PDA

View Full Version : Age of Fable - free, online RPG

Jolly Steve
2007-12-06, 03:51 AM
I've made this free, retro-style game, which is at www.ageoffable.net - any feedback is welcome.

LongVin
2007-12-06, 12:49 PM
Pretty good.

GimliFett
2007-12-06, 01:08 PM
Pretty neat! Playing through on my lunch break. :smallbiggrin:

playswithfire
2007-12-06, 01:13 PM
Interesting. Got an end I did not expect. will probably continue experimenting with this

Frosty
2007-12-06, 02:53 PM
I'm playing it. I seem tio lose money really quickly :p

GimliFett
2007-12-06, 02:54 PM
Accidentally closed my window/game. ARGH! I was 2nd level and reallly enjoying it. A save feature of some sort would be nice, I think. I don't know the logistics of that sort of setup, but I wanted to comment. I really love the game, and will let others know of it and continue to play more myself. :smallbiggrin:

Hyfigh
2007-12-06, 04:28 PM
I'm having a blast! Great work!

Prometheus
2007-12-06, 06:14 PM
I like it a lot, although I kind of feel like a Deus Ex Machina return to a well known spot would be preferable to ending the game when you reach somewhere that hasn't yet been coded.

Darkxarth
2007-12-06, 06:37 PM
Well, I played as the Faun and it was fantastic, at least as far as I got. After a certain point in the story, it pretty much froze. But, I'm getting ready to start over and I just want to say this game is great!

Bag_of_Holding
2007-12-06, 06:54 PM
Wow, this is great! I'm playing as a fairy (Aww...) and enjoying it immensely.

RTGoodman
2007-12-06, 07:04 PM
I like it, but I had two rather abrupt end-games. The first time I just got somewhere that said it hadn't been created yet, so game over. Then I started over and ended up in a city full of dead people and died after burying them - it was pretty sad...

Mr. Friendly
2007-12-06, 07:10 PM
Pretty spiffy!

Keep up the good work!

Glawackus
2007-12-06, 07:27 PM
I dig the medieval/Renaissance art and the little glimpses of lore...is there a backstory to this, or did you just make it up as you went along? It seems to me as if this could be a really cool campaign setting (and hey, all that art's in the public domain now, too! :smallsmile:)

Zeful
2007-12-06, 07:57 PM
This seems interesting but the pictures seem so random.

Mewtarthio
2007-12-06, 08:02 PM
The FAQ should include an entry on what, exactly, Heroism does. Yeah, I know now that it measures your resolve and courage in the face of adversity, but only after losing a bunch of Heroism doing mundane jobs and eventually failing my Heroism roll against resigning myself to life as a frog. Oh, well. That's what first games are for, right?

Oh, and Zeful, you just lost the game. :tongue:

Zeful
2007-12-06, 08:24 PM
Several time actually but this is really confusing

Perducci
2007-12-06, 09:43 PM
I like this, but I keep getting to parts where the game isn't finished....it's aggravating.

Yeygresh
2007-12-06, 10:01 PM
A very enjoyable game you have here! I'm sorry I can't comment more than that, I want to get back to playing :]

Also:

The main road out of Karrakara is crowded, as it would be at any time of the day or night.

You see what looks like a large bird, coming towards you. As it gets closer you see that it's a man on a flying carpet. He is richly dressed, and has a bird made of fire.

He lands in front of you. 'I am Prince Dimitri!' he announces in a booming voice. 'You look like a trustworthy type - here, take care of this for me!' He hands you a bag, and flies off as suddenly as he appeared. You look inside the bag, and are astonished to find that it's full of cowrie shells.

gain 100 shells

Somewhat bewildered, you continue your journey.

Sweet!

hamstard4ever
2007-12-06, 10:05 PM
This is awesome! I love the sense of humor of the game: the Temple of Pie, the "G-rated" ghosts... brilliant.

My one complaint is that the fade-in/out is a little slow for my tastes. Other than that, this is great.

Vectner
2007-12-06, 10:52 PM
Tons of fun. It reminds me of those old choose your own adventure books. I like how you can go back and try a different options.

Darkxarth
2007-12-06, 11:11 PM
This is awesome! I love the sense of humor of the game: the Temple of Pie, the "G-rated" ghosts... brilliant.

