PDA

View Full Version : Sanctuary and cure wounds at level 1

Returnip
2023-06-04, 12:58 PM
Hey, so I just gotta get this straight. In the 3.5 PHB the text explains that one use of the spell Sanctuary can be to be able to heal your friends and not get attacked while doing so. But the spell has a duration of 1 round per level. At level 1 this means it would end before the caster's next turn making it impossible to use the spell to shield yourself while casting cure wounds on a friend at level 1. Is this correct or am I missing something?

Troacctid
2023-06-04, 01:06 PM
That is correct. Many spells with a duration of 1 round/level are underwhelming at CL 1. I would recommend preparing a different spell instead until you have a higher caster level.

Eldonauran
2023-06-04, 01:51 PM
Hey, so I just gotta get this straight. In the 3.5 PHB the text explains that one use of the spell Sanctuary can be to be able to heal your friends and not get attacked while doing so. But the spell has a duration of 1 round per level. At level 1 this means it would end before the caster's next turn making it impossible to use the spell to shield yourself while casting cure wounds on a friend at level 1. Is this correct or am I missing something?It should end at the END of the caster's next turn. Troacctid is correct in their response about the spell. Spells like Summon Monster or Summon Nature's Ally are similar 1 rd/caster level spells that don't really seem worth while at low level.

Returnip
2023-06-04, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the response. I mean I can see use for it anyway, like if you're hurt and need to withdraw but otherwise might attract AoO's. And summon monster at least allows the summoned creatures to immediately attack and potentially do some damage.

KillianHawkeye
2023-06-04, 10:15 PM
It should end at the END of the caster's next turn.

That's incorrect. No spell duration ever runs out at the end of your turn. If you cast a spell with 1 round duration, it begins on your turn and ends just before your turn 1 round later.

JNAProductions
2023-06-04, 10:56 PM
That's incorrect. No spell duration ever runs out at the end of your turn. If you cast a spell with 1 round duration, it begins on your turn and ends just before your turn 1 round later.

They weren’t saying that that’s the RAW.
They were saying that that is a better way of making the spell work.

At least, that’s how I read their post.

Eldonauran
2023-06-05, 10:15 AM
They weren’t saying that that’s the RAW.
They were saying that that is a better way of making the spell work.

At least, that’s how I read their post.Correct. Thank you.

When RAW gets in the way of the verisimilitude of gameplay, I disregard it for the sake of RAI. If you spend a standard action casting a spell that has a one round duration, it makes sense that it ends after your next standard action in the initiative order. As combat turns are already a simulation of simultaneous activity over the course of six seconds, I give that spell the full six seconds to last.

So, RAW or not, I play the game where abilities and spells actually do something useful, even at 1st level.

KillianHawkeye
2023-06-05, 11:09 AM
I see. I'd suggest being more explicit when you're stating a house rule, as "should" can be interpreted in different ways.

Anyways, carry on. :smallsmile:

Eldonauran
2023-06-05, 02:01 PM
I see. I'd suggest being more explicit when you're stating a house rule, as "should" can be interpreted in different ways.

Anyways, carry on. :smallsmile:
I generally recommend the interpretation that results in less conflict and less chance for disagreements when first reading something before asking for clarifications. That is, if we are just making helpful suggestions.

KillianHawkeye
2023-06-07, 03:03 AM
I generally recommend the interpretation that results in less conflict and less chance for disagreements when first reading something before asking for clarifications. That is, if we are just making helpful suggestions.

This is a discussion forum. Our objective is not to avoid disagreements, but to seek out different viewpoints.

If peoples' statements are communicated clearly, then we won't have to guess what their meaning is. Most of us are not mind readers. All of us posting here want our words to be understood, or else what's the point of posting, so taking steps to ensure clarity isn't an unreasonable goal.

Eldonauran
2023-06-07, 10:18 AM
This is a discussion forum. Our objective is not to avoid disagreements, but to seek out different viewpoints.

If peoples' statements are communicated clearly, then we won't have to guess what their meaning is. Most of us are not mind readers. All of us posting here want our words to be understood, or else what's the point of posting, so taking steps to ensure clarity isn't an unreasonable goal.I'd hazard to think that the purpose of discussion forums would need no clarifications. Is this another helpful suggestion?

Eladrinblade
2023-06-07, 11:05 AM
You could cast it on an ally who is delaying their turn until right after yours, then that ally runs through a room full of enemies for some reason. Other than that I wouldn't bother with it until mid-levels.

KillianHawkeye
2023-06-08, 01:17 AM
I'd hazard to think that the purpose of discussion forums would need no clarifications. Is this another helpful suggestion?

Yes, since your suggestion was to avoid conflict and inhibit discussion whereas mine was to enable clearer communication, I thought you might have misunderstood the purpose of a discussion forum. I understand this can be a difficult concept, so I hope I've cleared it up for you now. You're welcome! :smallwink::smallamused::smallsmile: