PDA

View Full Version : Unhealthy in the Playground

Leper_Kahn
2007-12-05, 10:20 PM
So... I've been unhealthy lately. Not sick, that's for a different thread. Just eating badly and feeling unhealthy in general. Anyone else not feeling good?

Jack Squat
2007-12-05, 11:00 PM
well I'm a college student. I think it's a given that I don't eat healthy.

I've still got something like 9% body fat and pretty good constitution, but I can't say I've tried for that.

Saeveo
2007-12-07, 03:53 AM
well I'm a college student. I think it's a given that I don't eat healthy.

I've a friend in college who won't eat anything that's not made of bread or potatoes. We're still trying to figure out why he hasn't just died yet. :smallsmile:

I've a cold at the moment, if that counts. Only getting 4 and a half hours of sleep every night doesn't help either.

jmaccabeus
2007-12-07, 02:49 PM
I've a friend in college who won't eat anything that's not made of bread or potatoes. We're still trying to figure out why he hasn't just died yet. :smallsmile:

Well, if you're going to pick pnly two foods, those are actually really good choices. They won't give you everything you should have, but you can survive. Certainly a better diet than a lot of college students end up with. :smallbiggrin:

Micate
2007-12-07, 02:59 PM
Top Ramen and pizza delivery ftw.

Spiryt
2007-12-07, 03:09 PM
Just eating badly and feeling unhealthy in general.

I call it life :smallbiggrin:

Haruki-kun
2007-12-07, 04:00 PM
Haven't had much time to be Healthy lately......... but School's out now!!!! WOOT!!!!

Maybe I might be able to get back in shape with no tests and projects.....

Saithis Bladewing
2007-12-07, 05:14 PM
I'm suffering from a mild case of malnutrition, so I'm gonna say 'me too.'

Dragor
2007-12-07, 05:42 PM
Stomach bug here. I can hardly eat anything without feeling full. Urk.

Extra_Crispy
2007-12-08, 12:19 AM
Well I really dont eat very well myself. I need to eat healthier, more fruit and vegies but I am not too bad. Just have to lose the bit of a belly I have, pluss I just got over a NASTY flu. The first night of the flu my temp went so high that my eyes burned all night and I was sweating so much that my whole bed was soaked but yet I was still shivering all night. Not a good couple of nights.

BizzaroStormy
2007-12-08, 03:54 AM
Despite roughly 13 hours of sleep per day and getting plenty to eat, i constanly feel like crap. Always tired, always thirsty, and unexplained urges to break things.

Serpentine
2007-12-08, 06:00 AM
well I'm a college student. I think it's a given that I don't eat healthy.Apparently a disproportionate number of Australian university students live below the poverty line and/or have scurvy... Not good :smalleek:

The first night of the flu my temp went so high that my eyes burned all night and I was sweating so much that my whole bed was soaked but yet I was still shivering all night. Not a good couple of nights.FUN FACT TIME: Fevers are your body's way of fighting off viruses etc. by trying to raise its environment (your body) over their fatal temperature range while remaining within its own safe temp. Individuals that get fevers are more likely to survive illnesses than ones that don't.
So don't worry, your body's just looking after you! :smallbiggrin:

Despite roughly 13 hours of sleep per day and getting plenty to eat, i constanly feel like crap. Always tired, always thirsty, and unexplained urges to break things.
That doesn't sound good, especially the always thirsty bit. I think it could be worth your while getting thee to a doctor.

ghost_warlock
2007-12-08, 07:38 AM
I'm feeling generally well. However, my gf says "I know I'm alive because of the pain."

And you know the saying 'what's good for the goose is good for the gander'? Well, what's bad for the goose is also bad for the gander. :smallfrown:

Premsyl
2007-12-08, 12:31 PM
I've lost 95lbs since June to malnutrition and cancer. I'm done with the cancer now but the malnutrition is still around. It's hard to even stand for extended periods of time. Plus I probably smoke to much grass.

BizzaroStormy
2007-12-08, 01:37 PM
Apparently a disproportionate number of Australian university students live below the poverty line and/or have scurvy... Not good :smalleek:

FUN FACT TIME: Fevers are your body's way of fighting off viruses etc. by trying to raise its environment (your body) over their fatal temperature range while remaining within its own safe temp. Individuals that get fevers are more likely to survive illnesses than ones that don't.
So don't worry, your body's just looking after you! :smallbiggrin:

That doesn't sound good, especially the always thirsty bit. I think it could be worth your while getting thee to a doctor.

Since the only doctor I can afford (the one that accepts my health insucrance) burned down, i really dont have much of a choice that to sit here and hope i improve

Serpentine
2007-12-08, 09:11 PM
That is absolutely ridiculous and disgusting. Health care should not be a luxury :smallmad:

Premsyl, at least you have a good excuse :smallwink:

Arameus
2007-12-08, 10:59 PM
A few months ago, I was sicker than I ever had been in my life. Now, I've been fairly sick before, mind you, but by the secondd day of lying in bed for 20 hours curled as tightly into a ball as I could manage for warmth (despite my fever of 103), I realized that that was about as bad as I had had it.

What really got to me was the weakness that came over me; I had to hold onto the wall just to walk to the kitchen. At one point, I blacked out because, I realized afterwards, I had had one meal in three days and my blood sugar had bottomed out.

No sleep. Period. For a week and a half. Some people binge on caffeine (or speed, whatever floats your boat) and do this for fun, but when you're in such a sorry state, it doesn't have quite the glamor to it.

