PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Shadowdancer Build

RNightstalker
2023-05-28, 02:08 PM
So I've always been intrigued by the Shadowdancer PrC and one of my hobbies that keeps me going while only playing DMing two IRL games (one only meets 1/month) is coming up with cool builds: i.e. ones that intrigue me.

So, I'm starting to toy around with what could possibly work as a base to get to the class and I've got two three questions for the playground:

1-What have others used to meet the entry requirements for their builds?

2-Has there been an Iron Chef on this one?

3-The Scout class looks like it could mesh well with the play off of movement and shadow jumping to fuel skirmish damage, though the Rogue class has all three skill requirements as class skills and could enter 3 levels earlier.

Not looking for a break the game build, but something that is a) fun and b) simple(r).

Thanks!

H_H_F_F
2023-05-28, 02:17 PM
2-Has there been an Iron Chef on this one?

I could help you with that! (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?220956-Iron-Chef-Optimization-Challenge-In-The-Playground-XXVI)

Maat Mons
2023-05-28, 03:14 PM
I’m not sure why Rouge would be able to get in any earlier than Scout.

You don’t need Perform as a class skill. By the time you can get the necessary 10 ranks in Hide, you can have 5 ranks in cross-class skills. If you do want Perform as a class skill, some multiclassing in Bard, Monk, Rogue, or Marshal would be an easy way to get it. Cobra Strike Monk 2 gives you Dodge and Mobility as bonus feats, and you can pick up the first 5 ranks in Hide, Move Silently, and Perform.

Psion (Egoist) 1 gives you Minor Change Shape, with the ACF from Mind’s Eye. Or you could just be a Changeling.

I didn’t read the Iron Chef thread, so some of what I said may be redundant.

RNightstalker
2023-05-28, 05:44 PM
I could help you with that! (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?220956-Iron-Chef-Optimization-Challenge-In-The-Playground-XXVI)

Kinda cool a couple of builds included Scout.

I’m not sure why Rouge would be able to get in any earlier than Scout.

You don’t need Perform as a class skill. By the time you can get the necessary 10 ranks in Hide, you can have 5 ranks in cross-class skills. If you do want Perform as a class skill, some multiclassing in Bard, Monk, Rogue, or Marshal would be an easy way to get it. Cobra Strike Monk 2 gives you Dodge and Mobility as bonus feats, and you can pick up the first 5 ranks in Hide, Move Silently, and Perform.

Psion (Egoist) 1 gives you Minor Change Shape, with the ACF from Mind’s Eye. Or you could just be a Changeling.

I didn’t read the Iron Chef thread, so some of what I said may be redundant.

Thanks for the reminder on the skill rank thing...I got so focused on the cross class for perform, I missed the in-class skill requirements.
As for the Iron Chef, I did briefly skim the entries and don't recall seeing Cobra Strike Monk...it seems most used Fighter instead, though having the better saves could definitely help.

pabelfly
2023-05-28, 05:53 PM
As for the Iron Chef, I did briefly skim the entries and don't recall seeing Cobra Strike Monk...it seems most used Fighter instead, though having the better saves could definitely help.

You do lose a point of BAB though, and Shadowdancer is only a 3/4 BAB class. I'm guessing people either missed it or thought the extra 5% accuracy and making it easier to get a benchmark of 16 BAB was more important.

RNightstalker
2023-05-28, 06:04 PM
You do lose a point of BAB though, and Shadowdancer is only a 3/4 BAB class. I'm guessing people either missed it or thought the extra 5% accuracy and making it easier to get a benchmark of 16 BAB was more important.

Good point. Definitely something to consider.