PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Spellfire Channeler feat help

RNightstalker
2023-06-08, 05:45 PM
It looks like my goal of trying out the Spellfire Channeler will be happening soon. I've got my build mostly fleshed out, but my biggest uncertainty is in the feats.

Essentials of the build:
Warmage1/HumanParagon3/Cleric1/SpellfireChanneler10/UrbanSoul1/Fortune'sFriend4 up to 20th level.

Current Feats:
Flaw1: Action Before Thought--Non-combatant
Flaw2: Mind Over Body--Unreactive
L1: Spellfire Wielder
H1: Moment of Perfect Mind
HP2: Lucky Start
L3: Endurance
L6: Knowledge Devotion
L9: Weapon Focus: Spellfire
L12: (Far Shot)
L15: Advantageous Avoidance
L18: Unbelievable Luck
FF2: Third Time's The Charm
FF4: Tempting Fate

So I figured Warmage for more spells/day, specifically True Strike. Why have the ability to throw around the spellfire if you can't hit? Human Paragon for the skills, feat and ability boost. Cleric for the Elf (True Strike domain spell) and Luck (reroll) domains. Urban Soul for the con boost, Fortune's Friend for the luck.

I was hoping to do the far shot to get Distant Shot once we hit epic levels, but that isn't going to work. I could grab another luck feat.

I plan on playing along the lines of what's written as far as flaunting spellfire putting a target on your back for red wizards. The question is what feats will synergize with this build? IIRC there are feats that let you use other ability modifiers for other saves. With Chosen of Mystra template already approved, CN will be big.

The more I think about it though, I can use the 1st level CoM spell-like ability on True strike, plus a few items to do the same, and just simplify it with a total Swordsage chassis.

So besides the do another class crowd, any ideas playground?

Biggus
2023-06-08, 06:40 PM
Since you have to take Endurance, possibly Steadfast Determination for your L.12 feat?

Anthrowhale
2023-06-08, 06:51 PM
You might consider using the spontaneous domain ACF for the cleric to get more true strike.

The concentration based saves require a higher initiator level, so you'll want to shuffle feats.

Improved Critical[spellfire] is "ok".

Cloistered Cleric is always helpful and would free up a feat for you by providing an alternative means of Knowledge Devotion.

I'm not sure how much cheese you want to play with, but it's possible to get a substantially higher con bonus off of race. Dragonborn Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale has a con bonus of +6. If you then level as Whale 3/Warmage 1/Cleric 1/Shaper of form 1 you can change your race to 'human' while keeping all attributes. Then, you can take Dragonborn again and take three levels of Human Paragon to look like Human Warmage 1/Cleric 1/Shaper of Form 1/Human Paragon 3 and acquire Dragonborn again to get a con bonus of +10. (More ideally, you would drain off the Shaper of Form level after the transformation and before gaining other levels.)

Saintheart
2023-06-08, 06:59 PM
I'll come back with some more detailed thoughts later, but a couple of interesting hooks on spellfire are that (a) it's a (Su) ability, so anything that enhances supernatural abilities applies, and (b) the rules for spellfire say that although it's a (Su) ability, "magic items and spells" that affect SLAs also affect spellfire. Which means Bracers of the Entangling Blast work on it.

That aside, though, I would really look for anything you could find that scales up with levels, because those Spellfire Channeller levels are empty as hell, don't advance spellcasting, and have a BAB 5/10. If I had to make a one-level suggestion, it'd be build towards Rogue and take Craven, at least that way your spellfire gets some sneak attack damage in it -- and that damage might well be extra spellfire damage (since it's not a spell and therefore appears to sneak through Rules Compendium's painful rules on spell damage being always hitpoint damage.)

As said, will try and look up more specific stuff later.

EDIT: First one - Empower Supernatural Ability. 1/day you might as well boost the spellfire's damage.

RNightstalker
2023-06-08, 07:43 PM
Since you have to take Endurance, possibly Steadfast Determination for your L.12 feat?

Is there one for reflex too? lol

You might consider using the spontaneous domain ACF for the cleric to get more true strike.

The concentration based saves require a higher initiator level, so you'll want to shuffle feats.

Improved Critical[spellfire] is "ok".

Cloistered Cleric is always helpful and would free up a feat for you by providing an alternative means of Knowledge Devotion.

I'm not sure how much cheese you want to play with, but it's possible to get a substantially higher con bonus off of race. Dragonborn Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale has a con bonus of +6. If you then level as Whale 3/Warmage 1/Cleric 1/Shaper of form 1 you can change your race to 'human' while keeping all attributes. Then, you can take Dragonborn again and take three levels of Human Paragon to look like Human Warmage 1/Cleric 1/Shaper of Form 1/Human Paragon 3 and acquire Dragonborn again to get a con bonus of +10. (More ideally, you would drain off the Shaper of Form level after the transformation and before gaining other levels.)

