PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed [3.5] Metamagic Question: Cursed Blade + Black Lore of Moil

Fuzzy Math
2023-05-31, 09:03 PM
I'm trying to wrap my head around this one. Cursed Blade(SpC, p57) is a necromancy spell, so the metamagic can apply, that much I understand. What I don't understand is the HOW? Does it only apply on the first swing or would it keep adding the damage per successful hit until the duration expired?

Saintheart
2023-05-31, 10:10 PM
It depends how conservatively your DM reads BLoM.

BLoM makes a necromancy spell do "extra" damage. Cursed Blade doesn't do any damage, it just changes the quality of the damage the weapon it's applied to does. If the DM says your spell has to actually do some damage for BLoM to grant it extra damage, then you can't apply it to Cursed Blade.

If your DM is going to rule that it basically gives +2d6 damage to any weapon it's applied to, then you have a generous DM and the damage would apply to every one of your swings for the full duration of the spell. But it takes his ruling on it.

Black Lore of Moil was probably meant (RAI vs RAW) to apply to that small category of Necromancy spells which do direct hitpoint damage. Its RAW can be used far, far more effectively than that, un/fortunately. But on this one I think it's a case of - ask your DM if you can even get BLoM to apply to Cursed Blade at all.

Thurbane
2023-05-31, 11:22 PM
Yeah, similar concept to applying extra damage from the Bane Magic feat, Warmage Edge etc. [edit] Warmage Edge is pretty clear, actually. never mind that example.

It's kind of up to the DM how you read those damage bonuses applying to spells that cause damage over time, or spells that can cause multiple instances of damage.

Saintheart
2023-05-31, 11:26 PM
Warmage Edge etc. [edit] Warmage Edge is pretty clear, actually. never mind that example.

It's not :) Well, not in one edge (yes, that was intended) case at least.

Ice Knife is on the Warmage list and does hitpoint and ability damage. And therefore qualifies for Warmage Edge. As do several other Evocation spells he can pull onto his list via Advanced Learning. Bonus to the hitpoint damage, or the ability damage, or both? :)

Gruftzwerg
2023-06-01, 12:29 AM
BLoM makes a necromancy spell do "extra" damage. Cursed Blade doesn't do any damage, it just changes the quality of the damage the weapon it's applied to does. If the DM says your spell has to actually do some damage for BLoM to grant it extra damage, then you can't apply it to Cursed Blade.

This, because the necromancy spell itself needs to do damage. But Cursed Blade itself doesn't do any damage at all. It alters a weapon which ain't a direct damage effect.

Yeah, similar concept to applying extra damage from the Bane Magic feat, Warmage Edge etc. [edit] Warmage Edge is pretty clear, actually. never mind that example.

It's kind of up to the DM how you read those damage bonuses applying to spells that cause damage over time, or spells that can cause multiple instances of damage.
It depends on the wording of each ability. (see below my response to Saintheart)

It's not :) Well, not in one edge (yes, that was intended) case at least.

Ice Knife is on the Warmage list and does hitpoint and ability damage. And therefore qualifies for Warmage Edge. As do several other Evocation spells he can pull onto his list via Advanced Learning. Bonus to the hitpoint damage, or the ability damage, or both? :)
Warmage Edge is triggered by the "cast of the spell" and not by its damage:
"Whenever a warmage casts a spell that deals hit point damage, he adds his Intelligence bonus (if any) to the amount of damage dealt."

So the effect is triggered once and not for each damage instance. (and it sole works for hitpoint dmg and not for ability damage).

Let me give you an example of the opposite: Mortalbane
"A mortalbane ability is a damaging spell-like ability that deals 2d6 points of additional damage when used against living nonoutsiders, but only half damage (rounded down) against outsiders, undead, and constructs."

Mortalbane is triggered by the use against living targets. A damage over time effect is still being used against that foe in later rounds. Thus every damage instance can profit separately.