PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Dash of Rogue in a Slayer Build?

Palanan
2023-06-06, 12:58 PM
I have a new player who’s building a slayer, starting at second level. I’m wondering if I should suggest Unchained Rogue 1/Slayer 1 instead of Slayer 2.

With URogue he’ll get free Weapon Finesse and sneak attack, which could pair well with TWF and the slayer’s studied target. Would that make for a better package than Slayer 2?

Eldonauran
2023-06-06, 01:41 PM
Better package can mean several different things. Are you maximizing the benefits for the immediate future, without much regard to what comes later? Because that combo gets you plenty of firepower at level 2, but you miss out on Slayer/Rogue Talents that comes into play at 2nd level. You delay evasion access and dex to damage on the rogue side, as well as Debilitating Injury.

If you are going to dip Unchained Rogue, I recommend taking 4 levels of it ASAP because that is going to more of use to your long term effectiveness than Slayer levels.

Palanan
2023-06-06, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Eldonauran
Are you maximizing the benefits for the immediate future, without much regard to what comes later? Because that combo gets you plenty of firepower at level 2, but you miss out on Slayer/Rogue Talents that comes into play at 2nd level.

Definitely maximizing for the present and near-term. I want his character to be fun and effective in the first session. Plus he only gets one feat (non-human, so no human bonus feat) and TWF seems like it would provide the most benefit.

That said, I’m open to other suggestions. The player is new to Pathfinder and doesn’t have any sense of a specific role, so he’s mainly approaching the character in terms of flavor. The party is in real need of a frontliner, and he’s gravitated towards slayer, so that’s what we’re working with.

Kurald Galain
2023-06-06, 02:20 PM
If he's a new player, I suggest not multiclassing, and sticking with either sneak attack or studied target but not juggling both immediately.

If he wants str-primary, go slayer; if dex-primary, go u-rogue. You can always reconsider multiclassing after a couple levels.

Thunder999
2023-06-06, 04:36 PM
Slayer has no need for finesse, you just use Slayer Talents to get Ranger Combat Styles for strength based TWF (TWF is the only reason you'd even want dex, slayers get decent armour, and if dipping is on the table then fighter dip for combat feat and heavy armour exists)

Eldonauran
2023-06-06, 05:11 PM
Slayer has no need for finesse, you just use Slayer Talents to get Ranger Combat Styles for strength based TWF (TWF is the only reason you'd even want dex, slayers get decent armour, and if dipping is on the table then fighter dip for combat feat and heavy armour exists)This is the very reason why I asked about immediate versus long term planning. Ranger Combat styles are something you need to plan for and work towards.