PDA

View Full Version : Guessing Order of the Scribble 2.0

Luizeu
2023-06-02, 11:06 AM
Let's say the Order of the Stick is successful and defeat Xykon and somehow convinces Redcloak to help them create new gates, take care of one of the gates what next?
Would the rifts still be there? Or would they disappear?

If the new gates still need protection, who or what measures would their new wardens take to protect them?

Rift in the Elven Lands?

Maybe V would be inclined to protect this one using magic and the power of baked goods? (I'm assuming they get together)

Rift in the Mountains?

The start of the story so we have a close full circle. Maybe it could be Roy's stronghold. His duty as a high-level adventurerer. He could use his structural knowledge to protect it maybe?

Rift in the North Pole?

As it is closer to Dwarven lands, Durkon could protect it enlisting his dwarven family and friends?

Rift above Azure City Gobbotopia?

As good twist, maybe Redcloak evil turned good could take care of this one and Gobbotopia should thrive

Rift in the Desert?

That's Elan's happy ending? Build a nice and respectable city around it and rule it along with Haley?

What are your suggestions?

Lord Torath
2023-06-02, 11:12 AM
If they get Redcloak's help, there will be no gates. The gods will patch up the holes so that they're stronger than the surrounding world. They'll look just like the regular world to the average mortal, but they'll actually be harder for the Snarl to unravel.

Luizeu
2023-06-02, 11:34 AM
If they get Redcloak's help, there will be no gates. The gods will patch up the holes so that they're stronger than the surrounding world. They'll look just like the regular world to the average mortal, but they'll actually be harder for the Snarl to unravel.

Makes sense. So maybe I'll edit the premisse and Redcloak doesn't help them

Edreyn
2023-06-02, 12:03 PM
I believe that the very idea is to either eradicate or somehow pacify the Snarl, but in any case it should be permanent. In either case there won't be any need for gates.

ZhonLord
2023-06-02, 12:20 PM
And if Redcloak and the dark one DON'T help seal the rifts, then the gods will continue with Operation "next world" rather than risk any more Gates falling into the wrong hands. So either there are no rifts, or there is no world.

Doug Lampert
2023-06-02, 01:30 PM
And if Redcloak and the dark one DON'T help seal the rifts, then the gods will continue with Operation "next world" rather than risk any more Gates falling into the wrong hands. So either there are no rifts, or there is no world.

You are assuming that our heroes don't find a third way.

Redcloak helps is a revealed plan, there's no real reason to expect it to work.

It's a revealed plan which probably doesn't actually solve the problem as the snarl is not limited to only the existing rifts.

And it's a revealed plan that involves RC changing sides when his entire character is wrapped up in an unwillingness to reconsider his course. Ask his brother how trying to get RC to think about another way works, even when you've demonstrated that another way does in fact work.

While you're at it, ask 10,000 dead hobgoblins deliberately killed by RC if RC deserves to have a happy ending.

RC is a major part of the problem, he's not the solution, the solution will be Our Heroes doing something else, which may well also eliminate the rifts, but it won't be the expressed plan of patches, at least not patches deliberately enabled by RC.

Peelee
2023-06-02, 01:49 PM
All other issues aside, why would they split up like the Scribblers did?

brian 333
2023-06-02, 02:00 PM

It's a revealed plan which probably doesn't actually solve the problem as the snarl is not limited to only the existing rifts.

And it's a revealed plan that involves RC changing sides when his entire character is wrapped up in an unwillingness to reconsider his course. Ask his brother how trying to get RC to think about another way works, even when you've demonstrated that another way does in fact work.

While you're at it, ask 10,000 dead hobgoblins deliberately killed by RC if RC deserves to have a happy ending.

RC is a major part of the problem, he's not the solution, the solution will be Our Heroes doing something else, which may well also eliminate the rifts, but it won't be the expressed plan of patches, at least not patches deliberately enabled by RC.

I agree with the 'something else' hypothesis. I also agree that OotS will still be friends and support each other for life. However, since I already have a bet that Haley and Elan become 3D and move over to explore the world in the rift, it may be difficult to have reunions.

Metastachydium
2023-06-02, 02:18 PM

Yeah, sure. That's how these things work (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0836.html).

Thor seems very confident that spot-welding can handle that just fine (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1142.html). Why shouldn't we assume the same, again?

Ask his brother how trying to get RC to think about another way works, even when you've demonstrated that another way does in fact work.

I literally don't have the vaguest idea what you're talking about.

the solution will be Our Heroes doing something else, which may well also eliminate the rifts, but it won't be the expressed plan of patches, at least not patches deliberately enabled by RC.

I admire the certainty expressed therein. I do not share it.

ZhonLord
2023-06-04, 06:34 AM

Incorrect. The gods themselves have stated that it's impossible to close the rifts with only the three colors they have available to them. And everything in this world is comprised of 3-color entities. The rifts have to either be sealed with 4 colors, to match the 4 colors of the Snarl, or else the world has to be remade with a fresh "fabric" that's free of "tears".

Redcloak and the Dark One are the problem, yes, that's why half the gods want to nuke this world and let TDO starve before the next world is made. But they're also the solution, in that they provide a fourth color to match the Snarl for the first time in millions - literally millions (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1139.html) - of worlds.

The Gates were a stopgap measure to delay the prison's failure,but they were also a security risk, hence the nuke caucus. The gods won't risk a similar stopgap causing more problems. There is no clever workaround, there is no creative solution, there is nothing the denizens of the material plane can do against a being who is LITERALLY more real than they are. Either the dark one joins in sealing the Snarl, or the world dies. There is no other way out.

brian 333
2023-06-04, 08:47 AM
Incorrect. The gods themselves have stated that it's impossible to close the rifts with only the three colors they have available to them. And everything in this world is comprised of 3-color entities. The rifts have to either be sealed with 4 colors, to match the 4 colors of the Snarl, or else the world has to be remade with a fresh "fabric" that's free of "tears".

Redcloak and the Dark One are the problem, yes, that's why half the gods want to nuke this world and let TDO starve before the next world is made. But they're also the solution, in that they provide a fourth color to match the Snarl for the first time in millions - literally millions (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1139.html) - of worlds.

The Gates were a stopgap measure to delay the prison's failure,but they were also a security risk, hence the nuke caucus. The gods won't risk a similar stopgap causing more problems. There is no clever workaround, there is no creative solution, there is nothing the denizens of the material plane can do against a being who is LITERALLY more real than they are. Either the dark one joins in sealing the Snarl, or the world dies. There is no other way out.

I agree with your facts.

I also would like to point out that there are ample hints that The Snarl isn't what they think it is, and that even the gods are not aware of all of the facts.

I think that when it all comes together at the end of the story, Something Else is more likely than the plans presented to us so far. The only sure bet is that Roy destroys Xykon.

Tubercular Ox
2023-06-04, 10:52 AM
Okay, so, what I'm about to say clearly isn't going to happen, but it is Something Else so I'm sharing it as a possible inspiration for Also Something Else.

What if new information proves that The Dark One will survive to the next world?

... but only if this world is flushed right now?

... but only if the gates are rebuilt?

... so that the Gods can step back and let The Dark One terrorize the world (buffing his stats)
... until the Snarl destroys it in its own time

Provengreil
2023-06-04, 11:12 AM
Okay, so, what I'm about to say clearly isn't going to happen, but it is Something Else so I'm sharing it as a possible inspiration for Also Something Else.

What if new information proves that The Dark One will survive to the next world?

... so that the Gods can step back and let The Dark One terrorize the world (buffing his stats)

I'm with brian333 on this one, the only thing we could reasonably hope to guess at is the destruction of Xykon at Roy's hands. It may be predictable but it'll be satisfying.

Whatever the something else is, the unknowns regarding the nature of the snarl and whatever ominousness the IFCC is planning are part of it. It's not for nothing the Giant has kept this quiet on the topic though, as the closest we can get to theorizing anything on it is that their vessel is probably a living person. Whatever it all turns out to be though, it'll be a game changer.

Mic_128
2023-06-04, 12:25 PM

What would happen? Nothing. The Gods have their rules and laws to keep from creating another Snarl, and one of those rules was no-take-backsies. (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1001.html) The Godsmoot is stuck awaiting the result of the vote of the Dwarves to resolve everything. Short of the Snarl breaking loose and tearing the world apart, I can't see the Gods doing anything.

brian 333
2023-06-04, 12:48 PM
What would happen? Nothing. The Gods have their rules and laws to keep from creating another Snarl, and one of those rules was no-take-backsies. (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1001.html) The Godsmoot is stuck awaiting the result of the vote of the Dwarves to resolve everything. Short of the Snarl breaking loose and tearing the world apart, I can't see the Gods doing anything.

If the dwarves ever finish their vote it will be a majority in favor of destruction, so if the No Backsies rule is ironclad, the world ends no matter what the OotS does.

Peelee
2023-06-04, 01:15 PM
If the dwarves ever finish their vote it will be a majority in favor of destruction, so if the No Backsies rule is ironclad, the world ends no matter what the OotS does.

Why? Nothing seems to indicate this would be the case.

Kish
2023-06-04, 01:25 PM
I think it does add up. A majority of the delegates to the Council of Clans have already voted "Yes," as have a majority of the Gods of the North and the Gods of the West. An argument that "there's no way out of the current Godsmoot vote resolving" would lead to the world ending.

That said, let me be clear that I'm not saying the world's going to end; I'm saying "the current Godsmoot vote will inevitably be completed, not declared a misvote or something similar" isn't the case.

And "let The Dark One terrorize the world (buffing his stats)" belongs in a webcomic with a much more simplistic idea of D&D and racial morality than this one.

Metastachydium
2023-06-04, 02:30 PM

I think it does add up. A majority of the delegates to the Council of Clans have already voted "Yes," as have a majority of the Gods of the North and the Gods of the West. An argument that "there's no way out of the current Godsmoot vote resolving" would lead to the world ending.

Well, except that does not account for valid workarounds that we are aware of, such as bodyguards for any number of "yes" clerics getting twitchy fingers (which is far more likely than bodyguards for "no" clerics doing so, based on the less direct connection between the gods and their clerics' bodyguards and the attitudes of bodyguards portrayed in the comic).

Peelee
2023-06-04, 02:42 PM

That said, let me be clear that I'm not saying the world's going to end; I'm saying "the current Godsmoot vote will inevitably be completed, not declared a misvote or something similar" isn't the case.

And "let The Dark One terrorize the world (buffing his stats)" belongs in a webcomic with a much more simplistic idea of D&D and racial morality than this one.

My understanding was that a majority was not reached before voting ended - if it was, then even withythe vote being suspended, nothing the Order does would substantially matter since the world would go boom anyway once the vote is continued. Which would make a poor story.

ETA: Not counting the one channeling Dvalin, i count six non-dominated voters during the vote, six dominated yes votes, and one dominated voter whose vote was interrupted (and is likely no longer dominated).

brian 333
2023-06-04, 05:06 PM
My understanding was that a majority was not reached before voting ended - if it was, then even withythe vote being suspended, nothing the Order does would substantially matter since the world would go boom anyway once the vote is continued. Which would make a poor story.

This was my thinking, but:

ETA: Not counting the one channeling Dvalin, i count six non-dominated voters during the vote, six dominated yes votes, and one dominated voter whose vote was interrupted (and is likely no longer dominated).

I mistakenly counted seven yes votes, and I thought that the hiccup was that the vote could not be finalized until a new table is completed. This was wrong, and a rereading (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1172.html) of the relevant (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1173.html) pages shows that you are correct. Six yes votes, two no votes, one attempted yes vote not completed before the motion to adjourn, and three votes plus the chair's vote not yet cast.

Since I do not have a copy of the rulebook, I am forced to defer to the cited passage which implies that anything that happened after the table was broken does not count. The dwarven council could still return a no vote.

Mic_128
2023-06-05, 06:44 AM
Since I do not have a copy of the rulebook, I am forced to defer to the cited passage which implies that anything that happened after the table was broken does not count. The dwarven council could still return a no vote.

Which is the point. If the vote was stuck in a no-win state, people would be freaking the hell out a lot more, and they would have been talking about finding ways around it, not about ways to protect the dwarves when the clan reconvene after getting a new table. For a start, they wouldn't be getting a new table.

Provengreil
2023-06-05, 07:04 AM
This was my thinking, but:

I mistakenly counted seven yes votes, and I thought that the hiccup was that the vote could not be finalized until a new table is completed. This was wrong, and a rereading (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1172.html) of the relevant (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1173.html) pages shows that you are correct. Six yes votes, two no votes, one attempted yes vote not completed before the motion to adjourn, and three votes plus the chair's vote not yet cast.

TBH I'm not even sure the previous yes/no votes would count. The vote as a whole is unfinished, it's entirely within reason they'd need to start it over.

KorvinStarmast
2023-06-05, 07:42 AM
I think they'd split up differently, since my working hypothesis is that at the end of the quest, V embarks on a decades long, or even (V is an elf) a centuries long quest, to try and atone for familicide.

Haley and Elan settle down somewhere. Could be Southern Continent, could be somewhere else.

Roy: honestly, I am not sure what his life-after-the-after party looks like. Once he takes out Xykon, he's free to do pretty much anything. Not sure if Celia comes back to the mortal world for him, but it would be nice if she did.

Durkon: goes home.

Belkar: is the party member who dies permanently; Kraagor was the Scribbler who died permanently. Being eaten by the Snarl is as likely as any other outcome for him.

Tzardok
2023-06-05, 08:28 AM
Maybe Roy migrates to Elemental Air instead.

Metastachydium
2023-06-05, 09:09 AM
Maybe Roy migrates to Elemental Air instead.

Probably not until after Julia finishes her studies and establishes herself in the world. Until then, I figure he'd want to stay somewhere close by, but none too close by. But I'm pretty sure he'd also want to spend more time around Celia and he's a far too decent person to have her do the travelling all the time. Plus, Air is the only place where they can still do Awkward Encounters with the Parents.

Tubercular Ox
2023-06-05, 10:05 AM
Roy is living in two villages! >_>

Peelee
2023-06-05, 10:21 AM
I could see Roy going to Dwarven lands with Durkon. At least for a bit.

Lord Torath
2023-06-05, 10:59 AM

TBH I'm not even sure the previous yes/no votes would count. The vote as a whole is unfinished, it's entirely within reason they'd need to start it over.Also, note that the No Backsies rule applies to the Godsmoot only. It doesn't apply to the Dwarven Council of Elders (who may or may not have their own version of that rule; we don't know since Rich hasn't shown us the whole rulebook).

Edreyn
2023-06-05, 12:36 PM
Maybe Elan will become ruler of Blood Empire and fix everything his evil father did.

brian 333
2023-06-05, 02:16 PM
Maybe Elan will become ruler of Blood Empire and fix everything his evil father did.

That would be a lot of work, which would make Elan unhappy.

Metastachydium
2023-06-05, 02:37 PM
Roy is living in two villages! >_>

Oh no! Quick! Someone tell him about the dolphins!

Well, everything his Evil father did involves putting it together and keeping it running. A ruler of Elan's caliber will have no trouble, khm, fixing those bits.

Doug Lampert
2023-06-05, 03:09 PM
Also, note that the No Backsies rule applies to the Godsmoot only. It doesn't apply to the Dwarven Council of Elders (who may or may not have their own version of that rule; we don't know since Rich hasn't shown us the whole rulebook).

Not being allowed to say "Wait, I want to change my vote and vote the other way!" after you've cast your vote is a pretty normal sort of rule, calling it "no backsies" is the only unusual feature.

On the other hand, some way to cancel a vote in progress due to disruption, and restart, is far from unheard of.

Metastachydium
2023-06-06, 02:50 PM
Not being allowed to say "Wait, I want to change my vote and vote the other way!" after you've cast your vote is a pretty normal sort of rule, calling it "no backsies" is the only unusual feature.

