PDA

View Full Version : Rangers and Alignment based spells

Yogibear41
2023-05-25, 04:40 PM
Can Ranger's cast spells opposed to their alignment? In the PHB Cleric and Druids both have an alignment restriction placed on their spell availability. Rangers however do not have this same restriction listed. I know other divine classes such as the Archivist can cast any spell regardless of their alignments. Is this true for Rangers as well?

AnonJr
2023-05-25, 06:56 PM
As far as I can tell, after a cursory look, Rangers are not restricted to any particular alignment. That issue usually only comes up on classes where their spellcasting is more directly tied to their deity.

Rebel7284
2023-05-25, 07:25 PM
Note that casting a spell with an alignment is always considered an action of that type. For example, if you're evil and cast a bunch of "good" buff spells every day, your alignment might shift towards good. This can be somewhat silly, but eh?

Darg
2023-05-25, 09:19 PM
Note that casting a spell with an alignment is always considered an action of that type. For example, if you're evil and cast a bunch of "good" buff spells every day, your alignment might shift towards good. This can be somewhat silly, but eh?

BoED mentions that "good spells don't have any redemptive influence on those who cast them, for better or worse." It does mention that exalted spells do provide that shift because they require sacrifice (in the case of items the user makes the sacrifice, not the creator). Though, evil characters cannot cast exalted spells, even those from items (note that it doesn't prevent them from using the items, they just can't cast the spells. No UMD checks here.)

Yogibear41
2023-05-25, 09:30 PM
BoED mentions that "good spells don't have any redemptive influence on those who cast them, for better or worse."

Nifty I didn't know that.