Have you gotten the Ugly Stick? That was what did it for me! :smallbiggrin:

philippos
2007-12-07, 01:16 AM
This game is a superfun choose your own adventure story, with chance built in!! sweet. but the getting to the unwritten parts is a little bothersome, dont know if the coding is too hard but you could always have a return to karrakara option on parts that aren't finished. otherwise very cool.

de-trick
2007-12-07, 01:21 AM
I won at level 1, but good game

Dragonmuncher
2007-12-07, 01:33 AM
Awesomeness.

I had a problem here: http://www.apolitical.info/webgame/game.php?para=Atnosha&carry=8389525&street=2&weapon=3&world=!.!.!.!!.........!........!!..!.!.......!!.! .!...!...!!!..!!!........!!..!......!.......!!.... !!.!.....!...!.!!!.......!!!..!!!!!!......!.!..!.! !!.....!.!..!!...!....!.!!!...!................... ......&blessings=1112211111111&prof=16&shells=107&name=&maxsta=10&rolls=:D5:%3EI9%3C;9%3C9

It was all NON-EXISTENT ATTRIBUTE and really slowed down the comp for a moment.

Hm... only thing I can think of is that I wish more of the items DID more. Like, I got a box, and a goblin cloak, and an Ugly Stick, and that Mysterious Box, and a medallion, and more, and very little of it ever became relevant. I mean, it was cool seeing that stuff, but I wish I could have beaten someone with my Ugly Stick. Maybe I just didn't get to that part?

And I was extremely disappointed when I got to a "I haven't written this part yet" section. By the dancing guys in the street, I believe it was.

Hm... I just finished being a magic guy. Now I think I'll be a streetwise guy. With more stamina! I kept feeling I was about to die any moment...

Bosh
2007-12-07, 02:33 AM
Cool little game. Lots of bits keep on getting my character beat up or killed. I had the most fun so far with a bard character, max charisma and fairly sneaky but useless in combat.

How do you gain a level? I adventured quite a bit and couldn't seem to gain one...

ghost_warlock
2007-12-07, 03:11 AM
That was actually a lot of fun. :smallsmile:

Started out with a custom character (scoundrel) and ended up a knight. I was a bit annoyed that, after min/maxing seafaring into the toliet the game randomly decided to make me start on a boat. After that, I mostly roamed around town until I almost ran out of money and lost by becoming a complete and utter b@$tard! :smallfrown:

Ending stats:
Stamina: 5/13 ( near death)
Charisma: 17 ( beautiful)
Duelling: 10 ( average)
Brawling: 6 ( weak)
Seafaring: 1 ( terrible)
Magic: 10 ( fair)
Heroism: 1 ( wicked)
Scouting: 10 ( fair)
Roguery: 16 ( great)
Luck: 25 ( blessed)
Healing: 5 ( mediocre)
Streetwise: 19 ( cunning as a ****house rat)

Level:1 Cowrie Shells:5

Blessings:
Charisma (1)
Shelter (2)

Items:
your war-hammer
magic fur
Ugly Stick
Piteous Mew

Bosh
2007-12-07, 03:19 AM
Hmmmm I think a really good fix would be any time you get to a dead end you get the option of going back to the city instead of having the game end, that would make it possible to avoid getting dead-ended...

ghost_warlock
2007-12-07, 03:23 AM
Oh, and I noticed that, once my Stamina/health started to decline, I tried to go to the temple district to buy healing it was apparently no longer an option. What happened to it? :smallfrown:

Bosh
2007-12-07, 03:28 AM
Oh, and I noticed that, once my Stamina/health started to decline, I tried to go to the temple district to buy healing it was apparently no longer an option. What happened to it? :smallfrown:

You're too poor. Go the halfling temple at the docks and eat pie instead (if you're honorable).

ghost_warlock
2007-12-07, 04:15 AM
Okay, made it to an unfinished part this time. :smallsmile:

Ending stats:

Abanazir Hekabe
faun

Stamina: 8/14 ( sickly)
Charisma: 20 ( mesmerising)
Duelling: 1 ( clumsy)
Brawling: 7 ( unremarkable)
Seafaring: 1 ( terrible)
Magic: 20 ( overwhelming)
Heroism: 1 ( wicked)
Scouting: 13 ( good)
Roguery: 20 ( legendary)
Luck: 18 ( charmed)
Healing: 10 ( fair)
Streetwise: 17 ( cunning as a fox)

Level:1 Cowrie Shells:57

Blessings:
Charisma (3)
Duelling (6)
Brawling (1)
Seafaring (1)
Magic (2)
Heroism (1)
Roguery (9)
Luck (9)
Streetwise (4)
Shelter (1)

Items:
your club
dwarven medallion
crown
black pearl
box from the armoured hut
glass bottle
magic fur

Companions:
Imp
Piteous Mew
I had Oryun, too, but he left after all I did was roam around town for a while. :smallfrown:

BTW, you may want to put a limit on how many times you can try to get a blessing for free...may stop the unscrupulous (like me) from seriously weighing the odds in their favor.

