PDA

View Full Version : DM Help looking for creative sources on monster abilities

Aurich
2023-06-04, 04:00 AM
I'm looking for sites that explain or host rules or tips to create interesting home-brew monsters.

Things like abilities that enhances the standard dnd fight to more dynamic situations. and ways to determine their balance in the game.

example:

To design a nova ability to push all combatants away so the monster can move again without tons of aoo (there is disengage, yea) to create space to do monster stuff.
Stances for a boss.
mechanisms to implement in a boosfight to make it more intersting etc.

So any sites or so that one knows?

Unoriginal
2023-06-04, 04:42 AM
I'm looking for sites that explain or host rules or tips to create interesting home-brew monsters.

Things like abilities that enhances the standard dnd fight to more dynamic situations. and ways to determine their balance in the game.

example:

To design a nova ability to push all combatants away so the monster can move again without tons of aoo (there is disengage, yea) to create space to do monster stuff.
Stances for a boss.
mechanisms to implement in a boosfight to make it more intersting etc.

So any sites or so that one knows?

What do you think of the DMG section on the topic?

psycopuppy
2023-06-15, 01:20 PM
Flee Mortals! - Matthew Colville and the gang over at MCDM created a bunch of monsters that basically have "roles" (kinda like how 4e was, or so I hear.) Basically, depending on the role of the creature, it gets special abilities that give it a more dynamic and tactical edge.

Action Oriented Monsters - MCDM again. Replaces legendary actions with a specific action that trigger once and is themed towards that particular monster. Template is usually movement on round one, detrimental effect on round 2-3, super nova effect right before the boss dies

Legendary Eminence - from Running off the Rails podcast; is basically a themed aura of some kind that loses power as the creature uses it's legendary actions.

You can also use chatgpt and ask it for ideas.