PDA

View Full Version : So we had an in-game montage

TheOOB
2007-12-05, 10:49 PM
I normally don't bother posting the goings on of my gaming sessions, but I thought this one was too good to keep to myself.

We where playing 7th Sea, and I had the previous session mentioned that I had never drawn my sword for anything other then dramatic effect(eg I hadn't attacked with it) for almost a dozen sessions(my character is a gun fighter, not a sword fighter), so my GM decided to take it upon himself to ensure I got into a good old sword fight. I was visited in my townhouse in Eisen(Germany) by one of my old rivals. After I saw him I immediately drew my gun and pointed it at his head. Since he was a member of the swordsman guild them meant I accidently challenged him to a duel, and my swordsman friend was out of town so I couldn't use him as a second.

Since I hadn't used my sword in so long, my sword skill was regrettably low, but unfortunately even though I had the XP to raise it, I didn't have enough time to train the skill up before the next day. I called upon the power of drama and convinced my GM to let me buy a fencing skill point under the condition that we have an in game montage of my training. During which we had scenes of us finding an old drunk swordmaster and sobering him up to train me, me performing elaborate feints and stumbling less and less each time, and me fighting on top of one of the cross beams of a ships mast, getting knocked off in progressively less and less embarrassing ways, only for the camera to zoom out and reveal that the beam is suspended only a few feet above ground.

Anyways, I won the fight, and had a lot of fun doing it. So anyways, what memorable dramatic moments such as this have you had in your gaming sessions that you all would like to share?

Rama_Lei
2007-12-05, 10:56 PM
That is very much so a Dashing Swordsman class feature.

Rockphed
2007-12-05, 11:13 PM
Dashing Swordsmen Rama! Dashing! But yes, it does sound like a Dashing Swordsman class feature.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-05, 11:13 PM
My favorite's always been when my halfling theif-acrobat was flying down the mountainside with a gnome holding a flaming longsword on his back. :smallbiggrin:

TheOOB
2007-12-05, 11:31 PM
Well, 7th Sea is like Dashing Swordsman the game. The duration of a turn is however long it takes a hero to do something cool, it's assumed that any room where there could being something to swing on (eg a chandelier) there is, and the players acually get more xp for being dramatic.

Human Paragon 3
2007-12-06, 12:43 AM
That's pretty sweet, dude. And pretty funny as well. I think the retraining rules from the PHB II should require a montage.

tsuyoshikentsu
2007-12-06, 01:39 AM
I think, basically, every game should require montages.