Serious steroids and antibiotics were needed to fight this off, and they caused me to essentially lose my mind and trip out. Not the good kind where the elves take you to their shrine and make you their king. The bad kind, where you think the walls will eat you. And that they ARE eating you.

The pain, too, was pretty intense. Full-body, especially in the joints. Not that kind of pain you get with a headache or a cut or hitting yourself with a hammer. That kind of pain you get when you get kicked in the kidney or in the balls, except over your entire body.

At one point, my throat was openly bleeding and I had to have a little cup beside my bed to spit into or it could choke me, or pool in my lungs and give me pneumonia, essentially drowning me in my own blood.

A week and a half later, I had lost twenty pounds. I only weigh 140 normally, and I'm 6' tall, so that's pretty serious.

Wash your hands, people.

Mr. Mud
2007-12-08, 11:06 PM
*Sniffles*
I get a cold every winter... nothing major, but I could write a book on how annoying it is: Stuffy Nose, Soar throat...etc :smallfurious:

Mr. Mud
2007-12-08, 11:10 PM
A few months ago, I was sicker than I ever had been in my life. Now, I've been fairly sick before, mind you, but by the secondd day of lying in bed for 20 hours curled as tightly into a ball as I could manage for warmth (despite my fever of 103), I realized that that was about as bad as I had had it.

What really got to me was the weakness that came over me; I had to hold onto the wall just to walk to the kitchen. At one point, I blacked out because, I realized afterwards, I had had one meal in three days and my blood sugar had bottomed out.

No sleep. Period. For a week and a half. Some people binge on caffeine (or speed, whatever floats your boat) and do this for fun, but when you're in such a sorry state, it doesn't have quite the glamor to it.

Serious steroids and antibiotics were needed to fight this off, and they caused me to essentially lose my mind and trip out. Not the good kind where the elves take you to their shrine and make you their king. The bad kind, where you think the walls will eat you. And that they ARE eating you.

The pain, too, was pretty intense. Full-body, especially in the joints. Not that kind of pain you get with a headache or a cut or hitting yourself with a hammer. That kind of pain you get when you get kicked in the kidney or in the balls, except over your entire body.

At one point, my throat was openly bleeding and I had to have a little cup beside my bed to spit into or it could choke me, or pool in my lungs and give me pneumonia, essentially drowning me in my own blood.

A week and a half later, I had lost twenty pounds. I only weigh 140 normally, and I'm 6' tall, so that's pretty serious.

Wash your hands, people.

What sickness/disease was it :smallfrown: ? A friend of mine had 5th disease, and it sounded sorta like what you had, to a lesser extent, and the joint pain was so bad she could move her arms at the elbows, only at the shoulder, and to a small extend there,

--And man your tough...:smallcool:

Arameus
2007-12-08, 11:18 PM
Tough? Tough? I was in the fetal position 20 hours a day! Tough? I need to meet a woman that thinks like you do.

In a word, it was tonsilitis. Except it wasn't. It was rare hypertonsilitis that doesn't just invade your body for kicks, it hates you and wants your organs. As for the exact anme of the pathogen, I'd have to ask Mrs. Doctor.

Raiser Blade
2007-12-09, 12:26 AM
The reason you feel cold when you have a fever is based of the fact that the feeling of the air around you is realative to your body temperature.

So with a higher body temperature the air around you will feel much cooler.

Apparently i'm a blathering madman.

Serpentine
2007-12-09, 12:30 AM
Not quite, Raiser.
I mentioned... elsewhere, it must've been, that fevers are your body's way of attempting to kill the pathogen by overheating. Body temperature is controlled by the hypothalamus. To cause the fever, it raises your body's desired temperature higher than normal. This means that, in comparison to this desired temperature, you feel cold, and your body then takes steps in an effort to warm you up, raising your actual body temperature.
I may have gotten the details a bit wrong, but basically it's your body itself that makes you feel colder, not the air around you.

Rawhide
2007-12-09, 12:32 AM
Fever. Simplified. (http://www.kidshealth.org/kid/ill_injure/sick/fever.html)

Raiser Blade
2007-12-09, 12:33 AM
Not quite, Raiser.
I mentioned... elsewhere, it must've been, that fevers are your body's way of attempting to kill the pathogen by overheating. Body temperature is controlled by the hypothalamus. To cause the fever, it raises your body's desired temperature higher than normal. This means that, in comparison to this desired temperature, you feel cold, and your body then takes steps in an effort to warm you up, raising your actual body temperature.
I may have gotten the details a bit wrong, but basically it's your body itself that makes you feel colder, not the air around you.

Really?

Curse you science i've been foiled again! *fistshake*

:smalltongue:

Serpentine
2007-12-09, 12:39 AM
It's all a learning experience :smallbiggrin:

Mr. Mud
2007-12-09, 09:37 AM
Tough? Tough? I was in the fetal position 20 hours a day! Tough? I need to meet a woman that thinks like you do.

In a word, it was tonsilitis. Except it wasn't. It was rare hypertonsilitis that doesn't just invade your body for kicks, it hates you and wants your organs. As for the exact anme of the pathogen, I'd have to ask Mrs. Doctor.

So... it's like your tonsilitis turned into Jack the Ripper? Except, you caught it and kicked its behind? :smallcool:

Sewer_Bandito
2007-12-09, 01:53 PM

You should try taking up a sport (if you don't already). The excersize will make you feel less tired, and if it's a contact sport, it's a good way to get out that need to break things. I'm not sure about the thirsty part, but staying hydrated is a major part of any sport.