Oh, and is it possible right now to make amends for the murder? :smallamused:

@V: Great! Now I know how to save so I can continue playing my b@$tard faun when more is scripted! :smallbiggrin:

Jolly Steve
2007-12-07, 04:15 AM
Accidentally closed my window/game. ARGH! I was 2nd level and reallly enjoying it. A save feature of some sort would be nice, I think. I don't know the logistics of that sort of setup, but I wanted to comment. I really love the game, and will let others know of it and continue to play more myself. :smallbiggrin:

Thanks! There's a sort of 'save game' feature; next to each choice, there's a picture of an inkwell and quill. If you click it, it gives you a string of text. If you copy that string of text into any web browser, you can start the game with the same stats etc, making the relevant choice.

Jolly Steve
2007-12-07, 04:29 AM
I had a problem here: http://www.apolitical.info/webgame/game.php?para=Atnosha&carry=8389525&street=2&weapon=3&world=!.!.!.!!.........!........!!..!.!.......!!.! .!...!...!!!..!!!........!!..!......!.......!!.... !!.!.....!...!.!!!.......!!!..!!!!!!......!.!..!.! !!.....!.!..!!...!....!.!!!...!................... ......&blessings=1112211111111&prof=16&shells=107&name=&maxsta=10&rolls=:D5:%3EI9%3C;9%3C9

It was all NON-EXISTENT ATTRIBUTE and really slowed down the comp for a moment.

Thanks for posting this - I've fixed it now. The game probably has more errors, so please post them.

I'll reply to your other comments, and everyone else's, as I get time.

Bosh
2007-12-07, 05:19 AM
*after mucking around in the game some more instead of working*

Damn, what did you use to program this thing? Whatever it is I want it :)

ghost_warlock
2007-12-07, 05:59 AM
Another thing, why does Dmitri (or whatever his name is) always come and steal all my clams when I get over 80-or-so? And does he really have to completely clean me out? :smallfrown:

squishycube
2007-12-07, 06:20 AM
Very nice, I like the artwork.

I died as a level 1 troll at the hands of the Colossus..

Kolbur
2007-12-07, 06:24 AM
Nice Game!

My Dwarf died from a wound he got by a neckweasel! :smallbiggrin:
He had a hell of stamina, but he couldn't heal the wound, slowly dying over several days. He found no way to heal it in the city of Karrakara.

Hario
2007-12-07, 12:26 PM
Nice Game!

My Dwarf died from a wound he got by a neckweasel! :smallbiggrin:
He had a hell of stamina, but he couldn't heal the wound, slowly dying over several days. He found no way to heal it in the city of Karrakara.
You can go into the hobbit pie temple and get free healing, over and over again.

Mewtarthio
2007-12-07, 12:36 PM
Started out with a custom character (scoundrel) and ended up a knight. I was a bit annoyed that, after min/maxing seafaring into the toliet the game randomly decided to make me start on a boat. After that, I mostly roamed around town until I almost ran out of money and lost by becoming a complete and utter b@$tard! :smallfrown:

I think you always start on the boat by default unless you play a faun. Right now, I intend to try playing a pirate and successfully sailing away from Karrak without getting shipwrecked.

By the way, how do you level up? I've never seemed to be able to leave level 1.

ghost_warlock
2007-12-07, 12:46 PM
I'm not sure how you level up, but my last try got me to 5th level by the time I got to the end...

hamstard4ever
2007-12-07, 12:50 PM
I am beginning to notice a pattern in some of the encounters. I have a sneaking suspicion that the whole game is nothing but stealth Communist propaganda. Undoubtedly it is a sinister Soviet plot, like Tetris. :smalltongue:

It is frustratingly easy to run out of game to play once you start heading into the hills. I hope this area gets fleshed out soon, or at least has a route added to get back to Karakarra. There are a few other unfinished ends, but the other ones I've found are all highly specific.

Another thing, why does Dmitri (or whatever his name is) always come and steal all my clams when I get over 80-or-so? And does he really have to completely clean me out? :smallfrown:

Because they're his shells, remember? He just gave them to you in the trust that you would look after them for a while. Everybody knows wealthy foreigners often entrust large sums of money to people at random (http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/nigeria.asp).

Unless he's stealing your shells before you encounter him the first time... which is either a bug, or a more true-to-life version than the Dmitri encounters I've had.

Hm... only thing I can think of is that I wish more of the items DID more. Like, I got a box, and a goblin cloak, and an Ugly Stick, and that Mysterious Box, and a medallion, and more, and very little of it ever became relevant. I mean, it was cool seeing that stuff, but I wish I could have beaten someone with my Ugly Stick. Maybe I just didn't get to that part?

I agree. Most of the items don't seem to do much except the ocassional trade.

Skarnkai
2007-12-07, 03:29 PM
The Goblin Cloak gives the +3 scouting only I think (thus far). Amusingly enough, the Ugly stick intimidates the creature inside the colossus. Decent game but far too short and has dead ends.

Thane of Fife
2007-12-07, 03:52 PM
It reminds me quite a bit of the old Quest adventure book thingies.

Which is good, because those were awesome.

Grey Watcher
2007-12-07, 05:19 PM

Odd, my only encounter with Dimitri involved him GIVING me money. Well, specifically, he said I looked trustworthy and asked me to hold them for him.

Oh, and my lizardman got crushed to death by the Colossus. :smalleek:

Crow
2007-12-07, 05:24 PM
My barbarian fell off a wall and broke his leg. It left him sitting on his butt with a pack of wild dogs drawing near...

Jolly Steve
2007-12-07, 05:50 PM
Thanks to everyone for their feedback, but can people please try not to post unmarked spoilers?

Mewtarthio
2007-12-07, 05:57 PM
I agree. Most of the items don't seem to do much except the ocassional trade.

The Black Pearl, which can be acquired through a few random encounters in the city, can be used to control the spaceship on one of the islands.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-12-07, 06:01 PM
I got my throat cut be a bunch of thieves after being trained in magic be a witch.

Karsh
2007-12-07, 06:31 PM
Problem: Once you've leveled up a few times, it becomes impossible to raise any of your non-amazing stats because you can never beat the DC, much less exceed it by 5. You should probably include a way to deal with that.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-12-07, 06:46 PM
Wow. This character is very unlucky. Despite having 15 in luck.

He doesn't pay tribute to the gods, gets sunk, ends up on a beach, tries building a raft, fails, tries swimming. fails, goes into a forest, encounters a dragon, runs away, and tries building another raft and dying.

My new character actually made it to level 2 twice. And is still alive.

Zeful
2007-12-07, 08:45 PM
Because you need a sea fairing not luck. This game is addictive though.

I got something weird
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ';', expecting ')' in /home/apolitic/www/www/webgame/game.php on line 661

Jolly Steve
2007-12-07, 09:15 PM
I like it a lot, although I kind of feel like a Deus Ex Machina return to a well known spot would be preferable to ending the game when you reach somewhere that hasn't yet been coded.

Thanks for the suggestion - I've changed it so it now does that.

Jolly Steve
2007-12-07, 09:19 PM
Because you need a sea fairing not luck. This game is addictive though.

I got something weird

This happens when I update the game, but make an error. Because I check whether it loads properly each time I update it, I should notice it straight away and fix it. This particular example of that is now fixed. If it happens again, usually just wait a bit and I'll have fixed it.

Dragonmuncher
2007-12-08, 12:50 AM
Some thoughts on another playthrough (with a dwarf yayyy!)

I love this line:

Everyone on the streets is talking about the mysterious playwright, who arrived in town promising to set the stage on fire. Sadly, on the opening night of his first play it turned out that he meant it literally. Opinion is divided over whether anyone has the right to yell 'theatre' in a crowded fire.

I approve of the "you've reached the end, now the god of unfinished things is sending you back to karrakka"

I wish there was some way to "train" in skills. I really like this dwarf character, and so far I've gotten a lot of stuff with him! But my Streetwise skill is ABYSMAL, and I can't seem to find many more outdoorsy quests.

I've gotten and set free a unicorn, yet I still seem to be being charged a shell for stabling when I'm at an inn in the city.

I have a crown? Where did I get a crown from?