Spontaneous Domain could work. Cloistered Cleric would take a BAB hit that would lose the third iterative

The concentration based save maneuvers are through the martial study feat (x3), so IL is irrelevant.

I don't see why Improved Critical wouldn't work...confirming a crit would offset the save reduction...

I've already got the Chosen of Mystra template, so I'm pretty sure I won't get a second one.

I don't know why they even made a whale a playable character...

Chronos
2023-06-08, 09:24 PM
You still need to meet all prerequisites for a maneuver gained through Martial Study, including initiator level (if you don't have any Tome of Battle class, your IL is half your character level).

Saintheart
2023-06-08, 09:50 PM
Other stuff:

- Bracers of the Blast Barrier (MIC, 3,200 gp), in case you need to use that spellfire as a wall rather than a blasty thing. Works on SLAs, works on spellfire therefore (and would work on your Chosen of Mystra toys too).

- Arctic (Ice Dweller) template (Dragon #306. p. 61): +2 to CON, -2 to CHA, adjustments to [cold] and [fire] saves, pick up ray of frost 1/day as a 1st level caster as a spell-like ability. No level adjustment.

RNightstalker
2023-06-09, 03:45 PM
I'll come back with some more detailed thoughts later, but a couple of interesting hooks on spellfire are that (a) it's a (Su) ability, so anything that enhances supernatural abilities applies, and (b) the rules for spellfire say that although it's a (Su) ability, "magic items and spells" that affect SLAs also affect spellfire. Which means Bracers of the Entangling Blast work on it.

That aside, though, I would really look for anything you could find that scales up with levels, because those Spellfire Channeller levels are empty as hell, don't advance spellcasting, and have a BAB 5/10. If I had to make a one-level suggestion, it'd be build towards Rogue and take Craven, at least that way your spellfire gets some sneak attack damage in it -- and that damage might well be extra spellfire damage (since it's not a spell and therefore appears to sneak through Rules Compendium's painful rules on spell damage being always hitpoint damage.)

As said, will try and look up more specific stuff later.

EDIT: First one - Empower Supernatural Ability. 1/day you might as well boost the spellfire's damage.

Good pull. I will see if I can get ability focus as well, and maybe widen/enlarge for the area blast. I'll talk to the DM about being able to change the reflex saving throw thing, make it ability modifier based.

You still need to meet all prerequisites for a maneuver gained through Martial Study, including initiator level (if you don't have any Tome of Battle class, your IL is half your character level).

Thankfully there aren't any listed prerequisites for the ones I'm after.

Other stuff:

- Bracers of the Blast Barrier (MIC, 3,200 gp), in case you need to use that spellfire as a wall rather than a blasty thing. Works on SLAs, works on spellfire therefore (and would work on your Chosen of Mystra toys too).

- Arctic (Ice Dweller) template (Dragon #306. p. 61): +2 to CON, -2 to CHA, adjustments to [cold] and [fire] saves, pick up ray of frost 1/day as a 1st level caster as a spell-like ability. No level adjustment.

The bracers are a great pull, thanks. I've already got the CoM template so I'm not going to press my luck there.

Thanks all, that's awesome. Keep 'em coming if you've got anymore!

Paragon
2023-06-09, 04:11 PM
You still need the required Initiator Level, no matter if the entry mentions previous maneuvers or not.

It doesn't seem to be where you're heading but I built an Instantaneous Rage + Mad Foam Rager combo to be able to rage as an immediate action and therefore delay the effect of a spell until next turn so that you can actually ready that action to absorb spells when you know what you're walking into.
Raging also boosts your Con so it's really a good fit.

Furthermore the Iron Chef round on Spellfire Channeler has had several methods to replenish your stock ; dragon shaman at will feather fall, mind blade +1 at will manifestation, ...
You might want to look into it

RNightstalker
2023-06-09, 08:27 PM
You still need the required Initiator Level, no matter if the entry mentions previous maneuvers or not.

It doesn't seem to be where you're heading but I built an Instantaneous Rage + Mad Foam Rager combo to be able to rage as an immediate action and therefore delay the effect of a spell until next turn so that you can actually ready that action to absorb spells when you know what you're walking into.
Raging also boosts your Con so it's really a good fit.

Furthermore the Iron Chef round on Spellfire Channeler has had several methods to replenish your stock ; dragon shaman at will feather fall, mind blade +1 at will manifestation, ...
You might want to look into it

Yeah I still keep forgetting about IL...Swordsage is my next character for sure. I did check out the Iron Chef, I'll just lay off the cheese and buy a crap ton of Universal solvent, maybe hang on to a few other decent loot items to charge up with.