PDA

View Full Version : Do You Want to Build a Demiplane?

tieren
2023-05-24, 03:37 PM
SO retirement goal for a halfling wizard: become an inn keeper at the edge of the universe.

I am fascinated by the spell demiplane. On the one hand it seems boring compared to say magnificent mansion in terms of what you can do inside and space for entertaining, etc... but the demiplane persists and others can get there if they know how, etc...and while a 30' cube may seem a little barren, its only if you think of it as one big room and not a volume to be creatively designed within.

I am picturing 7 foot ceilings with floors 6" deep, seems to me you could have a first floor at elevation zero, a second floor at elevation 7.5, a third floor at elevation 15, and a fourth floor at elevations 22.5. You can get creative in three dimensions and have exceptions for this general rule, maybe the entrance is a 10' cube so the floor of the second floor in that area is elevated as a stage or platform bed or something.

The concept is to get access to a demiplane, maybe as a 13th level caster you hire someone who can cast demiplane to open one for you and sell you a couple of tuning forks attuned to it. Then go in. Once inside, everyday cast Magnificent mansion to address your food, water, basic living needs. Then everyday for a year cast teleportation circle in the same spot to create a permanent teleportation circle. You can now use plane shift to come and go from your demiplane freely. Bring in some engineers and craftsmen and have them start building the inn itself.

I even have an idea for a stable where mounts can be lowered into portable holes open on canvas held in frames, then the frames can be stacked in racks 6 inches apart with the holes still open so air can get in and out freely, stable hands can feed the mounts and muck the stalls periodically, one rack at a time. I'm working on a way to make the portals for arcane gate a little bigger so they can get some exercise periodically in a portal based treadmill (running down the same alley repeatedly portaling from one end to the other).

I picture a dining room, kitchen spaces, rooms for rent, but also things high level adventurers would want, potions for sale, spell components, medical kits and resurrection supplies, alchemical labs and crafting spaces, etc...A library/study with spell copying supplies, and so on.

The point would be to have additional forks made and give them out with written invitations offered to high level parties of reknown through out the multiverse to come on by and take a load off whenever they need to.

If YOU were building an inn as a way stop for high level adventurers, what sorts of things would you include, or if your party would you include?