I want to go to the special out-of-town brawling camp and become a professional wrestler! DAMN YOU, GOD OF UNFINISHED THINGS!

Heh, ok, I'm done. Here's my finished character. Yay, level 4! gone from 0 shells to like 150, and back down to 9...
Cantus Severon
dwarf

Stamina: 22/25 ( robust)
Charisma: 19 ( mesmerising)
Duelling: 15 ( agile)
Brawling: 19 ( legendary)
Seafaring: 4 ( poor)
Magic: 5 ( mediocre)
Heroism: 18 ( good-hearted)
Scouting: 23 ( legendary)
Roguery: 8 ( fair)
Luck: 13 ( lucky)
Healing: 12 ( good)
Streetwise: 6 ( foolish)

Level:4 Cowrie Shells:9

Blessings:
Stamina (1)
Seafaring (1)
Scouting (1)
Streetwise (3)

Items:
Rod of Puerile Humour
goblin-tailored cloak
dwarven medallion
crown
glass bottle
drum
neckweasel

Jolly Steve
2007-12-08, 01:26 AM
I've added a new feature, where you can enter a name for your character, instead of it being generated randomly.

Rockphed
2007-12-08, 02:14 AM
Whenever I try to load the game, I am somehow made an insanely high level with negative 48 in all abilities. Either this is a bug, or I am doing something wrong.

Is the Game supposed to end when you release the Unicorn?

Anteros
2007-12-08, 02:37 AM
Ran into a bug where when my stamina advanced from 16 to 17 it killed me.

Jolly Steve
2007-12-08, 05:31 AM
Ran into a bug where when my stamina advanced from 16 to 17 it killed me.

Can you remember where you were etc?

Jolly Steve
2007-12-08, 05:33 AM
Whenever I try to load the game, I am somehow made an insanely high level with negative 48 in all abilities. Either this is a bug, or I am doing something wrong.

Is the Game supposed to end when you release the Unicorn?

loading the game: can you post or PM me the string that you're pasting into your browser?

no, it's not supposed to end then, I"ll look into that.

Jolly Steve
2007-12-08, 05:54 AM
I've gotten and set free a unicorn, yet I still seem to be being charged a shell for stabling when I'm at an inn in the city.

Thanks for finding this - it was an error, which I've hopefully now fixed.

Zeful
2007-12-08, 01:36 PM
I'm starting to like this game but I've got one issue. Character creation takes a long time with clicking each hyperlink for atributes/skills, maybe a drop-down style selection would work faster. That way we could just run through character creation and get to the game.

Dragonmuncher
2007-12-08, 03:33 PM
About the mermaid:

Does listening to the mermaid really make you unable to drown?

Zenos
2007-12-08, 03:44 PM
Very good, although I dislike not being able to save my character. I had a neat setup .

Jolly Steve
2007-12-08, 06:45 PM
Very good, although I dislike not being able to save my character. I had a neat setup .

The little pictures of the inkwell and quill next to each choice let you save your game.

Talic
2007-12-09, 03:33 AM
awesome, awesome game, first off.

That said...

I received an error message. Parse error, some sort of syntax error. The save link that results in it is right here:

http://www.apolitical.info/webgame/game.php?para=176&carry=4196369&street=2&weapon=2&world=!.!.......................!!!............... ................!....!....!!.!!.........!......... !!......................!...!!.................... ..........................!....................... ......&blessings=1111111112111&prof=15&shells=0&rolls===11=JF418D?

Mewtarthio
2007-12-09, 03:50 AM
About the mermaid:

There's no "s" in the spoiler tag. It should be written:

Text to be spoiled

yeilding:

Text to be spoiled

Dragonmuncher
2007-12-10, 12:48 AM
Found another bug.

For some reason, when my character gets to a certain point, he makes a healing check, fails it, and gets The End. Nothing about not surviving, and I have full hitpoints, just The End. Don't have a wound in my shoulder and I had just gotten the murder-guilt thing healed, as well.

http://www.apolitical.info/webgame/game.php?para=271&carry=12584241&street=2&weapon=7&world=!.!.!!.!.....!.!..........!!....!!......!!.. .!...!!!!!!.!...!.!....!!!!!.!...!.........!...... !!..!..!.!!!....!........!..!!..!.!!....!...!....! !.!.!.!!!!...!...!....!!!.!...!......!............ ......&blessings=1111221111111&prof=18&shells=7&name=Bright%20Skin%20Young%20Jewel&maxsta=24&rolls=G1CD5MFH1851

Jolly Steve
2007-12-10, 02:27 AM

That said...

