PDA

View Full Version : Non-psionic Half-giant?

brian c
2007-12-05, 11:25 PM
I don't know of any published variation of the half-giant race without psionics, but if you took those things away would it be a balanced LA 0? To recap, it would be medium-sized with powerful build, +2 str and con, -2 dex, +2 saves vs. fire effects, and low-light vision. Giant type, so not a valid target for Enlarge Person and other spells.

LA 0? Or would it still be LA +1?

Laurellien
2007-12-05, 11:30 PM
In balance terms it should be LA +2 thanks to all of that. However, removing its psionics would technically drop it to LA +0

Nebo_
2007-12-05, 11:33 PM
In balance terms it should be LA +2 thanks to all of that.
I disagree.

Powerful build is what makes the half giant +1 LA, the psionics are just gravy.

Laurellien
2007-12-05, 11:39 PM
But even a bonus power point is considered to be worth +1LA, don't forget either that Half-giants have unbalanced ability score modifiers. The powerful build on its own is worth +1LA.

The_Snark
2007-12-05, 11:48 PM
But even a bonus power point is considered to be worth +1LA, don't forget either that Half-giants have unbalanced ability score modifiers. The powerful build on its own is worth +1LA.

No, it isn't. Elans, maenads, and xephs all get bonus power points. Any race that gets a +1 LA just for having a bonus power point (blues) is in a sorry state.

Powerful build is probably still worth the LA, though.

brian c
2007-12-05, 11:50 PM
Hm... so basically, half-giants probably deserve a +2 LA as written; if you take out psionics they're still +1.

Human Paragon 3
2007-12-05, 11:53 PM
In a nutshell, yes.

NEO|Phyte
2007-12-05, 11:56 PM
No, it isn't. Elans, maenads, and xephs all get bonus power points. Any race that gets a +1 LA just for having a bonus power point (blues) is in a sorry state.

its not just the bonus power point thats giving the blues their LA, they also have the audacity to boost a mental stat without being an elf subrace.

Nebo_
2007-12-06, 12:31 AM
Hm... so basically, half-giants probably deserve a +2 LA as written; if you take out psionics they're still +1.

No. Half Giants are a good +1. Most of the XPH races and the Kalashtar get a PP boost and they're still LA +0. Taking psionics from a Half Giant just makes it a weaker +1.

Kantolin
2007-12-06, 06:01 AM
Any race that gets a +1 LA just for having a bonus power point (blues) is in a sorry state.

Oh, my poor, poor Blue Paladin.

Who remained a Blue Paladin even my DM and I discovered the +1 LA of awful cripplage. Had to keep reminding people that my power point is getting in the way of my having divine grace this level.

Alex12
2007-12-06, 09:39 AM
Oh, my poor, poor Blue Paladin.

Who remained a Blue Paladin even my DM and I discovered the +1 LA of awful cripplage. Had to keep reminding people that my power point is getting in the way of my having divine grace this level.
I've seen rules for eliminating LA in a WotC publication before, but I can't recall where. Basically, once you hit any multiple of 3 and your LA in class levels, you can choose to, instead of advancing, remove that LA. So an LA of 1 could be removed at levels 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, or 18.

I'll try to find the rules later.

Mewtarthio
2007-12-06, 09:42 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm

Alex12
2007-12-06, 09:47 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm

Huh, I searched that site, and didn't find anything.:smallconfused: Oh, well, no biggie.