On the other hand, some way to cancel a vote in progress due to disruption, and restart, is far from unheard of.

Scrapping the not yet reached/announced "result" of a vote where the majority of participants are held at gunpoint as invalid once the guns are removed from the room sounds like a reasonably normal feature as well.

Peelee
2023-06-06, 03:09 PM
Scrapping the not yet reached/announced "result" of a vote where the majority of participants are held at gunpoint as invalid once the guns are removed from the room sounds like a reasonably normal feature as well.

Well, once the committee to investigate the guns concludes, of course. Plus any other protocols they may have, contingent on the findings.

brian 333
2023-06-06, 05:09 PM
Well, once the committee to investigate the guns concludes, of course. Plus any other protocols they may have, contingent on the findings.

The motion to delay investigations into the alleged domination of members of the council until the conclusion of the vote to end the world has been made and seconded, and the chair accepted the motion without prejudice.

Doug Lampert
2023-06-06, 06:26 PM
The motion to delay investigations into the alleged domination of members of the council until the conclusion of the vote to end the world has been made and seconded, and the chair accepted the motion without prejudice.

A multi-day or week halt in the voting due to destruction of the table the meeting is held arround strikes me as likely to be sufficient to declare a no-vote and restart. In our world, Robert's Rules of Order, a motion to adjurn is always in order and can be voted on immediately, even interrupting normal business (such as a half completed vote). Similarly, the chair can adjurn a meeting without a motion if the meeting's time is up.

It's likely that an adjurnment to eat or sleep will happen some time prior to the conclusion of this vote.

KorvinStarmast
2023-06-07, 08:14 AM
Maybe Roy migrates to Elemental Air instead. Not seeing it.
If the end game is as I suspect it is, Roy has just saved the world of OotS. He gets to enjoy that world. That's a part of his reward. Roy isn't Frodo. He isn't required to lose the world he saved.

Granted, travel to the Elemental Air plane would probably happen in due course if he's going to form a bond with Celia.
As noted in another post, the awkward meeting with her parents offers room for much hilarity. :smallcool:
Maybe living there for a while to get to know her family is part of his future.

Annon
2023-06-10, 08:40 AM
Not seeing it.
If the end game is as I suspect it is, Roy has just saved the world of OotS. He gets to enjoy that world. That's a part of his reward. Roy isn't Frodo. He isn't required to lose the world he saved.

Is elemental air part if the world he's saving? Is it just the Physical Plane that gets fried by the gods?

Metastachydium
2023-06-10, 08:43 AM
Is elemental air part if the world he's saving? Is it just the Physical Plane that gets fried by the gods?

Yup. The Snarl's prison is the Material. The Inner Planes get hit with a mindwipe, but that's all they suffer if the plug is pulled.

Tubercular Ox
2023-06-10, 09:21 AM
Yup. The Snarl's prison is the Material. The Inner Planes get hit with a mindwipe, but that's all they suffer if the plug is pulled.

So my belief was that the deva would get a mindwipe (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1147.html), and devas live on an Outer Plane. Is there more to know for that?

InvisibleBison
2023-06-10, 10:33 AM

I don't think this is a reasonable supposition. The reason a revealed plan doesn't work is because it's boring for the audience to see something play out according to the play that they've already been informed about - it's basically watching the same thing happen twice. But in this case, the part we know about, Redcloak helping seal the rifts, isn't the plan. Rather, it's the goal, the thing the plan is trying to achieve. The actual plan is "somehow convince Redcloak to help", which the Order doesn't have any idea how to do and which it would be quite interesting to see them pull off.

Metastachydium
2023-06-10, 10:47 AM
So my belief was that the deva would get a mindwipe (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1147.html), and devas live on an Outer Plane. Is there more to know for that?

"We have to wipe all the outsiders' memories" (emphasis mine) is the specific wording used in the strip you linked yourself; the Snarl's prison is consistently shown to be the Material and the Material alone; and Durkon considers Hilgya's plan to jump over to the Plane of Earth sound and safe enough to endorse it (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1181.html).

