PDA

View Full Version : Mystra-related order of Monks?

schreier
2023-05-29, 11:57 AM
We're setting up a "hermitage" as a PC stronghold. We have two main worshipped deities among the group: Mystra and Corellon.

For the monks - are there good orders for either deity? We have Swordsages under Corellon now, but have not figured out the order. Azuth has the Shining Hand, and there is a substitution level for Illuminated Monks, and there are prestige classes that work well (Sacred Fist and Enlightened Fist) - but for the base order, nothing is perfect that I see.

Would you adjust Shining Hand to be more proactive and Mystra focused? Is there another order that works?

Any thoughts? Is there anything in the lore I'm missing?

Troacctid
2023-05-29, 02:09 PM
The Sacred Path of Wee Jas could easily be adapted to Mystra, or you could tie the Spell Reflection ACF to the order. Another option would be to simply invent your own fighting style. Something like this:

Sacred Path of Mystra
1st level skill bonus: Spellcraft
1st level feat: Arcane Schooling
2nd level feat: Vatic Gaze
6th level feat: Craft Magic Arms and Armor
6th level bonus ability: Once per day as an immediate action, you can attempt to counter an opposing spell, as the counterspell mode of greater dispel magic. Your caster level is equal to your hit dice. This is a spell-like ability.
Prerequisites: Concentration 5 ranks, Spellcraft 4 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 9 ranks

loky1109
2023-05-29, 02:11 PM
There are Mistra themed monks in some Dragon magazine, aren't they?

No, they aren't.

lylsyly
2023-05-29, 04:44 PM
The Sacred Path of Wee Jas could easily be adapted to Mystra, or you could tie the Spell Reflection ACF to the order. Another option would be to simply invent your own fighting style. Something like this:

Sacred Path of Mystra
1st level skill bonus: Spellcraft
1st level feat: Arcane Schooling
2nd level feat: Vatic Gaze
6th level feat: Craft Magic Arms and Armor
6th level bonus ability: Once per day as an immediate action, you can attempt to counter an opposing spell, as the counterspell mode of greater dispel magic. Your caster level is equal to your hit dice. This is a spell-like ability.
Prerequisites: Concentration 5 ranks, Spellcraft 4 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 9 ranks

I think Troacctid has the best anwser your going to find. Mystra kind of got the short ende of the stick in 3rd edition. probably because in the fiction which was 2nd edition era she died and eirther bacame a part of or was replaced by Midnight. (I haven't read those books since they first came out)

schreier
2023-05-30, 09:19 AM
I think Troacctid has the best anwser your going to find. Mystra kind of got the short ende of the stick in 3rd edition. probably because in the fiction which was 2nd edition era she died and eirther bacame a part of or was replaced by Midnight. (I haven't read those books since they first came out)

Thank you! I definitely agree that Troacctid's recommendation is the strongest. I am not sure how I missed Wee-Jas there, and even just taking that version over and probably allowing for LG as well works on its own.

Definitely recommending Kung-Fu genius for them in general