I received an error message. Parse error, some sort of syntax error. The save link that results in it is right here:

Hi,

That link now works. The reason you got the error is because I was updating the game, and typed something wrongly, meaning that the game won't load properly. Once I fix it, it'll work fine. So, if you get that same error again, just wait for 20 minutes or so and try again.

Jolly Steve
2007-12-10, 02:35 AM

That said...

I received an error message. Parse error, some sort of syntax error. The save link that results in it is right here...

This also made me notice that the 'save game' wasn't saving characters' names. This is now fixed.

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-10, 02:47 AM
I have a sudden desire to play a wizard with a cat.

named Piteous Mew

Jolly Steve
2007-12-10, 02:57 AM
Found another bug.

For some reason, when my character gets to a certain point, he makes a healing check, fails it, and gets The End...

This was an error (a side-plot that I've now decided not to write), which I've now fixed.

Jolly Steve
2007-12-10, 07:43 AM
I dig the medieval/Renaissance art and the little glimpses of lore...is there a backstory to this, or did you just make it up as you went along? It seems to me as if this could be a really cool campaign setting (and hey, all that art's in the public domain now, too! :smallsmile:)

Thanks!

I've deliberately avoided having a 'big story arc', for a few reasons:

i) In my experience, one thing that makes a gamebook good is individual 'cool bits', not so much a good overall story. The most popular Fighting Fantasy book is Deathtrap Dungeon, whose 'plot' is 'this guy's made a dungeon and you're trying to get through it'.

ii) In my experience, having a 'big story' can lead to forcing the players through that story, rather than giving them room to explore - and exploring is the other thing that makes a gamebook good. Also I was specifically influenced by the Fabled Lands series, which is very open-ended.

iii) I wanted to be able to put in every good idea that I had. If I had a set story, I'd probably have a set tone. So if it was dark I wouldn't be able to put in the puns, or if it was light and pun-filled I wouldn't be able to put in the grim bits.

When I make up a god or something, though, I try and have it mentioned again somewhere else in the game, so that you get a bit more of a sense of a world. Also I try not to contradict myself, eg mentioning 'hobbits' in one place and 'halflings' in another.

I do plan to have an actual ending, or endings, where you can win though.

DrummingDM
2007-12-10, 12:11 PM
Just so you know...I entered an apostrophe in my character's name, and it seems to break the display of game - each page that loads inserts another several "\" before the apostrophe. It has no effect on gameplay, but it seriously effs up the layout.

GimliFett
2007-12-10, 12:37 PM
Today's character:
Ingvar the Virtuous
troll
Stamina: 19/19 ( healthy)
Charisma: 3 ( hateful)
Duelling: 15 ( agile)
Brawling: 16 ( powerful)
Seafaring: 11 ( good)
Magic: 29 ( overwhelming)
Heroism: 31 ( heroic)
Scouting: 23 ( legendary)
Roguery: 1 ( terrible)
Luck: 22 ( blessed)
Healing: 11 ( good)
Streetwise: 2 ( babe in the woods)

Level:6 Cowrie Shells:87

Blessings:
Luck (1)

Items:
Rod of Puerile Humour
goblin-tailored cloak
crown
drum
neckweasel

Companions:
raven

Lotsa fun and thanks for allowing the Return to Karrakara.

Jolly Steve
2007-12-11, 05:45 AM
Just so you know...I entered an apostrophe in my character's name, and it seems to break the display of game - each page that loads inserts another several "\" before the apostrophe. It has no effect on gameplay, but it seriously effs up the layout.

Thanks - this is now fixed.

Jolly Steve
2007-12-11, 05:47 AM
This seems interesting but the pictures seem so random.

What do you mean by random? Like they don't have a consistent 'look' or theme?

Jolly Steve
2007-12-11, 07:22 AM
Wow, this is great! I'm playing as a fairy (Aww...) and enjoying it immensely.

Thanks. I've tried to have character types that are common in fantasy, but aren't common in role-playing games. That's why you have the option to be a fairy, pirate, courtesan, troll, etc.

Adumbration
2007-12-11, 09:27 AM
At the custom character creation, could we choose our own pictures instead of the stats forcing them? It's frustrating when you try to go for the lucky pirate and end up with a fortune teller.

Otherwise, a great game.

