PDA

View Full Version : from hell's heart, i stab at thee(prc)

reorith
2007-12-05, 10:16 PM
the waves broke, depositing the man on the beach. he shook the sand from his hair and looked to the gathering crowd. “the see hag will trouble your village no longer!” he announced, tossing a severed head to the sandy ground. then everyone went to get drunk in celebration.

sea slayers hunt the various creatures that make their home in the worlds seas. they know no alignment restriction. good sea slayers claim beasts that threaten coastal towns and shipping routes while evil sea slayers use their skills to torment and terrorize communities tritons and merfolk and the like.

the sea slayer
hd: d10

requirements

bab: +6
feats: skill focus(swim)
skills: , knowledge(nature) 8 ranks, survival 8 ranks, and swim 8 ranks. a creature with a swim speed as a racial feature doesn't need ranks in swim.

sea slayer
{table=head]level|base attack bonus|fort save|ref save|will save|special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0| oceanbane, hold breath

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0| underwater combat

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1| blindsight, sea's own, amphibious

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1| improved underwater combat

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1| sharkshape[/table]

the sea slayer's class skills are climb (str), craft (int), handle animal (cha), intimidate (cha), jump (str), knowledge(geography) (int), knowledge(nature) (int), survival (wis), swim (str) and use rope (dex).
a sea slayer receives (2+ int mod) skill points per level.

weapon and armor proficency
a sea slayer is proficient with all simple weapons, the heavy crossbow, and the trident. they are proficient with light armor. a sea slayer is not proficient with any type of shield.

oceanbane (ex) a sea slayer gains a competence bonus equal to half her sea slayer level to damage rolls, grapple checks, listen checks and spot checks involving creatures with the aquatic or water subtypes.

hold breath (ex) a sea slayer can hold her breath for a number of rounds equal to 8 x her constitution modifier.

underwater combat (ex) a seaslayer deals damage with melee weapons underwater as normal.

blindsight(ex) due to the dark and murky cocnditions, a sea slayer develops blindsight out to 60 feet to help her pursue her quarry in the ocean's depth. a sea slayer loses her blindsight ability when not underwater.

sea's own (ex) a sea slayer gains the aquatic subtype with the amphibious special quality. her swim speed is equal to her land speed.

amphbious (ex) a sea slayer can breathe both on land and underwater.

improved underwater combat (ex) at 4th level a sea slayer gains a +1 bonus to attack rolls made underwater. a sea slayer also ignores the penalty to ranged attacks made underwater and instead uses the ranged weapon's range increment. thrown weapons are still ineffective underwater.

sharkshape (su) a sea slayer's underwater predatory prowess becomes so refined she eventually takes on some of the characteristics of the shark. at 5th level, a sea slayer gains the ability to turn herself into a large shark and back again once per day. this ability functions like the alternate form special ability, except as noted here. the effect lasts for 1 hour per sea slayer level, or until she changes back. changing form (to a shark or back again) is a standard action and doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity. each time a sea slayer uses sharkshape, she regains lost hit points as if she had rested for a night.

any gear worn or carried by the sea slayer melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional. when the sea slayer reverts to her true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the same location on her body that they previously occupied and are once again functional. any new items worn in the assumed form fall off and land at the sea slayer's's feet.

Nebo_
2007-12-05, 11:17 PM
Very weak and far too situational to be useful. Shark shape is based on druid level for some reason, too.

reorith
2007-12-05, 11:20 PM
Very weak and far too situational to be useful. Shark shape is based on druid level for some reason, too.

eh my gaming group runs a lot of nautical based stuff. sharkshape is a limited version of wildshape and i guess i missed that line ::smallfrown: yeah i'll fix that and cut it down to three levels.

Magnor Criol
2007-12-05, 11:41 PM
...is...is the title a Something Positive reference?

"From Hell's heart, I stab minty-freshly at the, [expletive]!" *spits after-dinner mints*

RandomFellow
2007-12-05, 11:43 PM
...is...is the title a Something Positive reference?

Moby ****...99% sure.

Prophaniti
2007-12-06, 10:01 AM
Yes, the title line is indeed from Moby ****, though a lot of people today (I've met a few) ignorantly assume it's an original quote by Khan from the StarTrek movie. These are the same people who think 'Revenge is a dish best served cold' is a Klingon proverb.

Interesting class, btw. Obviously its a bit specialized, but that's what you were going for and it fills its niche nicely. An extremely useful class for a dip even in a campaign with only some aquatic encounters.

CabbageTheif
2007-12-09, 12:27 PM

how is it too weak? do you know what paladin level 7-11 looks like? or fighter 7-11? i mention those because both have full bab, and would be able to take this at seventh level. they have, in those level areas, 3 dead levels where they gain nothing but another step in their full bab and maybe increase saves. a level 11 human fighter has 3 attacks (11/6/1) and 7 feats. levle 11 pali has the same bab, smite, mount, and healing stuff. this class improves upon any fighter or pali's specialized fighting style, and would be amazing in an island world setting.

it looks fine to me, i only have two points. one, for organization, if the opening stats could have [nifty stuff at this level, nifty stuff happens]. the first few detailed descriptors dont have the level.

two, and this is something to add, not fix. if captain ahab can turn into a shark by fifth level, then wouldnt it make sence if he was able to, at a level previous, have 'sharkskin' +1 na, then another level 'sharkteeth' 1d4 sm, 1d6 med, bite atack. i dunno, if anything i feel that it isnt powerful enough. by level 11, druid can change how many times into how many things, and a pali's mount can be a certain amount of awesome. just saying, i think that even when not in shark form they could have some sharkish tendancies.

and cover yourself. your ee cummings is showing.