Tubercular Ox
2023-06-10, 11:05 AM
"We have to wipe all the outsiders' memories" (emphasis mine) is the specific wording used in the strip you linked yourself; the Snarl's prison is consistently shown to be the Material and the Material alone; and Durkon considers Hilgya's plan to jump over to the Plane of Earth sound and safe enough to endorse it (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1181.html).

Okay, I see my problem. I forgot to connect the post before yours to what you were saying. Now I'm embarrassed.

Metastachydium
2023-06-11, 12:20 PM
Okay, I see my problem. I forgot to connect the post before yours to what you were saying. Now I'm embarrassed.

Happens all the time! Carry on, citizen!

KorvinStarmast
2023-06-11, 01:53 PM
Is elemental air part if the world he's saving? Is it just the Physical Plane that gets fried by the gods? My understanding is that they are sufficiently sufficient that air remains when the material gets consumed. (Which seems to fit into the other responses you go).

Precure
2023-06-27, 04:26 PM

Just because Redcloak accepts it doesn't mean Dark One follow the suit. They still need to get Dark One's help to patch it.

Peelee
2023-06-27, 07:36 PM
Just because Redcloak accepts it doesn't mean Dark One follow the suit. They still need to get Dark One's help to patch it.

Yeah, but Redcloak's acceptance and help would be a proof of concept that The Dark One is integral to saving the world, which is a powerful card to play that he currently has but isn't aware of. Being aware of that could bring him back to the table to negotiate - a bird in the hand vs one in the bush, in this case.

Precure
2023-06-28, 03:31 AM
Yeah, but Redcloak's acceptance and help would be a proof of concept that The Dark One is integral to saving the world, which is a powerful card to play that he currently has but isn't aware of. Being aware of that could bring him back to the table to negotiate - a bird in the hand vs one in the bush, in this case.

I mean, it's still possible for Redcloak to be a gatekeeper like op suggested.

Mic_128
2023-06-28, 04:17 AM

"Per article [number] outside interference has caused our previous vote to be declared null and void, and votes will begin again fresh as of this session."

Bam, easy.

brian 333
2023-06-28, 07:20 AM
"Per article [number] outside interference has caused our previous vote to be declared null and void, and votes will begin again fresh as of this session."

Bam, easy.

Assuming such an article or clause exists.

If not, and if the world is saved, I bet adding such a clause is the debate of the next century in the council.

Tzardok
2023-06-28, 07:37 AM
Pretty fast for politicians from such a long lived race.

grandpheonix
2023-07-14, 08:56 PM
Makes sense. So maybe I'll edit the premisse and Redcloak doesn't help them

Please don't remove it. I really love this idea!

Errorname
2023-07-17, 06:39 AM
I don't think there's any version of this where the Order retires same as the Scribblers did. In part that's because their goals were different, the Order of the Stick are trying to stop the gates from being exploited while the Scribblers were trying to seal the rifts and stop the snarl. By the time the Scribblers went their separate ways, they'd already sealed the rifts. Even if the Order beats Xykon and Redcloak before the last gate is destroyed and the world ends, the rifts still need to be sealed. That's a whole other adventure! It'd mean fighting Tarquin again, liberating Azure City, dealing with whatever nonsense is happening with the other two gates.

I also don't think it'll end that way because it's clear that something tore the Scribblers apart. They did not return home conquering heroes, they hated each other by the end. They didn't take a gate each because it was the most efficient strategy, but because they couldn't stand to work together anymore. If the Order takes up the same plan, it means they've just repeated what happened to their predecessors. I think they'll get a happier ending than that.

But in the hypothetical bad ending, V in the Elven Forests, Elan in the Windy Canyon, Haley in Azure City, Roy in the Redmountains and Durkon in the north. Obviously.