Ralfarius
2007-12-11, 11:26 AM
At this point, are completed adventures non-repeatable? I seem to only be managing to avoid pick-pocketing while exploring the city, washing up on the island with the forest, finding my way immediately through the hills, and either making my way out of the desert or encountering the caravan. I appreciate that this is a work in progress, but perhaps an opportunity to go back and re-explore events with the same character would be good.

Of course, if that's not an idea you like, I can always go back and generate a new character to explore other avenues.

Here's my current status:
http://www.apolitical.info/webgame/game.php?para=Karradimitriend1&carry=2507703&street=2&weapon=4&world=..!.!!.!........!.........!!...........!!!.! .....!!.!!!!..!.!....!.!!!!..!!....!!!.....!...... !!....!!!!!!.!!!!.!.!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!...!....!!.!.! !!.!!.!!!!...!!..!..!.!!!.!...!......!............ ......&blessings=1121112112211&name=Ingvar%20Athousandapologies&prof=9&shells=32&name=Ingvar%20Athousandapologies&maxsta=20&rolls=DF??68CE5=%3E5

Jolly Steve
2007-12-11, 04:06 PM
At this point, are completed adventures non-repeatable? I seem to only be managing to avoid pick-pocketing while exploring the city, washing up on the island with the forest, finding my way immediately through the hills, and either making my way out of the desert or encountering the caravan. I appreciate that this is a work in progress, but perhaps an opportunity to go back and re-explore events with the same character would be good.

Of course, if that's not an idea you like, I can always go back and generate a new character to explore other avenues.

Here's my current status:
http://www.apolitical.info/webgame/game.php?para=Karradimitriend1&carry=2507703&street=2&weapon=4&world=..!.!!.!........!.........!!...........!!!.! .....!!.!!!!..!.!....!.!!!!..!!....!!!.....!...... !!....!!!!!!.!!!!.!.!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!...!....!!.!.! !!.!!.!!!!...!!..!..!.!!!.!...!......!............ ......&blessings=1121112112211&name=Ingvar%20Athousandapologies&prof=9&shells=32&name=Ingvar%20Athousandapologies&maxsta=20&rolls=DF??68CE5=%3E5

Yes - most encounters will only happen once. What's meant to happen is that there's a 'final quest' that happens before you run out of options, but...work in progress. :smallredface:

Ralfarius
2007-12-11, 08:00 PM
In any event, keep up the good work. This is a wonderful diversion, thus far.

Jolly Steve
2007-12-12, 07:47 AM
At the custom character creation, could we choose our own pictures instead of the stats forcing them? It's frustrating when you try to go for the lucky pirate and end up with a fortune teller.

Otherwise, a great game.

Thanks!

I've changed the custom character creation a little bit - it now shows you what character you're going to be. So if you're trying for a particular type there's less clicking at least.

I'm a bit reluctant to divorce the character type from the stats, though, because really the game is almost entirely about the stats. There are some points where what happens depends on character type, but many more where it's saving rolls on various stats. The character type is mainly there as a shorthand for what your combination of stats is roughly like.

ThunderEagle
2007-12-12, 03:27 PM
you sir are brilliant. this game is awesome. do you want a cookie for your highly funny game?

TheOtherMC
2007-12-12, 03:35 PM
"Sir Few Clothes the Unwanted Guest" is now my new favorite character name ever. :P

Jolly Steve
2007-12-13, 05:06 AM
you sir are brilliant. this game is awesome. do you want a cookie for your highly funny game?

:smallbiggrin:

Jolly Steve
2007-12-13, 05:09 AM
How do you gain a level? I adventured quite a bit and couldn't seem to gain one...

What level you are is based on the totals of your attributes at the time. You can lose levels as well as gain them, for example if your Stamina goes down from being wounded.

As a few people have pointed out, the levels system doesn't really work very well, and I'm considering how to alter it.

Jolly Steve
2007-12-13, 05:11 AM
I was a bit annoyed that, after min/maxing seafaring into the toliet the game randomly decided to make me start on a boat.

It's not quite random - but more than that would be a spoiler.

Jolly Steve
2007-12-13, 05:23 AM
BTW, you may want to put a limit on how many times you can try to get a blessing for free...may stop the unscrupulous (like me) from seriously weighing the odds in their favor.

