PDA

View Full Version : Dashing, chasing and hiding rules help.

DruidAlanon
2023-06-09, 07:21 AM
I have being trying to find how chasing works after a recent encounter.

To give some context, after a short battle, a medium humanoid enemy (with the mobile feat and after casting kinetic jaunt) started dashing over difficult terrain to escape.

So I just wanted to double-check how this works raw.

Through mobile, when dashing, the humanoid can move up to 80ft on difficult terrain, ignoring the half movement penalty. If he decides to attempt to hide after a couple of rounds of dashing, he moves 20ft (half movement applies as he cannot dash). and then attempts a Stealth check.

Then, assuming heroes fail their initial passive perception check, the humanoid can move while hidden. Can he continue dashing while staying hidden?

Assumme a rocky terrain with the eoccasional big rock that provides full cover without having to stay prone/crawl.

Could you provide some guidance on how you would play out this scenario?

stoutstien
2023-06-09, 07:29 AM
Honestly once one side or another is attempting to end combat I just drop out of it. Reading the rules at that point will just you have going in circles. And that's before you get to try to reconcile using PC mechanics on NPCs.

DruidAlanon
2023-06-09, 07:32 AM
Honestly once one side or another is attempting to end combat I just drop out of it. Reading the rules at that point will just have going in circles.

That makes sense.

Unoriginal
2023-06-09, 08:00 AM
I have being trying to find how chasing works after a recent encounter.

To give some context, after a short battle, a medium humanoid enemy (with the mobile feat and after casting kinetic jaunt) started dashing over difficult terrain to escape.

So I just wanted to double-check how this works raw.

Through mobile, when dashing, the humanoid can move up to 80ft on difficult terrain, ignoring the half movement penalty. If he decides to attempt to hide after a couple of rounds of dashing, he moves 20ft (half movement applies as he cannot dash). and then attempts a Stealth check.

Then, assuming heroes fail their initial passive perception check, the humanoid can move while hidden. Can he continue dashing while staying hidden?

Assumme a rocky terrain with the eoccasional big rock that provides full cover without having to stay prone/crawl.

Could you provide some guidance on how you would play out this scenario?

I don't recall anything stating you can't Dash and be hidden.

Only question would be if the NPC, while Dashing, does enough noise to be noticed by the PCs at the distance they'll be when they start Dashing.

DruidAlanon
2023-06-09, 08:18 AM
I don't recall anything stating you can't Dash and be hidden.

This is indeed the case. Unfortunately, there are no explicit rules as far as I know, on what interactions are required to stay hidden while moving (e.g., obviously if behind a huge rock you can dash and nobody sees you, at least until the end of your full cover), but if you are hidden partly in the shadows without half-cover or anything similar, cleary dashing could allow others to see you? I understand this is easily handled by a DM in a case by case scenario, but I find it awkward that there doesn't seem to be some guidance in any official material.

Unoriginal
2023-06-09, 08:27 AM
This is indeed the case. Unfortunately, there are no explicit rules as far as I know, on what interactions are required to stay hidden while moving (e.g., obviously if behind a huge rock you can dash and nobody sees you, at least until the end of your full cover), but if you are hidden partly in the shadows without half-cover or anything similar, cleary dashing could allow others to see you? I understand this is easily handled by a DM in a case by case scenario, but I find it awkward that there doesn't seem to be some guidance in any official material.

Would moving without Dashing make the NPC seen?

If yes, then it doesn't matter if they Dash or not.

If no, then Dashing won't make them more visible.

That being said, if I were the NPC and managed to hide while a bunch of adventurers was running after me, I would stay in the same spot, let them run past me, then once they are far enough away to not see me in the rocks I would calmly go in the direction of where I know they are not, ie the direction of the spot where I started running.

DruidAlanon
2023-06-09, 08:56 AM
Would moving without Dashing make the NPC seen?

If yes, then it doesn't matter if they Dash or not.

If no, then Dashing won't make them more visible.

That being said, if I were the NPC and managed to hide while a bunch of adventurers was running after me, I would stay in the same spot, let them run past me, then once they are far enough away to not see me in the rocks I would calmly go in the direction of where I know they are not, ie the direction of the spot where I started running.

Correct. As long as it doesn't take a new action to Stealth, dashing shouldn't break it.

da newt
2023-06-09, 10:11 AM
Once hidden (an action and successful stealth check) the person can only move at half speed if they are trying to remain hidden and there is some cover.

They can still use their action to dash (and/or BA if they have cunning actions).

Moving stealthily does not change any of the Mobile feat's abilities - they are limited to 1/2 speed though.

DruidAlanon
2023-06-09, 10:28 AM
Once hidden (an action and successful stealth check) the person can only move at half speed if they are trying to remain hidden and there is some cover.

They can still use their action to dash (and/or BA if they have cunning actions).

Moving stealthily does not change any of the Mobile feat's abilities - they are limited to 1/2 speed though.

Could you please provide the reference for this?

stoutstien
2023-06-09, 10:46 AM
Could you please provide the reference for this?

I think they are confusing the overland travel speed on 128. The rest is up to GM.

Silly Name
2023-06-09, 10:56 AM
Per the DMG rules on Chases (p. 252), the moment the "quarry" manages to succesfully hide from the pursuers, the chase is over. Unless leaving its hiding spot absolutely demands the quarry to show themselves out in the open, you can just assume they eventually manage to abandon the area safely and not worry about how much movement they can make.