PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Pathfinder 1E - My GM told me to make custom spells/items. Help!

Meep Changeling
2023-05-24, 06:08 PM
In a surprising twist, I've been given carte blanch to make any item or spells I want for a wizard I'm building. I triple-checked, he means it. I don't want to break the game, but I do want to have some fun with this opportunity, so I've come here for help.

It's a homebrew setting that's a Victorian-era "cyberpunk but with magic instead of tech" world. This means magitek is in play everywhere. It's also important to note that Wizards are rare and typically like, professors and scientists employed by the state. As my character is a middle-aged Elf, she's retired from that... and became a supervillain to fund her own projects. I have her as poking her nose into eldrich things, psionics, and other esoterica found at the edge of the Unknown and beyond and having done that for so long (due to being 100s of years old) that she's no longer afraid of said Elder things but instead acts more like Markiplier playing a horror game, naming the eldrich and treating them like people. "God damnit, Jerry! You stay over there. This is my side of the cursed manor house. Oh and while you're there, stop getting child blood on the floorboards. Do you know how hard they are to clean? Use a plate!" That sort of thing.

There are not too many spells that focus on changing the environment to be more ghostly or eldrich, and I want to theme most of what she does on that. Make a sort of walking Lovecraftian reality warper. It would be cool if she could pick a bandit group apart by making all of its dwarves suddenly HATE the humans in their company and cause infighting. Or in effect cast "summon Silent Hill" and make everything in a broad area into Horror Terrain(TM), but for REAL instead of just using Major Image. Since I have permission to make custom spells and items, it would be cool to get some help with ideas for things that can do stuff along those lines.

In terms of build, I'm playing an Elf of a type unique to the setting. It's got Elven Magic, DR 5/cold iron, 1 Ranger's Terrain of your choice (I picked Urban), +4 on Diplomacy to gather information, and +2 to the ability of their choice. I rolled really good for stats, and with a +4 headband of intellect, the racial +2, and a +1 from being middle-aged, I have 25 Int to play with. Class wise, its Wizard with the Exploiter Wizard archetype so I could gain access to the basic features of the Void elemental subschool and the Psychic Bloodline. That's mostly for flavor and fun. I like the idea they attempted to gain psionic power via an arcane experiment and messed up a bit, losing some abilities and powers but gaining a smattering of new ones.

Level wise, 5th level with Mythic Rank 4. Table wise, everyone is an adult and a veteran player. Evil characters are okay, and as things are RP heavy I'd prefer utility to combat practicality. I also, absolutely, definitely, 100% want to be able to pull off things like the "YOU DARE CHALLANGE MEGAMIND?!" scene.

I'd appreciate help with build ideas because the less I have to come up with from scratch, the better. As I said, I don't want to break the game... but only an idiot wouldn't do at least a little with a blank check like this.

meschlum
2023-05-25, 01:43 AM
Look at the Curse Terrain spells for some inspirations, I suppose. See here (https://aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?Name=Horror%20Hazards&Category=Horror%20Environments) for some of the effects that can be created, and here (https://aonprd.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Curse%20Terrain) for the spells themselves.

Also potentially consider creating Haunts, as a new effect? Or expanding the range and targeting of the hazards you produce. The spells as is give you any hazard you want - limiting the effect to just a few options, and having them move with you, would be interesting variations. And of course, more hazards mean more possibilities...

Tzardok
2023-05-25, 02:30 AM
Sounds to me like you need a spell for analyzing supernatural and magical phenomena. Some improved version of Detect Magic or Arcane Eye, maybe?