Speed: 5 ft, fly 30 ft

Str: 3 (-4)
Dex: 13 (+1)
Con: 10 (+0)
Int: 1 (-5)
Wis: 7 (-2)
Cha: 1 (-5)

Damage Resistances: bludgeoning, piercing, slashing
Condition Immunities: charmed, frightened, grappled, paralyzed, petrified, prone, restrained, stunned
Senses: blindsight 10 ft, Passive Perception 8
Challenge: 1

Swarm: The swarm can occupy another creature's space and vice versa, and the swarm can move through any opening large enough for a Tiny insect. The swarm can't regain hit points or gain temporary hit points.

ACTIONS
Bites (swarm has more than half HP). Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 0 ft., one target in the swarm's space. Hit: (4d6) piercing damage.

Bites (swarm has half HP or less). Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 0 ft., one target in the swarm's space. Hit: (2d6) piercing damage.

Colony Of Wasps
Large swarm of tiny beasts, unaligned

Armor Class: 12 (natural armor)
Hit Points: 49 (9d10)

Condition Immunities: charmed, frightened, grappled, paralyzed, petrified, prone, restrained, stunned
Challenge: 2

Swarm: The swarm can occupy another creature's space and vice versa, and the swarm can move through any opening large enough for a Tiny insect. The swarm can't regain hit points or gain temporary hit points.

ACTIONS
Bites (swarm has more than half HP). Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 0 ft., one target in the swarm's space. Hit: (4d6) piercing damage.

Bites (swarm has half HP or less). Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 0 ft., one target in the swarm's space. Hit: (2d6) piercing damage.

Migration Of Wasps
Huge swarm of tiny beasts, unaligned

Hit Points: 71 (11d12)

Challenge: 3

ACTIONS
Bites (swarm has more than half HP). Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 0 ft., one target in the swarm's space. Hit: (4d8) piercing damage.

Bites (swarm has half HP or less). Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 0 ft., one target in the swarm's space. Hit: (2d8) piercing damage.

Plague Of Wasps
Huge swarm of tiny beasts, unaligned

Hit Points: 84 (13d12)

Challenge: 4

ACTIONS
Bites (swarm has more than half HP). Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 0 ft., one target in the swarm's space. Hit: (4d8) piercing damage.

Bites (swarm has half HP or less). Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 0 ft., one target in the swarm's space. Hit: (2d8) piercing damage.

Apocalypse Of Wasps
Gargantuan swarm of tiny beasts, unaligned

Hit Points: 157 (15d20)

Challenge: 6

ACTIONS
Bites (swarm has more than half HP). Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 0 ft., one target in the swarm's space. Hit: (4d10) piercing damage.

Bites (swarm has half HP or less). Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 0 ft., one target in the swarm's space. Hit: (2d10) piercing damage.

Beni-Kujaku
2023-06-05, 06:35 AM
What's this? A handsome Homebrew forum woefully unpopulated by bees? A large influx of BEES oughta put a stop to that!

Wait? Those are not BEES! Those are wasps! Treason and blasphemy! We should add a variant with more BEES! Maybe with more damage but slower? Or who lose some HP each time they deal damage to represent the myth that bees die when they sting (which is already abundantly represented in d&d)?

Anyway, these are... a bit bland. Why not add some poison to your swarm attack, with a Con save against being poisoned for 10 minutes and taking 2d6 (or 1d6) more damage? Also, something called an Apocalypse being CR 6 is a bit disappointing. I'm not even sure it's worth CR 6, in fact. Why not bend a bit the rules of swarms and add an attack on each square covered by the swarm to represent the Garg swarm being multiple smaller swarms coming together?

H_H_F_F
2023-06-05, 04:13 PM
Hi AV!

Cool low level encounter idea. I'd maybe mention "can't enter water" or the like, as that's the IRL way to deal with a swarm like this a lot of the time. It's also a fun mechanic - don't fight, just dive in the pond. And then goblins come and take your stuff from the shore.

Also, why bites and no stings? And as Beni asked, why no poison damage / poisoned condition on a failed save? I'd consider lowering the piercing damage while upping other effects, if you want a more simulationist approach.

If you aren't too attached to keeping it simple, you could even do cascading effect on each failed save - poisoned to blinded to helpless, or what have you.

Either way, great idea, but I think it requires a bit more polish to make it really feel like a swarm of bees wasps.

2023-06-05, 04:22 PM
Hi AV!

Cool low level encounter idea. I'd maybe mention "can't enter water" or the like, as that's the IRL way to deal with a swarm like this a lot of the time. It's also a fun mechanic - don't fight, just dive in the pond. And then goblins come and take your stuff from the shore.

Also, why bites and no stings? And as Beni asked, why no poison damage / poisoned condition on a failed save? I'd consider lowering the piercing damage while upping other effects, if you want a more simulationist approach.

If you aren't too attached to keeping it simple, you could even do cascading effect on each failed save - poisoned to blinded to helpless, or what have you.

Either way, great idea, but I think it requires a bit more polish to make it really feel like a swarm of bees wasps.

Goal was primarily to get some alternate wild shape forms. I've got a vermin druid in a game, but for fluff reasons they only wanna turn into swarms of bees/wasps, but that falls apart at higher levels. This keeps it nice and simple so DM will maybe approve. :P

but I've also been brainstorming about a hypothetical swarm more deserving of the Apocalypse Of Wasps title. CR 30, AoE attacks like have been described, heavy obscurement within the swarm, light obscurement and blindsight for a good ways out from the main swarm, and "immunity: single-target effects".

JNAProductions
2023-06-05, 07:19 PM
Goal was primarily to get some alternate wild shape forms. I've got a vermin druid in a game, but for fluff reasons they only wanna turn into swarms of bees/wasps, but that falls apart at higher levels. This keeps it nice and simple so DM will maybe approve. :P

but I've also been brainstorming about a hypothetical swarm more deserving of the Apocalypse Of Wasps title. CR 30, AoE attacks like have been described, heavy obscurement within the swarm, light obscurement and blindsight for a good ways out from the main swarm, and "immunity: single-target effects".

As the DM of the game, I don't see any issue with your PC assuming the creatures in the original post, at the appropriate levels.
An actual Apocalypse of Wasps, though... Not so much. :P