KorvinStarmast
2023-07-18, 08:06 AM
I don't think there's any version of this where the Order retires same as the Scribblers did. In part that's because their goals were different, the Order of the Stick are trying to stop the gates from being exploited while the Scribblers were trying to seal the rifts and stop the snarl. Not to mention that the order of the stick had a chance to break up and didn't, and they lived through the disaster that was splitting the party in DStP. Their bonds have strengthened over time, and their leader has become a better one over time.

fighting Tarquin again, liberating Azure City, dealing with whatever nonsense is happening with the other two gates. I don't think so. The Azurites are now established in a new home land (thanks to Darth V's awesome teleport) and I think Gobbotopia remains as a viable city state / nation as part of the story's end. Also, Ian and Amun Zora will deal with Tarquin thanks to Elan's good plan.

Elan's getting that happy ending (per the Oracle) means that he and Haley end up together somewhere. V's ending strikes me as either making the ultimate sacrifice during a final battle with IFCC, or something else, or (and this to me is more likely) embarking on a "rest of V's life" quest to make amends for familicide if that is even possible. The effort will be made.

Errorname
2023-07-18, 04:14 PM
I don't think so. The Azurites are now established in a new home land (thanks to Darth V's awesome teleport) and I think Gobbotopia remains as a viable city state / nation as part of the story's end. Also, Ian and Amun Zora will deal with Tarquin thanks to Elan's good plan.

You're assuming I was making a serious prediction there.

If the Order's quest were to become resealing the gates, that would mean securing the open rifts, two of which are in territory controlled by enemy factions. Going after the the Western rift would mean facing Tarquin again, going after the Azure City rift would mean retaking the city. That neither of these things are likely to happen is a reason I do not think the order will be repairing the gates and doing the thing the scribblers did

However this ends, it ends at the North Pole and the Final Gate.

Coppercloud
2023-07-18, 05:29 PM
But in the hypothetical bad ending, V in the Elven Forests, Elan in the Windy Canyon, Haley in Azure City, Roy in the Redmountains and Durkon in the north. Obviously.

I know this is an hypothetical that you don't seriously defend, but wouldn't Durkon be a more appropriate guardian for the rift in the Elven Lands?
https://forums.giantitp.com/images/smilies/oots/durkon.gif Och, ye'all dinnae un'erstand! Tha gate must be protected against tha most terrible o' enemies: tha trees!

Which, considering Start of Darkness, isn't even totally wrong.

Errorname
2023-07-18, 08:01 PM
Hmm, I don't think so. You want a guardian who doesn't get tunnel-visioned on a single enemy type. Durkon in the forest ends up with the most reliable anti-tree defenses imaginable but forgets to account for like Kobolds or something and KRACKKAKOOM!

My order also puts Durkon and V close to their homelands and families, which I think they'd appreciate.

Metastachydium
2023-07-19, 01:52 PM
Which, considering Start of Darkness, isn't even totally wrong.

Hey, they didn't want to be on fire!

My order also puts Durkon and V close to their homelands and families, which I think they'd appreciate.

Durkon, certainly; V… That's messier business already. (For starters, to what extent is their family still their family? And when was it, for the last time?)

KorvinStarmast
2023-07-20, 03:14 PM
Hey, they didn't want to be on fire!

Durkon, certainly; V… That's messier business already. (For starters, to what extent is their family still their family? And when was it, for the last time?)
V signed the divorce papers in the early part of Book V. (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0679.html)

Metastachydium
2023-07-20, 03:25 PM
V signed the divorce papers in the early part of Book V. (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0679.html)

Yes, I know. Hence my doubt they'd like to be close to not-exactly-home-anymore.

Errorname
2023-07-20, 08:31 PM
Yes, I know. Hence my doubt they'd like to be close to not-exactly-home-anymore.

Assuming nothing kills them V has a lot of life left to live, and I expect they will spend the rest of it trying to make amends. I do not think they would turn down the chance to try and make things right with Inky and their children.

Metastachydium
2023-07-21, 06:52 AM
Assuming nothing kills them V has a lot of life left to live, and I expect they will spend the rest of it trying to make amends. I do not think they would turn down the chance to try and make things right with Inky and their children.

Assuming nothing kills V, they'll have a lot more on their plate than just reuniting with a family that doesn't really need them.