thematic reason)...

da newt
2023-05-18, 07:49 AM
As with all things, ask your DM, but the rules:

I've been told the Death Domain Cleric is only available to play if you got a special certificate from playing in an epic back in the day.

As for magic Items, at level 5 you get to pick one item from a select list - otherwise you can only use items you receive while playing AL games.

You can start a PC at level 5, but advancing beyond there requires completing AL game play.

Search for:

D&D® ADVENTURERS LEAGUE
PLAYER’S GUIDE
Effective Date: December 19, 2022. Version 13.0.

It can be found on their discord.

Theodoxus
2023-05-18, 08:58 AM
To the best of my knowledge, Death Domain is not legal for AL. They dropped the old PHB+1 rule but the core books the player can choose from does not include the DMG.

Once upon a time, AL was much more "lawful" in that everyone was supposed to have officially registered characters, carefully track their xp progression and treasure points, have a log of what what they traded to who, etc. By the time the pandemic snuffed my local AL scene, it was much more casual. Both in the game store side where no one cared about your log sheets and on the WotC side which basically said "I dunno, level whenever you want I guess". So I don't know how much pushback you'd get for playing a domain that used to be exclusive to a free people who earned special certificates in convention play, but it might still raise eyebrows. Really depends on the local scene and how "official" they try to be.

100% this. I haven't gone back to see if my FLGS went back to running AL after they moved locations and the pandemic died out, but the last time I played in 2020, the only difference between the AL games and not were the players. The store was running 5 AL tables, and the players would rotate any given week, there were 3 non-AL tables that ran weekly campaigns with the same players week to week, but no one was running AL standardized games. Some DMs would just start a 7th or 10th level game and people would roll up characters to fit on the spot.

So, yeah, your CoS character might be 100% legit in your local AL game, or 100% illegal... just depends.