PDA

View Full Version : Looking to see if a weapon exists

Buufreak
2023-06-08, 01:45 PM
So, doing more Zelda game design, running into Iron Knuckle. In the 64 era, they have just the most ridiculous of giant axes possible. This thing should, within all reason, weigh dozens of pounds and be able to hew a person in half with minimal momentum.

So does that exist in 3rd edition? I know 4th has the exotic weapon of an executioner axe. Dealt 1d12, and had a quality that let you reroll any damage dice that came up 1 or 2, effectively imposing a higher minimum damage.

Tzardok
2023-06-08, 01:55 PM
Is there a reason you can't just add a rider "This creature can wield an axe one size larger (or two sizes larger; whatever you need) without penalties"?

tyckspoon
2023-06-08, 02:06 PM
With the way 3.5 item sizing works if you want a Really Big Axe, you just.. make a Really Big Axe. And then go look for the appropriate magic item/feat/racial trait that allows you to wield it because each size step increase changes the amount of effort needed (Light - One Handed - Two Handed) and you can't wield something that goes past two-handed normally.

There's also the 'Heavy' construction property in Magic of Faerun - it's a 3rd Edition book instead of 3.5, but how it works is compatible with 3.5 without any real major changes. Represents a weapon that is made of something heavier than standard steel, increases the damage die of the weapon by one size step in exchange for requiring Exotic Weapon Proficiency to wield normally.

I'm not aware of an existing 'it's just an abnormally big axe' weapon outside of those, but having something that deals +1 size damage or has an improved critical value in exchange for requiring Exotic Weapon Proficiency is pretty standard for 3.5 weapon design; you could just add one in and I don't think anybody would argue about it.

Edit: Specifically for Iron Knuckles I would probably just give them a Large axe and make wielding an oversized weapon a property of their armor. They've got a lesser version of the magic of the Silver Gauntlets embedded in it or something.

Biggus
2023-06-08, 06:03 PM
With the way 3.5 item sizing works if you want a Really Big Axe, you just.. make a Really Big Axe. And then go look for the appropriate magic item/feat/racial trait that allows you to wield it because each size step increase changes the amount of effort needed (Light - One Handed - Two Handed) and you can't wield something that goes past two-handed normally. [...]

I'm not aware of an existing 'it's just an abnormally big axe' weapon outside of those, but having something that deals +1 size damage or has an improved critical value in exchange for requiring Exotic Weapon Proficiency is pretty standard for 3.5 weapon design; you could just add one in and I don't think anybody would argue about it.

For comparison, the (3.0) A&EG had the fullblade, an exotic sword which did 2d8 damage. I'm not aware of an axe equivalent, but +2 average damage for a feat is hardly overpowered.

Failing that, in 3.5 there's the Strongarm Bracers (MIC) which for 6,000GP allows you to wield weapons one size category larger without penalty. Goliaths and half-giants get the powerful build racial trait, and if he's eligible for epic feats in CW there's Wield Oversized Weapon (although it's weak for an epic feat, you could easily make it nonepic without breaking anything).

Doctor Despair
2023-06-08, 08:38 PM
The MM4 has the greathorn minotaur greathammer. It's an exotic 2-handed weapon with 1d12 19-20/x4 that grants +2 to sunder enemy weapons or shields. That's probably the closest you'll find?

Edit: Typo

Biggus
2023-06-08, 09:20 PM
The MM4 has the greathorn minotaur greathammer. It's an exotic 2-handed weapon with 1d20 19-20/x4 that grants +2 to sunder enemy weapons or shields. That's probably the closest you'll find?

Is 1d20 a typo? My copy of MM4 says 1d12 for a medium creature and 3d6 for a large one.

Doctor Despair
2023-06-08, 11:56 PM
Is 1d20 a typo? My copy of MM4 says 1d12 for a medium creature and 3d6 for a large one.

Yes, that's a typo; sorry about that.

As I see it was a topic of discussion earlier, this is also of note. A character with a greater titan bloodline gains this at level 12:

Use oversized weapon (Ex)*

* As the titan special ability.

Oversized Weapon (Ex)
A titan wields a great, two-handed warhammer (big enough for Gargantuan creatures) without penalty.

spectralphoenix
2023-06-09, 02:16 PM
Pathfinder also has the Butchering Axe (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/weapon-descriptions/axe-butchering/)

YellowJohn
2023-06-12, 10:06 AM
The Fullblade has been mentioned.
The Fullblade is basically a Bastard Sword for a creature 1 size category bigger than you fitted with an appropriate handle.

You can do the same thing to the Dwarven Waraxe: make it 1 size too big, use the EWP to make it a 1-handed weapon you can wield in 2 hands. I'd make it 90gp, 2d8 damage, crit 20/x3, 30 lbs.

See also the Sugliin (Frostburn, p.76). But honestly, why would you?

KillianHawkeye
2023-06-12, 12:34 PM
Honestly, with something like a Zelda-style setting, you're probably already doing some customized things. So I'd just make a feat called Iron Knuckle Axe Training that lets them wield an oversized axe without penalty (or call it Iron Knuckle Weapon Training if you want to let them wield other oversized weapons).