This alerted me to the fact that it was possible to get blessings without any penalty. Not any more...:smallamused:

Jolly Steve
2007-12-14, 05:32 AM
I'm starting to like this game but I've got one issue. Character creation takes a long time with clicking each hyperlink for atributes/skills, maybe a drop-down style selection would work faster. That way we could just run through character creation and get to the game.

I thought about that - but would it be annoying not being able to see whether you were at the required total before submitting it?

Zeful
2007-12-14, 11:30 PM
No I've seen it done before, I think www.invisiblecastle.com has a drop down point-buy that counts as you select each option. So it can total as you go along.

Well good luck with that.

Tallis
2007-12-15, 02:27 AM
I like it. I think it's a little too easy to lose heroism. I accidently tanked mine going to the temples at the docks, now I keep failing heroism checks and running away. Healing could be a little easier too. But all in all I like it. It's got a good mythological/Grimms Faerie Tales feel too it.

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Chronicled
2007-12-15, 07:04 AM
Great game! Original, witty ideas, and well chosen pictures.

After playing through it a few times and enjoying it, I tried to test what the max level was (this involved overuse of the "back" button), and found a couple bugs of sorts:

1. You can "buy" cheap heroism by offering to sell the unicorn, then reniging on the deal. The rate is 2 shells per heroism point; there's also the chance that your charisma will go up.

2. This may have been mentioned in the thread: since DC's scale by character level, getting over-specialized will lead to always failing skills other than the most-focused one, even if one is extremely good at them.

Case in point (http://www.apolitical.info/webgame/game.php?para=Weigh6&carry=6968247&street=2&weapon=8&world=..!.!.!!........!!........!!....!........... .!...!!..!!...!.!.!..!.!!!!!.!!..!................ .!......!!!..!!.!.!.!!!..!.!!!!!...!......!.!!.!.! ...!!.!.!....!...!..!.!!..!...!......!............ ......&blessings=1111112211111&name=Sulia%20Bukawayo&prof=4&shells=14&maxsta=20&rolls=DE554KWI5ED2): either choice ends in death most of the time. Even with a 21 in Charisma and Luck, refusing usually ends the game.

It'd also be nice if the imp could be ditched when no longer wanted. The unicorn is sellable/releasable, but the imp's even more expensive and only helps out in one rare circumstance.

A very fun game, and I can't wait to see it added on to. Currently, I've gotten a level 7 character by making all the right choices, and I'm trying to see if that can be bumped up to 8. The main problem with that is that at this point, any check other than heroism, magic, and sometimes scouting tends to fail over 3/4 of the time. Sulia Bukawayo
bard (Actually, she was a witch to start, but I opted to drink the water to change her class title :p)

Stamina: 20/20 ( robust)
Charisma: 21 ( mesmerising)
Duelling: 5 ( slow)
Brawling: 5 ( weak)
Seafaring: 4 ( poor)
Magic: 27 ( overwhelming)
Heroism: 37 ( heroic)
Scouting: 25 ( legendary)
Roguery: 5 ( mediocre)
Luck: 21 ( blessed)
Healing: 20 ( legendary)
Streetwise: 2 ( babe in the woods)

Level:7 Cowrie Shells:13

Blessings:
Duelling (1)
Heroism (1)
Scouting (1)

Items:
your trident
goblin-tailored cloak
dwarven medallion
crown
black pearl
glass bottle
fur
drum
neckweasel

Imp
unicorn
Piteous Mew
raven

Interestingly enough, the best way to continue advancing this character is to spend a huge chunk of heroism-at least 10 points-on blessings at the docks until she's level 5. That lowers the DCs to manageable levels, while giving a nice backup for skills she's not good at.

Edit] Results after trying above method: Sulia Bukawayo
bard

Stamina: 17/20 ( healthy)
Charisma: 23 ( mesmerising)
Duelling: 5 ( slow)
Brawling: 5 ( weak)
Seafaring: 5 ( mediocre)
Magic: 29 ( overwhelming)
Heroism: 23 ( bold)
Scouting: 26 ( legendary)
Roguery: 5 ( mediocre)
Luck: 21 ( blessed)
Healing: 22 ( legendary)
Streetwise: 4 ( clueless)

Level:6 Cowrie Shells:7

Blessings:
Stamina (3)
Duelling (1)
Brawling (1)
Heroism (1)
Streetwise (5)

Items:
your trident
goblin-tailored cloak
dwarven medallion
crown
black pearl
glass bottle
fur
drum
neckweasel

Imp
Piteous Mew
raven. I don't think I can get it any higher at this point.